old skool lau gar

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by quanto, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Oh I know it was a lot tougher, also even when I was fighting they alowed the black belts to straight punch in the face becasue they had "control"

also, I remember a certain member of the bristol death squads fav trick was to leave his thumb sticking out on ridge hands!!!

But still, you cant compare the force of full contact to points contact!

2. quanto

quanto Valued Member

Can anyone build a uk lar gar lineage from the old skool would it be John russell,stan brown ,steve fauklner bernard chong ,steve babbs,humphrey brooms and neville wray
    who else would sit in that time frame and going forward from there?

3. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Aside from academic interest - Is there any other reason you want a timeline/family tree?

@ Mr. O - oh yeh, points has nothing on full contact. even if it was full contact points. ;)

4. quanto

quanto Valued Member

5. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

I dont know if John Russell was ever big on the tournament side of things. Names like Steve Babbs, Alfie Lewis, Nathan Lewis, Kevin Brewerton, Sean Veria, Nevill Wray etc were the big guns in points fighting.

I have always associated John with the trad side of LG not the tourney side of it. I have never heard of him fighting in semi contact, ill have to ask him next time I see him!

He and M, Yau are the sole features in the old syllabus dvd, however its bernard chong who features in the old syllabus books with master yau. I think John started training in the mid 70's, im unsure if he was one of the original pioneers of LG but he has definately dedicated his entire life to the style without a shadow of a doubt.

6. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

OK.
    Well my lineage is:
    Master Yau
    Neville Wray
    Kevin Brewerton
    Me

Kevin is in the states, and still teaches. Though I believe jsut kickboxing, not lau gar.
    Another person Neville taught is Humphrey Broome, who still teaches lau gar in the south.

7. quanto

quanto Valued Member

8. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

No Neville never taught Humphrey he was taught directly by Master Yau. Tell Humphrey that and he'll bounce off the ceiling

9. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Really? my bad. I thought neville initially taught him.

10. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

Actually I wonder if I jumped the gun on that one, I was thinking of Humphreys Black sash years and beyond, maybe Neville did beforehand as he was working his way up through the coloured grades. You may be right there.

11. quanto

quanto Valued Member

So I take it no old boys from Lau Gar in this forum who can supply the details ?
    I thought Lauguardian etc would have been able to supply some names so its another Lau gar thread that hits the dust.

12. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Huh? How many names do you want?
    About 4 have already been mentioned.

13. lauguardian

lauguardian Valued Member

Steve Babbs, George Shore, Alvin Mighty, Frank Marius, Yvonne, Llewellyn Mark Aston, Frank Lynch, Steve Faulkner, Bernard Chong, Robert Tin, Ken Hoult. Vince Lewis; Clive Parkinson.

Most of the above were the seniors when i started in 1977, the best fighter i saw by far was Steve Babbs. i also had my 2nd ever lesson with him at his Middlesbrough club

14. quanto

quanto Valued Member

Thanks
    Were these people traditionalists/ fighters or both in your view?

15. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

What happened to Robert Tin. I never met him but I remember a Combat magazine on him during the 80's. He was a cut above the rest wasn't he Where'd he go.

16. Freud > God

Freud > God Valued Member

Those of you in the Pre - 90's era, what was your training like? How was it different to what is done today? From what i've seen of majority of the clubs in Lau Gar in the UK it doesnt look good, only a handful of Lau Gar clubs seem to be teaching people in an effective way. Lau Gar in this country seemed to have a strong reputation in the 70's and 80's, what was the difference in the training?/

17. lauguardian

lauguardian Valued Member

my first teacher was Robert Tin (up to Black sash) after that it was John Russell.

Robert is still teaching but only kickboxing now.

In my early days it was very much kickboxing/semi contact, it wasn't untill i started going to Birmingham on a Thursday night black sash lesson and then having private lessons with John Russell that i started to train differently, with alot more emphasis on stance training, short power ging training etc

18. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

By effective, do you mean "traditional"?

When I started in 94 we trained the same as we do now:
    Hard work outs at the start, lots of pushups, situps, squats etc etc
    Stretching
    Line work (about 20 mins)
    punch/kick blocks
    Forms (going through them, breaking them down etc)
    Sparring

From what both my instructors have said, this is how they learned from Neville Wray.
    We never did iron palm/iron shirt, nor hitting ourselves with chop sticks.
    We do do conditioning work which involves blocking each other over and over.

19. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Step it up a gear, stop blocking. :evil:

20. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I do that when sparring. ;)