Obesity 'not individuals' fault'

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by medi, Oct 17, 2007.

1. medi

medi Sadly Passed Away - RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7047244.stm

I say let the fatties kill themselves slowly if they choose to. Can there really be anyone who doesn't know that being massively overweight is a serious health risk?

The only part of health stats is the BMI which I think is rubbish. It doesn't take into account the higher density of a toned, sculpted body like mine.

2. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Whaaaaaaaat! I heard about it on the tv this morning but didn't get the "it's not the individual's fault " bit. Balls! Of course it's the bloomin individual's fault!

Gaaah makes me mad!

3. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Its not always easy to lose weight, i have been trying for the last 3 or 4 years, i weigh between 12 to 13 stone whch has been constant all that time. I always eat healthy foods and as well as M A training a couple of times a week, my job is very physical and i do a lot of walking in my spare time, but i can't get below 12 stone. Part of the problem is due to my diabetes, which as odd as it sounds the better controlled it is the harder it is to lose weight. If my sugar levels were high all the time, i would lose weight but also risk the chance of losing my eyesight!!!!

4. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

People are ignorant and stupid. They'd rather blame their cause for getting fat on someone else instead of admiting own faults. Not just in U.K., but here in U.S. too. No one took that damn burger and shoved it down your throat.

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Sounds like you are a minority though Taffy, rather than being the "average person" they are no doubt talking about.

6. PCG82

PCG82 Valued Member

I agree to some extent its peoples fault, the 'doctors should fix this for me' approach is not a great way forward in my opinion. However there is growing evidence that genetics plays a part in obesity.

If you're one of the unlucky ones with multiple 'obese genes' it can't be helpful :( .

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Question is though,if this is a rising problem,and at the risk of sounding stupid ,and more and more people becoming obese,and this "genetic issue" is to blame, what is making that more prevalent?
    I'm sure it hasn't always been this way.

Isn't it more likely to be a result of our lifestyles and richer/cheaper/more calorie laden food?

8. PCG82

PCG82 Valued Member

A lot of young girls with diabetes are keeping their high blood sugars to do exacly that, to lose weight.....gonna be a timebomb in the opthalmology departments in a few years.....

9. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

was just reading this artical.

Talk about nanny state - not the individuals fault?

I can understand if someone does have a problem, whether it be injury or illness, that makes it harder to lose weight, but the majority of people should take responsibility for themselves.

if it's not the individuals fault then who's is it?
    Who buys the food for them?
    Who cooks (or not if its a maccyDs) the food for them?
    Who makes them eat the food?
    who makes them eat more food?
    who buys more food for them?
    who forces them not to do exercise?
    who then forces them to eat more junk even though they have been forced by someone else (not the individual) not to do exercise?
    who then tells them to ignore what everyone tells them what is a good weight for their height/frame?
    who then tells them that what the Dr said was a load of rubbish and they should carry on eating the way they do?

10. PCG82

PCG82 Valued Member

Yes people are eating more, it s just in the past these people with 'suseptability' due to their genes would not being eating as much. A little too much with these people could lead to obesity much easier than the 'normal' person.

11. Cathain

Cathain Lily Lau Gar

God bless the nanny state.
    No-one is responsible for their actions anymore. People can't think for themselves. People can't restrain themselves. It's not their fault.

Are we humans or animals?
    Do we have no control over our impulses? No higher brain function?

12. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

But in that case surely it's their responsibility to not eat as much? (I'm playing devil's advocate now).
    I personally can't drink as much as other people without getting horribly drunk,so I drink less. I also know I put weight on quite quickly so I am more aware of this and don't eat as much bad stuff and exercise. I know that not everyone is as clued up, but the Government can only do so much in educating people.

13. axelb

rubbish!! all Rubbish -

gaaaa!

I mean I agree,

-whats happening? someone else made me do it!

14. PCG82

PCG82 Valued Member

Totally agree.

15. axelb

surely can't the goverment send someone round to each persons house who is clinically obese and force them to eat correctly, monitor them every moment, surely thats the only solutions as it's not the individuals fault?

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Good point Su. I live with someone that is obese. If you compare her diet to mine you would know that it is what people choose to eat that has a lot to do with their waistline. Medical conditions not withstanding, obesesity is the fault of the individual and there is not a damn thing any Government can do that is going to stop Sam or Sally Tubtub from wolfing down that Wendy's Triple Bacon Cheese burger.

17. axelb

all this talk of food is making me hungry!

18. PCG82

PCG82 Valued Member

Its a combination of their fault and plain bad luck (or bad parents if u blame them for the genes they pass on :rolleyes: ).

Or just spike their food with laxitives.... :D

19. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

It's almost lunch time, almost time for my triple whopper with cheese and 4 cream cakes :D

Yes,genes have a certain amount to do with it, but we all have a certain responsibility. Like I said, I am one of those people who can put weight on easily,whereas my bf can eat and eat and eat and stay the same weight.Yeah it can be annoying watching him shovel it down his gulliver but I just deal with it.I think people have this whole "Aww I need to treat myself cause I'm hard done by so I am going to eat cake and if anyone tries to deprive me of it I shall feel all sorry for myself" attitude!

20. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I couldn't resist! :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keRrCSrUXq8"]YouTube[/ame]