New to MA and searching Styles

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by jewel_of_buddha, Jan 17, 2006.

1. jewel_of_buddha

jewel_of_buddha Valued Member

Ive already started a post about this topic under another section, but I guess it belongs here. Im new to martial arts and am researching styles. Right now Im researching Kung Fu and am going to see a school today that practices Choy Li Fut. I got some good advice telling me to visit other schools for myself so I can see whats out there.

Im also wondering is it common for people to start in one style, learn it and then learn a new style?

Heres the link to my other post on this topic. http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=744894#post744894

2. dianhsuhe

dianhsuhe Co-Founder: Glow-Do

yup

It is pretty common to start with a foundation art then cross-train once you have a good foundation... I recommend getting at least to 1st Degree black belt before doing this however-

If you are lucky you will find a well rounded system that has more material after black-belt than before... :D

Cheers!

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

4. jewel_of_buddha

Yeah it does, thanks for the link. I found a picture of the teacher there too, helps me know what to expect cause Im a little tiny bit nervous. :p

5. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Hi
    If you dont like kung fu, or are insecure if its what you want. You could list up what you would like to gain from MA.
    And if you want to compete as you advance. You can choose between
    Fullcontact
    Semicontact
    Pointfights
    grappling
    patterns
    breaking stuff..
    Maby theres something more, but Im sure someone else could tell you.
    EDIT: And by the way, everybody had their first time going to a gym. So nothing to be nervous about :)

6. jewel_of_buddha

To update, I ended up going and I loved it. I was just having the usual jitters that come with trying something for the first time. It was two days ago and my forearms and hamstrings are still acheing. It was only for about 30 mins, but who knew kicking/punching with force could be such a good workout. Thanks for all the info, I didnt realize there were so many ways to compete. Sounds like fun once I advance. I want to get my little girl into it as well, once shes old enough of course.

7. elnan

elnan Valued Member

Good of you to getting started, and not just sitting around thinking about it. As many do.
    Good luck with your Kung Fu :)

8. jewel_of_buddha

Thinking is good, because it is the seed that precede's action. But one thing Ive learned this past year, is that ideas will never bloom if you dont put in the proper effort to make them grow. Its kinda of like a chick in an egg, it has to put the effort into breaking its shell so that it can begin its life. Also like giving birth to a child, labor is neccasary for new begginings. In other words, I decided that talk is great as long as I get my ass up and get it started. In what ever I do, that was one of my new years resolutions.