NHS England: TEDx Talk

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by aikiwolfie, May 12, 2014.

1. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Here's one for the English amongst us. Watch the video and share how much of this you see happening on the ground.

http://youtu.be/Cz5dl9fhj7o

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

This has been up here before as a previous thread....

Personally I am not sure what to say. I have been providing NHS services for various governments for the last 12 years as a private provider. That is until lately. I gave up my NHS contract in April (and a lot of cash) as I disapproved of the administrative nightmare that the NHS has become.

What I see is a move towards a homogenised service which will put people through a process and tell them at the end that they have been provided with quality medical care. Unfortunately it is more like we are being lined up like cattle at the abatoir and equally we are in for a surprise.

I am not sure that the NHS is being privatised any more than it was. Now what you are seeing is a new form of ''Big Brother'' with the marriage of Corporations and the State. I think that Marx had something very critical to say about this.

So from one private business man no longer involved in the NHS I would have to say that business involvment in the NHS just got 1 piece smaller. Does that fit with your speakers thesis?

LFD

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

What about the NHS of today vs the NHS pre-Tony Blair? And are you in a position to compare and contrast with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

As a patient regularly using NHS GP and hospital services I can't say I noticed any difference between my experiences in England 1993-1998 and 2001-date and Scotland 1998-2001.

5. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

There are reasons why the NHS is bound to fail. I remember my father was in Bupa but had to come out of it because it was made basically worthless for him to be in , by new labour.
    Recently on the BBC there was an article about how much the top executives at the NHS spent on expences, but that aside you do need value for money.
    One thing that nobody seems to notice is that the capitalists are creaming off the top, irrespective of who is in power. If you say this out loud people ither think you are some kind of conspiracy theorist, or it is just too difficult for them to think about.
    We have a debt based fractional reserve banking system, if we did not have that we would all be considerably better off.consider also the "Queen of England" is a public corporation, all her money belongs to the people of England, so why are we so poor?
    A start would be to go back to the Bradbury pound!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9nY-ckTXfY"]Budget Day 2014 and the Campaign to Reintroduce The Bradbury Pound - YouTube[/ame]

and more on the bradbury pound
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwI1Oj4LMQU"]Bring Back The Bradbury Pound - Exposing The Leveson Common Purpose - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I haven't met a single person who disagrees with that.

7. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yeah I've never heard anyone say that isn't a thing that happens. The only point of contention I've seen is whether people admit they'd do the same thing.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I have family involved with running multiple GP's, Friends who work for CCGs and I work in the NHS, whilst the wife works privately for the NHS -

The recent changes are essentially making it easier to sell of and privatize the NHS. Whilst previously private companies worked for the NHS, soon they will be the replacement for the NHS and recent changes to legislation will allow the government to remove free and equal access for all.

Healthcare quality has reduced and people are leaving the NHS and the UK in droves because of this. If the Tories stay in this coming election Ill be moving countries to one that doesn't marginalize the disabled, the sick and the needy.

9. embra

embra Valued Member

The UK NHS sucks - the admin in particular, and the Torries suck even more.

BUT, our social security and taxes costs are relatively low. In every other European country - with the possible exception of Norway, the costs - social security and taxes - that are paid - are much higher than in the UK.

Also the support to pay for European Health systems is starting to crumble in a lot of European countries e.g. Netherlands where I am now working.

I do not like any of this - but what can I do about any of it?

10. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Healthcare quality has reduced and people are leaving the NHS and the UK in droves because of this. If the Tories stay in this coming election Ill be moving countries to one that doesn't marginalize the disabled, the sick and the needy.[/QUOTE]

As I said "Irrespective of who is in power" it really doesn't matter whether it is the tories or labour, the system i.e fractional reserve banking creams off money for the very wealthy at the expence of everyone else, the only hops is to change this system. We are told that there is No money, which is a blatant lie, there is lots of money, more than enough for everyone, more than enough for everyone to have even better health care.
    ~Look at all the benefits that the Libyan people had under gadaffi, no wonder the west needed to topple him WE are consistently lied to, this we were told ,was a backward evil regime.but look what we have in the west!!
    Why the West wants the fall of Gaddafi? An analysis in defense of the Libyan rais

Analysis by Jean-Paul Pougala – Africans should think about the real reasons why western countries are waging war on Libya, writes Jean-Paul Pougala, in an analysis that traces the country’s role in shaping the African Union and the development of the continent.

It was Gaddafi’s Libya that offered all of Africa its first revolution in modern times – connecting the entire continent by telephone, television, radio broadcasting and several other technological applications such as telemedicine and distance teaching. And thanks to the WMAX radio bridge, a low cost connection was made available across the continent, including in rural areas.

It began in 1992, when 45 African nations established RASCOM (Regional African Satellite Communication Organization) so that Africa would have its own satellite and slash communication costs in the continent. This was a time when phone calls to and from Africa were the most expensive in the world because of the annual US$500 million fee pocketed by Europe for the use of its satellites like Intelsat for phone conversations, including those within the same country.

An African satellite only cost a onetime payment of US$400 million and the continent no longer had to pay a US$500 million annual lease. Which banker wouldn’t finance such a project? But the problem remained – how can slaves, seeking to free themselves from their master’s exploitation ask the master’s help to achieve that freedom? Not surprisingly, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the USA, Europe only made vague promises for 14 years. Gaddafi put an end to these futile pleas to the western ‘benefactors’ with their exorbitant interest rates. The Libyan guide put US$300 million on the table; the African Development Bank added US$50 million more and the West African Development Bank a further US$27 million – and that’s how Africa got its first communications satellite on 26 December 2007.

More at link.
    http://www.rightsmonitoring.org/2011...e-libyan-rais/

"This is My Will": "Continue the Resistance, Fight any Foreign Aggressor against Libya,..."
    Translated from Arabic by the BBC

"This is my will. I, Muammar bin Mohammad bin Abdussalam bin Humayd bin Abu Manyar bin Humayd bin Nayil al Fuhsi Qaddafi, do swear that there is no other God but Allah and that Mohammad is God's Prophet, peace be upon him. I pledge that I will die as Muslim.

Should I be killed, I would like to be buried, according to Muslim rituals, in the clothes I was wearing at the time of my death and my body unwashed, in the cemetery of Sirte, next to my family and relatives.

I would like that my family, especially women and children, be treated well after my death. The Libyan people should protect its identity, achievements, history and the honorable image of its ancestors and heroes. The Libyan people should not relinquish the sacrifices of the free and best people.

I call on my supporters to continue the resistance, and fight any foreign aggressor against Libya, today, tomorrow and always.

Let the free people of the world know that we could have bargained over and sold out our cause in return for a personal secure and stable life. We received many offers to this effect but we chose to be at the vanguard of the confrontation as a badge of duty and honor.

Even if we do not win immediately, we will give a lesson to future generations that choosing to protect the nation is an honor and selling it out is the greatest betrayal that history will remember forever despite the attempts of the others to tell you otherwise."

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...t=va&aid=27277

16 Things Libya Will Never See Again

There is no electricity bill in Libya; electricity is free for all its citizens.

There is no interest on loans, banks in Libya are state-owned and loans given to all its citizens at zero percent interest by law.

Having a home considered a human right in Libya.

All newlyweds in Libya receive $60,000 dinar (U.S.$50,000) by the government to buy their first apartment so to help start up the family.

Education and medical treatments are free in Libya. Before Gaddafi only 25 percent of Libyans were literate. Today, the figure is 83 percent.

Should Libyans want to take up farming career, they would receive farming land, a farming house, equipments, seeds and livestock to kickstart their farms are all for free.

If Libyans cannot find the education or medical facilities they need, the government funds them to go abroad, for it is not only paid for, but they get a U.S.$2,300/month for accommodation and car allowance.

If a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidizes 50 percent of the price.

The price of petrol in Libya is $0.14 per liter.

Libya has no external debt and its reserves amounting to $150 billion are now frozen globally.

If a Libyan is unable to get employment after graduation the state would pay the average salary of the profession, as if he or she is employed, until employment is found.

A portion of every Libyan oil sale is credited directly to the bank accounts of all Libyan citizens.

A mother who gives birth to a child receive U.S.$5,000.

40 loaves of bread in Libya costs $0.15.

25 percent of Libyans have a university degree.

Gaddafi carried out the world’s largest irrigation project, known as the Great Manmade River project, to make water readily available throughout the desert country.

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/10/16-th...ver-see-again/

11. holyheadjch

If this was true, we wouldn't have massive positive net immigration.

So you're going to top yourself and bet it all on heaven?

You see, this is the stuff that makes people think you are a crazy conspiracy theorist.

12. Dead_pool

holyheadjch I think your quoting me not jorvik -

A lot of Drs and other health professionals are moving overseas, we tend to import staff from outside the UK, because we cannot keep the ones we train, and we donot train enough.

No I will be possibly moving the new Zealand, pay and conditions in the medical sector are far better there.

13. holyheadjch

Fixed
    I misunderstood, I thought you meant people in general.

I'm not convinced that health workers are leaving the Uk because of the state of the NHS, but rather, other countries have major shortages and are therefore being forced to offer big incentives to trained professionals in those fields. Those workers (nurses in particular) are following the money and (a perceived) better quality of life.

But do you think the Uk should add tens of thousands to the salary of healthcare professionals to persuade them to stay here? That would be very expensive and I'm not convinced standards care would rise in line with the cost.

14. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

WEll better to be thought that, than be thought small minded, look at the facts......the term "Conspiracy theorist" doesn't apply here.........ans I might give a good argument why it doesn't apply to 9/11, 7/7 or the death of Dr.David Kelly....you are naive and believe that tony blair and cameron are the good guys

15. holyheadjch

...that literally made no sense to me. It's like you wrote it in Tagalog, fed it into google translate then mixed up the words.

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

They're all lizard people.

David Icke is right. We all know it, oh yeah. :eek:

Run for the hills I say.

Or in the words of Catherine Tate, "bovvered".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n3576u5c6M"]Tony Blair isn't bovvered!!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

17. Dead_pool

Its not actually the pay which drives us away, its the massive workload and badly organised ssystem, a great example of this is A&E Drs.

18. holyheadjch

But the problems get exacerbated when those professionals, whose training was part subsidised by the UK taxpayer, leave the country. Complaining about workload whilst planning to flee to greener grass on the other side makes you part of the problem.

19. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

Paying close attention to this thread as I was just in a seminar this morning on the topic of medical brain drain in Africa (the result of healthcare professionals in desperate nations leaving in droves for the better living conditions of the developed west).

Interesting to hear from Fusen that British medical staff are doing the same (though obviously not on such a large scale).

20. holyheadjch

We're part of the cause for that brain drain. The NHS hires a lot of its nursing staff from Africa because our nursing staff keep on buggering off to Australia.