Oh My GOD!!!!!!!!!! (Xing Yi techniques)

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Angelsweet, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

Have I gone mad?

Sorry, but i'm confused.

I thought that i'd started a thread about a video clip of someone performing appallingly bad Xing Yi Quan.

Now of course I could be wrong, but I have a sneaky idea that the thread might have been removed.

The removal of a thread that shows a clip of poor quality practice seems very strange!

Surely it is one of the roles of a forum like this to expose bad MA's and show up people that make false claims to be teaching trad CIMA's.

2. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Just tried to get in that thread through my subscriptions list, got this message:

I guess its been removed. If I remmember corectly there is something in the TOS regarding dissing teachers and such.. maybe..

3. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

I think you want Bullshido if you want to be part of the MA fraud squad :rolleyes:

4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Yes, this is a happy, friendly forum where everyone is equal, from the crappiest crappy McDojo to the super secret deadly ninja master (online black belt program avaliable, call now).

5. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Good morning honey, sleep well?

6. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

It was removed.

I hope I'm not overstepping myself by saying that the owner of the video requested it be removed.

7. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Indeed

I don't see anything about fraudbusting in there.

8. Sgt_Major

uhhhh did you even read my post? by leaving it there after an owners request to remove we would have been breaching copyright.

9. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Sorry, I wasn't replying to your post. I was continuing with the fact that it isn't MAP's "mission" to weed out fraudsters.

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Hey Sarge.. Not an expert on copyright or anything, but just out of interest.. if the persons site is listed on the internet/www, which is public domain, and then the same info is listed further on a public forum(if MAP is a public forum?), what is the copyright breach?

^^^ The above might not actually make any sense, as I do not know what I am talking about.. :eek:

11. Sgt_Major

The breach is if the owner requests it is removed, and we dont remove it, then we are breaching cr, as far as I know anyhow .... some of the admins could possibly comment further.

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I guess that makes sense.. :)

13. Angelsweet

Angelsweet Banned Banned

At least I know know!

Fair enough I suppose.

I wouldn't want MAP to get into trouble with these people.

It would be interesting to know why the person concerned would want the thread removed rather than defending themselves in public.

Surely requesting removal does nothing to aid their credibility, quite the reverse infact.

If you would like to see the clips, they are still available at www.reelingsilk.co.uk

Many people have had clips critisied in the public domain. This is the great thing about the interweb, people are no longer able to pull the proverbal wool over the eyes of innocent punters!

Still....I feel that my initial objective has been achieved.
    I posted the link to the clips, and I got a response from the performer.
    Maybe the comments made by the public on here will hopefully make the person question what it is they are doing.

14. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The person concerned requested the thread to be removed.

Due to the nature of the request ....a poster on your thread brought up the idea to harass this woman with unfriendly emails. I agreed to remove the thread.

Just so you know, she posted a small personal message for Angelsweet on her site. *

She has registered on MAP and is free to respond to your comments here.

*she notes that the admin on MAP are not allowing her to post on the forum.... but that is because her registration had not been processed

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  15. James Funaro

James Funaro Formerly "joe nobody"

So you guys a..r..e..n..'.t joining the BJJihad???
    I'm so so very cold.....

16. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

a reply at last

Ah here we are, back in the lovely heart-warming world of internet forums. I have been waiting to reply ever since Angelsweet first put up the "Oh My God!!!" thread. That thread was a ridiculously transparent attempt to disredit me, just before the next thread made your pal Chris (middleway)look wonderful. The thread about his seminar was as sycophantic as the thread about me was puerile. (You'll have to admit that comments about my Yorkshire accent and "the stench of wippets" were a bit ridiculous. I eat soft southerners for breakfast - so be warned.)

I wanted to ask Blackmantis in what way my movements contravened the six harmonies? (as stated on the removed "Oh my God!!!!" thread).

Incidentally I'll assume that as my work has been slated I have the right to respond by saying that when Luo Dexiu taught me Piquan, he described my application of it as "beautiful", so I must be doing something right, eh? Ted Mancuso at Plum Publications said the following about my Xingyi DVD:

"...Joanna Zorya's demonstration of these significant Xing Yi actions exactly matches the essence of this style. She shows a movement. Then she shows its applications. Then, crucially she shows its application with the most important of the "IFs" added. What IF the punch is blocked? What IF the opponent changes angle? ...Joanna Zorya's explanations show these major concepts at the core of her demonstration: precise, correct and mutable." [bold mine]
    - Shihfu Mancuso

On Tim Cartmell's site forum, my clips had the following comments:

"It's hard to pick a favorite technique-clip for me - but the power and smoothness of the "Sun Monkey technique" clip has to be one of my favorites."

"I don't know - I think for pure whole-body power the piquan clip is the clear stand out..." [bold mine]

So could it simply be that you guys don't know as much as you think you do? Or did you just want to dis the opposition before your friend did his seminar? Either way you know, the clip your friend middleway posted of the Xingyi seminar didn't actually look all that impressive to me, but I wouldn't generally see fit to criticise another specific individual's work. I don't normally name anyone in my own criticisms, only the state of the "internal arts" racket. Without naming names, I'd say that forums seem to be populated by people who are falling prey to "the two misconceptions" - assuming they know what they are talking about, and assuming that recognised teachers do not.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2006
  17. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Joanna it must be nasty gettin slagged like that here, I was tempted to say 'lay off' to the guys because I felt uncomfortable about the actual levels of 'criticism' (outright slaggery tbh) but thought I'd see what happened...
    Not nice when you've put a lot of time and effort into training to get flamed for it either.

An object lesson in karma you being here to 'bite back' then eh?

My own view is I don't know enuff about xing yi to say from external appearances how good or bad it is. The real proof in xing yi is when you're on the end of it ime
    I wouldnt be too hard on Chris tho, he's one of the least slagmungous people here imo and he's very very good at xing yi - having met him and been punched by him...

I stand by my 'helium' comment tho :D

welcome to the forum btw :)
    :Angel:

18. middleway

middleway Valued Member

jkzorya,

my appologies if you felt offended by my seminar thread in some way.

i am not good at xing yi. I think its quite hard to 'see' good xing yi from video or form work (exept maybe in the case of Lou de Xious videos ;) ). in your thread i simply posted a link to some Shanxi Guys doing their stuff.

all the best with your training and teaching

Chris

btw : thanks for the kind words TJB

19. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Just on this comment. I would say that this is true of everyone ... not just people on forums ... and is even true of teachers ... or people who are 'recognised' as teachers .... whatever that means ;)

I do actually find this a little strange ... i would never see you as 'opposition' ... just someone doing their thing ... like Tim Cartmell, Paul Whitrod or Alex Kozma ... all just people doing their things.

there is really no hidden aggenda from my perspective.

chris

20. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

fair enough

Fair enough then.

Taiji Butterfly:
    I think that's very true, and should probably be the ultimate test in any martial art.

Chris:
    :) That's good then - I think that anyone who practices the "internal styles" as full blown martial arts should be applauded. My apologies to you Chris if I jumped to any unfair assumptions about you.

Regards,
    Joanna