one needs much more than boxing

Discussion in 'MMA' started by faster than you, Sep 8, 2005.

1. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

i recently sparred a boxer who is in training for the upcoming summer games and who spars pro boxers. he had great hands, but nothing else. the first round i took him down off the clinch, then proceded to submit him with a forearm choke. the second round he avoided the clinch and played from outside. he dropped due to leg kicks within 2 minutes.
    this again proves that being excellent in one modality just isn't enough these days.
    i probably would have been dropped had i no understanding of boxing. the best anti-boxing training is boxing.

2. impala

impala New Member

yeah that's pritti obvious. if you train to play normal basketball and then suddenly play basketball where lowkicks are allowed you are going down too.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

1990 called they want their revelation back

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Classic.

Faster than you,
    Bro this is pretty much old hat... you could have easily guessed this before you ever hit the mats simply by the fact that you were sparring with a boxer and not an MMA guy.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2005
  5. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Thanks for sharing that with the group

6. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Sadly a lot of people still don't get it...

7. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

That would be because he's a boxer, not a mixed martial artist.

We already know that if someone wants to enter a MMA event, they've got to have more than boxing; but the guy train boxing, not mixed martial arts.

Now try the above on someone such as Jens Pulver (who is both a pro boxer, and a pro mixed martial artist) and you'd get quite the opposite result! :D

8. faster than you

your wit is predictable and derivative. though what you say is true, many people still can't understand it; hence, the post.

p.s. 1990 is not a group of people so using, "their," is humiliatingly incorrect.

9. faster than you

you are welcome.

10. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

*looks around*

like who? and its a saying, doesn't have to make sense.

11. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

lighten up. It was funny even if it couldn't be held to the Queen's standards. :D
    That expression is perfectly acceptable for everyday use. :D

We all understand the point you're trying to make. To some it's the obvious, thus the witty comments.

Despite needing more than just boxing to be a well rounded fighter... the vast majority of people wouldn't be able to handle a well developed boxer.

12. impala

impala New Member

Yeah, but he originally came from wrestling too.

13. Garibaldi

Garibaldi Valued Member

Which also shows you have to be more than just a wrestler too! :)

p.s Is there any point to this thread or have I just lost 10 years of my life?

14. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

How did you go boxing?

I would have taken the opportunity to work my hand skills and pick up a thing or two...

15. faster than you

yeah, i know. i was just being an ass.

16. Teryan

Teryan Valued Member

I see the point to the thread. I know alot of people who make boxers out to be a "serious-danger threat" to any MA and they would excell beyond all other single MA's in a MMA enviroment. About six months ago their was some thread on how to bead a boxer, the thread started out wiht - it will be hard and difficult to do, but it is possible.

17. impala

impala New Member

Cuz they usually got better training for comp environment. For example when i did Ving Tsung there was no comp training at all.

18. SomeGuy

SomeGuy New Member

I thought this was proven in UFC 1. Art Jimmerson anyone?

19. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

you must know a lot of people who never watched an MMA event then.

20. faster than you

unfortunately, many people ignore empirical evidence for years if not forever.