Nihon Goshin

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by 5AnimalFu, Dec 16, 2003.

1. 5AnimalFu

5AnimalFu New Member

Hi,
    Where I live now there is a Nihon Goshin Aikido school, so I stopped by and checked out. I was pretty impressed with the school itself and the instructor was great. I'm told it's a more Striking oriented, and I found a few resources on the web.

Can anyone fill in more info for me?
    Anything will be appreciated.

2. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

It is not a form of Aikido as such, but it has some of the same roots.

It seems very effective as a Martial Art.

3. 5AnimalFu

5AnimalFu New Member

hmm, interesting. They had indicated (which doesn't mean anything) that they used some of the base prinicible of Aikido and tried to stay true. Seems like a cool art, and the guy that runs the school teaches the Police, so I figure he probably knows a thing or two.

Thanks for the input.

4. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Seems to be a good style

Dunno really about Nihon Goshin Aikido but I saw a Video of it featuring Robert McEwen, Jr. and was impressed about the gun disarming techniques he showed.

Don't know yet if gun disarms will really stand up to reality because it becomes useful only if you are able to achieve proper Maai (distance between you and the opponent). But then again, any gun toting dude with an intent to shoot will never allow you to get close to him. He will already fire at you even at range.

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Re: Seems to be a good style

This is McEwen's art? Oh. Then sure, I'd say it's good. I watched two of McEwen's tapes and was impressed. Very believable movements. He's good. I wonder though if it's "aikido" per se. McEwen was so rough, with all those simulated broken bones and smashed noses, that I wonder if maybe he's more an aiki-jujitsu or tai-jutsu person than an aiki-do person. But it was close enough to the aikido I've seen and learned that I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I would definitely check out this school.

6. Jordan

Jordan Valued Member

AikiMac I agree, McEwen is not really much of and Aikido Man but he is an excellent Aiki-jiu-jitsu practitioner. And if you get his movie " Aikido Knife Self Defence" you will see on his dojo window aiki jiu jitsu, Kung fu and Jiu jitsu ar advertised along side Aikido