Ninjutsu Questions

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by ninjabumon, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I was wondering if you could just give a basic overview of Ninjitsu (as much as possible), and maybe compare it to a few common martial arts. I've heard that it is 'quick and messy' and much of the hand-to-hand is verymuch like Kenpo, and much of the weapons fighting is verymuch like Escrima/Arnis, although I don't know how accurate that is. I've also heard that it's fairly well rounded and (at least in the schools I've heard about) they try to include some ground fighting, with BJJ type stuff.

Sweeet.

2. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Knowing very little about Kenpo and Escrima, I could not try to compare their techniques to the unarmed combat techniques of Ninjutsu. But, I can try and give an overall based on my background in the art, as say compared to TKD/TSD, judo, aikido. Before anyone takes offense, please understand, I have the highest regard for ALL martial arts. This one works for and I have my own views as to why that is and other arts don't. Also, if you feel I mis represent your art, don't flame me, eduacte me. I am only going by MY experiences with these other arts.
    Kicking- in Ninjutsu, most kicks start from and flow from a natural position, with the whole body behind it. Not a lot of chambering of the leg. If a target presents itself and the foot or knee is in place, then put it there. We train more for the knockdown effect of a kick than the grace or speed. We have a wide variety of kicks, front/side/back stomping, kicks that hook in to the back of the target, jabbing with the toes.
    Punching- wide variety of techniques. Again, emphasis is on getting the power into the punch. How the power is administered depends on the fist used ( shuto, shishi ken, ****o ken, fudo ken) but the power is developed through using the body as a whole.
    We practice grappling and joint manipulation similiar to ju-jutsu and aikido. I feel that a lot of aikido is based on our taijutsu. The biggest difference I learned was that in aikido, when taken your opponent down to the ground, you leave an opening for the. Empty space so to speak. In taijutsu, you would put a knee or foot or rock or wall in that space and let your opponent carry themselves in to it.
    The Ninja's taijutsu (body art) was designed to use the body in as natural way as possible, instead of conforming to a set form of movements, you would adapt the movements to how your body is shaped, your natural weaknesses and strengths. Taking the art and making it your's.
    And in a strange way, this art teaches you to do things with a loving heart. Beyond the physical, into the emotional and spiritual.
    Last thing ( I know, I have a tendency to ramble ). The Ninja's taijutsu is a combat art. Combat, not meant to be taken into the ring. The art works for me.

3. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

"quick and messy" is kind of wrong but not really.

The quick and messy part is the emphasis on reaching a satisfactory conclusion in as fast a time as possible using as little effort as possible.

Beyond all the techniques on how to fight I have found that the two most important things that you learn is the feeling of having your body move in these ways with power - no matter what you do having the experince of what punching feels like is far more important than the punching itself.
    The other is how to think about a conflict. Instead of looking at a situation and thinking I like my thrusting kicks so I will try to manipulate the environment so I thrust kick. I would look at a situation and when something happens use that to show me the easiest way to fiinsh it with minimal effort. Now my thrust kicks are good, this will impact on what I do - I don't want to try a technique that is hard for me to do and I might not be able to get to work, I will want to do whatever that will be the easiest thing for me to do in that situation.
    Also you get beyond the fact that I need to do something that I have been taught and it needs to be perfect. There is no-one grading your performance in these instances so use whatever you can.

I don't see much point to learning an art that is missing pieces(not tying to flame merely stating my views). We learn everything eventually, fight in all ranges, utilise all the bodies' movement and tools. Wherever you take me I've been there before and will be good at it.

Back to quick and messy - it will be quick unless there is no other option and messy only in that you won't be trying for a picture perfect technique, you will be doing whatever will work. Also it will be real messy for them because we concentrate on working quickly you go for an immobilization like a snapped knee or something.

4. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Very well put Darzeka. "reaching a satisfactory conclusion in as fast a time as possible using as little effort as possible". That rather sums it up quite nice.

5. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

After applying this to your techniques it gives you a better perspective on things.

You get an AH of appreciation then when you see the developement of the basics into the "really strange, dangerous, fun, arm breaky stuff" and why we spend 6 months making sure you know what you are doing.

6. Raizan

Raizan New Member

This may sound a bit biased on my part, but Ninjutsu is the best art that I have ever studied. It just "fit" with me, and I was able to let the techniques and principles flow... I figure that it has something to do with how practical the movements are. Perhaps the coolest aspect (in my opinion) is that after a while you learn how to use your Taijutsu skills to effectively neutralize the strengths of individuals practicing other martial arts. But...like I said, I guess I'm kind of biased here, but I WILL practice this art until the day I die...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2002
  7. Solane

Solane New Member

Lol

Nicely put I remember talking to a friend at work and complaining about the bruises to my ribbs, He said my instructor should be more carefull and maybe I should find a different dojo.

That was untill I pointed out that if my instructor hadn't shown such control the attack would have snapped a number of ribs and punctured my lung as that is what it was designed to do.

The bruises were due to him repeatedly hitting the same spot over a 2 hour period as he showed me a number of various attacks to the lower ribs. I was tired and a bit slow that day at picking the different techniques up, but he had a few bruises as well at the end of the day as I did eventually get them all right.

Solane

8. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Quite right. It doesn't take just one hit to cause those beautiful bruises. One of my training partners likes to complain that I hit the same spot over and over. Not just near it, but the same spot. We'll play with a technique, and in the course of a half hour, I will hit him 30 times in the same spot. Not hard enough to do the damage it could, but repeated striking causes it to look worse than it really is.

9. ichiro katsumor

ichiro katsumor New Member

does anyone here practice kiai?

10. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

To kiai or not to kiai

I don't "practice" it, but if it comes out naturally during the course events, then I let it. I find that a naturally occuring kiai is more effective than a forced or planned kiai.

11. ichiro katsumor

thank you that was very helpful .now if i could ask when i read hatsumi sensei's "ninjutsu history and tradition" he named four basic "shouts" he gave an example of the way they sounded but said it would be differant for people who speack other languages out of curiosity could you tell me how yours usually sound?

12. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

My overview on Ninjitsu in breif

It is an excellent art the only real critisim of it in the schools I trained were many of the techniques were slightly dated. There is for me too much emphasis based on defending of a straight liner Karate style punch.

Also little sparing involved, the techniques are excellent and the weaponry schools are superb. It is for me the basis of my training and I would never slate the style, it is good for self defence and I would say its locking techniques are realy strong and street orientated.

I do rate the style and I think there are just a few things that from my experience could be updated. An Irish man called Brian McCarthy is an excellent example of non traditional taijitsu as his has a large degree of kickboxing type techniques and focused more on the striking applications. Still the BBD style is far stronger on the locks etc.

It is in short a good style with many gold mine techniques, one you cant really do for a couple of years you must spend 5 years + to really get any solid grasp of the moves in the many schools.

SONSHU

13. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Hmm, Sonshu, I think you got cheated. In all my years, we never placed any emphasis on defending against any one style of attack (ie: linear Karate style punch). Afterall, the object of Taijutsu is freedom of movement, instead of constricting or limiting response.

AS for my kiai, on the occasions when it has come out, it has been anything from a barely audible "ooossss", to a blood curdling scream. Dependes on the situation. And my mood.

14. ichiro katsumor

okie dokie then

15. ichiro katsumor

oh kurohana how long have youbeen practicing?and do you have aim?if so whats your screen name if you dont mind my asking?

16. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Sorry, I don't use AIM or Messenger or any of that stuff. But, feel free to PM me or email. As for how long, since August 1982.

17. ichiro katsumor

wow your old.lol you were practicing before i was born. you can expect emails with questions, im sure youll be of much help.thank you

18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy New Member

Lol "Wow, your old" ha... not a wise thing to say to someone who you want to answer your questions :p

If you get any particularly usefull Q&As be sure to post them wont you?

19. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I don't mind. I've been called worse.

20. ichiro katsumor

well hmm let me put it in the terms that are better suited to my meaning:
    you must have great experience and wisdom on many subjects i do hope to train with you some day