old taste vs new taste

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by wujibu, Jul 13, 2008.

1. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

I would like to canvas peoples views on what they think the difference between the old taste of ICMA is vs the new taste.

To me here it is: The old guys had way more subtle body mechanics and small movements, they often created routines and movements so that they could have the most force possible while not restricting their movements.

The new taste: People focus more on being aligned upright (you can see this in Di Guoyang's xingyi for instance) and focus less on developing internal force. If they focus on fighting technique, they usually stress movements exactly as they are found in the forms (in my opinion, forms are a collection of energies as opposed to strict techniques).

I don't like the new taste as much as the old taste, but it still has some very good points.
    Its much prettier than the old way of doing things and it is easier for everyone to practice, regardless of physical limitations.

But to me, the old way of Zhang Zhao Dong, Li Cun Yi, Cheng You Long, Chen Zhao Kui etc... is much better for the original martial intent of the training.

2. kingoftheforest

kingoftheforest It's Good to be the King

I have been taught that traditionally the bigger forms were begging forms and that it would eventually move into a smaller tighter form the more you practiced.

Internal martial arts are based on efficiency of motion and the less movement you do the more efficient it becomes. The whole point is to use the entire body to generate the force. Also the smaller the frame to closer into the opponent you can be helping to negate his force and helping to feel his movements more quickly.