On Bad Knees And Sotokan Training

Discussion in 'Karate' started by julio kodokan, Nov 20, 2006.

1. julio kodokan

julio kodokan MUAY THAY & BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU Student

I have been a black belt in karate but one of my knees has gotten arthrosis and the beginning of main cartilage (meniscus) lesion.After stretching and local therapy it is much better and I am training again but how much of that trainning would be appropriate??? I just gave up the sochin kata and I am wondering if I should change my routine of training or style or even migrate to other MA (I am 51 years old and I am not fond of competitions just self defense, exercise and fun).Does anyone has personal experience on that depressing situation ???THANKS FOR !!!!
    ( that thread was in the disabled martial artist topic but I had only one -and very good reply!)

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

If you've got bad knees, don't do shotokan. It's just not worth putting that extra pressure on your joints if they're already in a bad state.

3. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

Yeh ..... I'm suffering now ..... I'm only 38 but did my knee playing football a few years ago ..... it's never really got back to what it was before and now am really beginning to feel the 'crunch' ......

I'm having that very same debate with myself but one thing I've definately done is ..... quit playing football ...... IT IS A CAR CRASH FOR YOUR KNEES!!!!!

4. JSKdan

JSKdan Valued Member

Hi Julio,

I have bad knees and no how you feel but you can still train, you might have to chance the way you do some things as I did.

This came from where train now and not from me but it has made all the difference.
    Some thing to try is to try and do mae geri with a sock on each foot so tha the sock does not fall off, this way you should not straighten you knee and not lock it with is not good for them.
    When it is done right, the knee should move in a circler movement and you knee is safe this way.
    The same sort a thing can be done on all your kicks so that you knee does not get lock but I am not sure that I could get it down clearly.

I hope this helps.
    Regards

5. Jaae

Jaae Valued Member

Hi Julio,
    I'm 48. There is hope for you. Visit my website and video gallery. ( All film is recent ). I have the suppleness and sharpness of a 24 year old because I train like one. But it has not always been so. Several years ago, after many years in Japanese Karate I had all the tell tale signs of intense joint wear and tear. I feared I would have to give up martial arts. Today I train in more arts and more intensely than ever. There is no secret. I will be happy to get back to you............. www.ashikarate.co.uk

Jaae

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

It seems all MAists have dodgy knees.

7. JSKdan

JSKdan Valued Member

I did not get mine from MA ;)