*new* wing chun vs kickboxer

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by airweaver, Aug 5, 2010.

1. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP05PC3ReW0&feature=related"]YouTube- Wing Chun v kick boxer[/ame]

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i posted this one in the last thread (same video but from another YT account)

3. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

that was entertaining

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Chun fail.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hmm... he gets props for getting in there... but seems there was an inability to land clean shots. All rather slappy on his part. Granted its his first fight apparently. He's athletic enough but he seems to be bound to hold that ridiculous stance that just doesn't seem to work for him. The guy in the white trousers stepped off the line any number of times and caught him.

6. beknar

beknar Valued Member

i like the guy in the white pajamas. nice kicks!

i have to wonder what the rules were, though. i saw the guy in the white pjs fall down, and the other guy tried to hold his legs or something? no going to the ground, i guess.

very fast hands on the guy in the black shorts, but really has a problem connecting. guy in the white pjs doesn't seem to really be able to at the very least rock the guy back, but maybe that's the nature of the match.

7. Killa_Gorillas

Looked like thee might have been a time limit on the ground?

I thought the guy in white had quite weak kicks. He seemed a bit better with his hands but like you say didn't really rock his opponant. It wouldn't shock me if that guy was more used to point karate/kickboxing than anything else.

The chunner was pretty stereotypical.

But as was said before, props for getting in there regardless.

8. spidersfrommars

spidersfrommars Valued Member

At 1:15 the chun guy totally should have done that Genki Sudo spinning ankle lock thing, that would have been amazingly epic.

9. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

the black guy was clearly the better fighter and his techniques demonstrated the effectiveness of his art

those blocks were beautiful. well done.

the guy in white needed to step it up a little bit.

wing chun is awesome

10. slipthejab

err... you sure you're watching the same vid as the rest of us.

sure... if it was a blocking contest. :p

yes he did. he needs something on his punches.

you sure you're talking about the same wing chun as we are? lol

11. Killa_Gorillas

LMAO what fight were you watching?

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Both showed plenty of spirit; neither seemed to land many clean shots or do much damage. If I had to decide, I'd give it to the kickboxer, but I didn't think it was a landslide.

The Wing Chun guy didn't seem to know his own distance. His punches seemed to consistently come up a couple inches short.

13. Killa_Gorillas

Yeah I'd give the fight to the guy in white pants too.

I reckon the problem wasnt just with distancing as it was the predictable/one dimensional nature of the chunners strikes which allowed his opponant to see what was coming and take appropriate action. Chunner looked to have reach advantage too, which is even worse.

14. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i stand by my ever-present statement that chunners lose because they get obsessive about maintaining their structure. if a chunner learns that there is no actual need to have his arms in front of his centerline at all times and never move them from there, said chunner becomes 10x better at fighting.

15. Killa_Gorillas

It's one of the reasons. Like you said, keeping the hands up and the chin tucked is a start eh?

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I don't think that's a necessary first step. Neither Chuck Liddell nor Lyoto Machida fight with hands up and chin tucked. What they DO do, and this guy didn't do, is fight in a relaxed and fluid manner, with their hands in a position they find comfortable and effective, but without rigidly keeping any textbook-perfect pose.

One of the problems with a pose that rigid is it gives the opponent an easily-measurable sense of distance. If you fence with your blade always at 75% extension, your opponent can easily tell exactly how far you can and can't reach when you attack. You're basically holding a ruler out. If you continually vary where you hold the blade, varying from about 75% extension to sometimes nearly dropping it entirely, it messes with the other guy's sense of distance and makes it harder for them to tell when you're in striking distance and when you aren't.

Watch the guy on the right. His fluid structure and ever-changing guard messes with his opponent's sense of distance. That's exactly what the Wing Chun guy WASN'T doing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPenBwwuo0"]YouTube- Beijing 2008 - MEI - L64 - Nishida JPN v Inostroza CHI - 1 of 2[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  17. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

Hardly a landslide, was it?

Aside from bashing wing chun again, you could say it also shows the downside of training in points fighting, Mr white pyjamas looked like a 'light continuous' fighter.

Both looked like athletic, gutsy fighters.

18. slipthejab

This is by far the most sensible thread MAP has ever seen on Wing Chun. :p

19. Octavian_Caesar

Octavian_Caesar Valued Member

They really need to slow down. Go that fast against a decent fighter and they'll be asleep in 10 seconds.

20. Octavian_Caesar

Octavian_Caesar Valued Member

I think Tyson used to do that. Not sure if that was his strategy, however, or just my perception.

He would put his hands literally on his chin and tuck his arms right close to his body (this kind of stance is only decent for experienced fighters, so don't try it unless you can always see every punch coming or your opponent will punch your hand and the force will transfer directly into your chin as though there was nothing there at all). I think it gave the opponent the impression he wasn't as close as he really was. Helped him for his lack of reach. The opponent would throw a punch at Tyson and all of a sudden Tyson was inside their guard and they were going down.