Not sure if Tai Chi or Kempo?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by TheDudeAbides, Jan 25, 2015.

1. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Valued Member

So I started a Kempo class 2 times a week and a private Tai Chi class with my wife once a week. We did the private Tai Chi for the first time on Saturday morning. We were practicing what we were taught this morning and got through several movements but hit a bump with what the instructor called the 8 magnetic points.

I can not seem to find a Tai Chi video with the same name. On the other hand there were several that had a similar name but were not the same. I am wondering if someone can direct me to a video.

Im not sure if it is Tai Chi or a Shaolin Kempo variant of a Tai Chi series of steps. The question is due to the fact that the Tai Chi instructor is also the SK instructor and it is all taught at the same place. Id call the dojo but, they aren't open on Sunday. Sundays, and most of early Mondays I believe are all private lessons.

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Never heard of the "8 magnetic points" - sounds like some kind of new-age name..

3. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What style of TCC do you practice?

I do Yang style, and have never heard of this either. Have never heard it mentioned before in any TCC discussion on the several forums I have been on either. This includes people discussing other styles of TCC.

4. TheDudeAbides

Hmmm, Im not sure if this helps describe it at all....Started out facing Northwest there was one step in each of the 8 directions from there. I think when we hit either East or Southeast the movement was called the Archer. You imitated the motion of pulling a bow keeping the drawing elbow straight with a rotation if the wrist on the leading hand. There was another movment that began with a Horse stance and if I remember it right you pushed out with your hands and at full extention rotated the wrists came back in a motion similar to splashing water on your face.

Since Ive started I try to spend 1-2 hours each day practicing. In the morning I tend to do more soft type stuff like stretching and footwork . In the evening I try for a bit more cardio and hand work. With it being Sunday I was going to try and spend a bigger block of time with it before back to work on Monday.

5. TheDudeAbides

As to style Im not sure. Its being taught at by my Shaolin Kempo instructor.

Sorry about the lack of a quote, Im still trying to figure out the quote function on this forum.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71MN9sX-tWs"]Ba Duan Jing (8 Section Brocade) - YouTube[/ame]

7. TheDudeAbides

That first bit is the same Archer bit, but the rest is different. Should I be looking for other steps in "8 section Brocade"? I imagine that it is not the same full set of motions due to it being a first lesson and that we were perhaps shown the first of each of these 8 sections?

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There's only one movement per section, but there are many different versions. Unfortunately if you're at a shaolin Kenpo school then there's no way for us to know what version you're doing or indeed if it's not a version they've modified.

9. TheDudeAbides

Gotcha. I did a quick search and maybe its just video and connection speed but this dude starts out the same. Its not the same all the way throguh, but I do seem to be on the right track now.

http://http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123309

I was not entirely sure but I figured that because its a SK school it was probably not traditional. I am guessing its probably a mix of several things but what Ive picked up from the 2 clips there I will probably be full between now and my next SK class.

10. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yeah, that move in our school is called "left and right Pull the bow to shoot the hawks" and is part of 8 Pieces of Brocade. Never heard any mention of 8 magnetic points with regards to it or anything with 8 pieces of brocade before though.

11. TheDudeAbides

More research leads me to believe that it is a mix of tai chi yoga and perhaps some of the blocks I haven't seen yet from kempo.