Ninjutsu Summary

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Banpen Fugyo, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

I spent the last 20 minutes or so writing this summary for some other thread and it got closed when I tried to reply :(

I dont care if the mods want to close this thread too, I suppose, but I didnt want all of my hard work (haha :rolleyes: ) to goto waste

----------------------------------------------------------------

The general consensus is that there are only a few authentic organizations that teach ninjutsu and ninjutsu related arts.

The biggest and most well known organizations are the Bujinkan, Genbukan, and Jinenkan (referred to as the x-kans). There a few other organizations that stemmed from these 3 including Toshindo, and there are also some ninjutsu related teachings in other ryu (Tenshin Shoden Katori Shinto Ryu).

The xkans are actually a group of different ryuha combined and taught under the name of their respective organizations. Usually when people say "ninjutsu" on a forum, they mean all of the teachings of the xkan, but really only a few ryu are truly ninjutsu, Togakure Ryu being one of them.

The ryuha in these organizations can vary greatly in technique and "feeling" (*gag*) but generally they can mesh well together. For instance, Takagi Yoshin Ryu is known for mostly being a jujutsu style, while Koto Ryu is known for mostly being a striking style and both of them are taught in the xkans in a similar fashion.

As far as compliant training is concerned, there ARE certain techniques within these schools that are dangerous if done at full speed and intensity but most can be adapted in a way that is safe for both partners. For example, there are a few different variations of a throw called Ganseki Nage. In one version, the opponent is thrown in a way where a breakfall can be performed and therefore be practiced at full speed and resistance. Although in other versions, the purpose of the throw can be to break the opponents leg and/or throw them directly onto their head... These obviously are more difficult to train safely.

Having said this, some schools regularly train with full resistance, while others do not. These differences seem to be more widely seen in the Bujinkan because of amount of freedom their soke gives them. The Genbukan and Jinenkan are quite strict in their teaching methods so variations between different schools arent as common.

So, in summary:

Some schools suck, some dont.

If you are looking for a quick and easy solution to basic self defense, "ninjutsu" probably isnt for you.

"Ninjutsu", in my opinion, is a very complex, very rewarding, and very very different style of martial art. It encompasses every aspect of martial arts from weapons training to philosophy to the abstract learning of natural science and in some cases religion. It is definitely not for everyone.

2. Gun De Niro

Gun De Niro Valued Member

nice avatar

where did you get it?

3. Banpen Fugyo

I think it was on the genbukan.org page about 6+ years ago

4. Gun De Niro

Are you a Genbukan member? If so did you obtain Senseis permission to use the above as an avatar?

5. Banpen Fugyo

Im not an active member anymore, no

And why would I need his permission to use that, anyways?

6. Gun De Niro

Carry on

7. Banpen Fugyo

:lowblow:

Attached Files:

8. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

I think that's a decent definition. Didn't we have another, less recent "what is ninjutsu?" type thread also at some point?

Prolly got locked or full of arguing.

Anyway, that's probably about as concisely and nicely as you could put it.

...And Gun doesn't mean any harm just (very) interested in upholding Soke's copyright on the logo. :) Your reply made me lol a little bit though!

9. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Just playing devils advocate here. He has a copyright on a picture of a ships wheel? I have seen this in use on other orgs.
    Ralph Severe uses it as well AFAIK

10. Ninjuries

It's origins are from the Buddhist symbol. :) From ninpo.org:

The logo of Genbukan is the eight-spoke Dharma Wheel (Jp., Horin, Sk., Chakra) or the Wheel of the Buddhist Law. While the wheel represents the Buddhist Law, the eight spikes are meant to defend the Law against its enemies. In the center is the lotus flower, a symbol of enlightenment, and in it is a mirror and the character nin. The mirror is a symbol of the Sun Goddess Amaterasu one of the most important deities of the Shinto pantheon, and the mythological originator of the Japanese imperial lineage.

Although the Buddhist Wheel is often associated with the Buddhist Law, it is originally a projectile weapon used by the Indians. Because of its use as a weapon it was taken later as a Buddhist symbol of defending the Buddhist Law.

And there is truth in Soke having a copyright on the symbol... But I don't think he'll be sending out the hit squad anytime soon for our avatars.

If I wake up dead with a shuriken in my bum though then I'm wrong. :confused:

11. Gun De Niro

Banpen Fugyo. I was talking just yesterday with the person who actually created that particular computer Genbukan symbol. He actually thought it amusing that you are feeding off the scraps from the Genbukan table. Carry on.

Ninjuries. I will see you on the next Taikai. Carry on.

The Genbukan symbol was / is the effects of Tanemura Sensei's prayers for his Ninpo organisation. Although based on the Dharma Wheel each part has hidden meaning, even down to the colours used. If you knew anything about Genbukan history you would know the serious problems Sensei had in the past with people stealing this symbol and copyrighting it for themselves or using it to promote themselves.

12. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Oh for God sake!

Whilst I can appreciate copyright issues etc and don't have a problem with that being highlighted however coming out with stuff like "feeding off the scraps from the Genbukan table" over an flippin forum avatar is just bizarre. An avatar that he's had for ages from the sounds of it.

Do you realise how much of a loon you sound when you come out with stuff like that?

Oh and the comment directed at Ninjuries lol nice passive agressive "threat". Not 100% sure if that was the intent but coupled with the rest of your post it sure comes across like it.

I think both you and Jamie should look at how the likes of Mr Kohler and Mr Hodges conduct themselves online and the respect they get for it.

You don't do yourselves or your organisation any favours by the attitude you're presenting.

Feel free to sling some overly superior comments my way, I'm sure it'll make you feel better. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  13. Gun De Niro

No need. Thankyou. I made my point.

Oh and by the way I have discussed this with Ninjuries on PM. I will see him on the next Taikai and I will discuss this with him personally as friendship. No need to imply anything like that Mr Winchester.

14. Banpen Fugyo

Yeahhhhhhhh you sound kinda crazy.

Im not using it in my upcoming book or movie. Its an avatar on a message board that Ive had since 2004. And in over 5,000 posts, nobody has ever even mentioned, let alone criticized it.

And what does "feeding off the scraps" supposed to mean? Im some kind of dog now?

Jesus Christ, no wonder I only visit here once every few months...

15. Gigeran

Gigeran Valued Member

I Like the description you posted, what I once heard or read : ninjutsu is not only a martial art, but also a way of life. The idea behind it got me really interested and made me join, not the techniques themselves tho they also are very interesting. The techniques mean moving offbeat to a possible opponent so to speak instead of trying to beat it by being quicker or stronger, and that means a long time of gaining insight for good effect indeed.

16. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

lol it was your post that had the implication Gun, I just highlighted the impression your tone gave.

If you are concerned about how you might be seen then maybe you should look at your posting style and what your overall tone and attitude often implies.

Because even if you might have made a good point it gets overshadowed when you post with such a condescending and somewhat cultish attitude such as seen in this thread.

17. J_Alexander

J_Alexander Valued Member

Whilst I cannot speak for Gun De Niro, I can for myself.

Martial arts are serious, never to be taken lightly. Even in small matters as using a professional organisation's logo for an avatar, you need to be aware of that. A certain level of etiquette is always called for - even on internet forums.

How my colleagues carry themselves is their concern, but I chose to say things as they are, from the truths that I have aquired. I love this martial art but it has been shamed and misunderstood for many years - so if it means to speak out to correct false beliefs, then I shall do so. Naturally, I shall be challenged but I will continue in this way.

Jamie.

18. Ninjuries

Will see you in Japan, and if you want to talk about it do let me know. :)

19. The Wiseman

The Wiseman Valued Member

Yeah... Ninjutsu gives me a headache...

20. Gigeran

Gigeran Valued Member

Tip get better at Ukemi ;)