Ninjutsu lessons and fees

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by StingKing, Apr 17, 2007.

1. StingKing

StingKing Valued Member

I talked to Dojo Cho for Genbukan in my city and I found out there is a bucket load of fees to pay. Membership fee, grading fee, lesson fee, insurance fee, Kyu / Dan / Dojo-Cho fees, rank certificate fee, rank test fee.

I understand it may varies from Dojo to Dojo, but does Bujinkan have such fee structure? Unless the Bujinkan don't list their fees on their web site (in my city anyway). I think it costs a lot if I choose to go with Genbukan.

What is it like in your city?

2. Big Will

Big Will Ninpô Ikkan

Hmm... what's the difference between grading fee and rank test fee? And kyu/dan fee and rank certificate fee? Aren't they the same?

3. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

All depends on what the instructor charges. But all them fees for membership, insurance, certificates and lessons are all sound. All dojos charge that. But a fee for being a grade and to test and a rank test?

4. Nick Mandilas

Nick Mandilas Resistance is an option..

Our bujinkan dojo has no grading fees and no set up fees or one off anual membership fees. Just a monthly payment.

5. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

ours has a one of membership and insurance fee yearly then just lessons fee's and payment for certs, no payments for grading just to get the cert.

6. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

My group (Bujinkan) has either a Pay As You Go or a Monthly Fee method of payment for regular training (student's choice) just like with a mobile phone.

We also have an annual fee where everyone throws £12.00 (i.e. £1.00 a month) into the pot (including me as the instructor). We then use this to buy new equipment, replace old equipment or whatever. It's just a way for everyone to contribute to the maintenance and improvement of the dojo.

There's no grade test fees, hidden extras or genetically modified ingredients. The only other costs are your own equipment (I can supply it if requested but do so at wholesale cost and not one penny more) and the fees for certificates etc from the Honbu in Japan which are nothing to do with me anyway. Hell, most of the time I even take my students out to dinner on our way back from seminars etc. :eek:

7. Nick Mandilas

I know this is slightly of tangent here, but a friend of mine recently visited a martial arts school in which there were NO fees!
    There was a giant jar on the table and people put in money according to what they felt they got out of the class. It was a trust basis...

8. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

thats a good idea, everyone chipping in, but can you take out the words in bold, you must have made a mistake there with your words, i have corrected it for you

Hell, most of the time me an my students go out to dinner on our way back from seminars etc.

either that or you want to get lynched!!! :D

9. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

No, it's right. We call in for dinner somewhere (usually KFC or McDonalds) and I pay. It's not always but when I can I do. Just my way of saying thanks.

10. Nick Mandilas

When are you coming to train in Australia...I could do with a good feed...er training session...LOL

11. Senban

Senban Banned Banned

:D

The day I see my students as "customers" is the day I quit training. I learn more from them than they do from me, that's for certain. Hell, I'm not even the instructor. I just happen to have been training longer than them.

12. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Hmm when I started I was paying $ 8cdn per class, $45 per grade and I think it was 125 a year for membership. So it was pretty good.
    Some don't have rent to deal with. we only had about 15 people and there wouldn't have been any profit from that

In my group I have a barn, only cost is the heat. So I charge $75 every threee months, no other fees Except when they buy a gi then it is 75.00 for that.

13. bujingodai

bujingodai Retired Supporter

Thats the exact way I look at it. I could charge 100 bucks a month and never would turn a profit. We do fundraisers if we need $$
    As for learning from them yes no kidding I have a kinesiology major in my class, a cop, and an outdoor survival instructor. Its awsome the cross seminars we do.