New to Kempo.

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by tw0scoops, Mar 9, 2006.

1. tw0scoops

tw0scoops New Member

I'm actually new to Martial Arts period. 24 yrs old...hope I'm not too old to start. I'm going to start taking a Okinowan(spelling?) Kempo with a mix of Brazilian Ju-jitsu. Can any1 give me an thoughts on this combination? Can any1 give me some insight into what these systems involve(i know BJJ is mostly submissions and locks? And how practical it is in the "real" world?

I was looking into MT, but the closest gym I could find was a 45 min drive. Plus I keep hearing that MT can be bad for your shins and joints. I might like to try MT at some point, but maybe when I can find a closer gym.

I'm looking for a challenge and since graduating college, just cross-training and weight lifting has ben getting kinda slow. I need more of a physical challenge(I used to be a swimmer).

2. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Oh jeez, BJJ is probably one of the most practical in the real world (IMHO)...there are lots of great standup martial artists, that, once on the ground, don't know what to do...a mix of standup and ground fighting is great.

3. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

Welcome to the martial arts. Your never too old to start, 25 years old is still quite young. I’m sorry I can’t comment much on your selected styles as I know little about either of them. I will say, and I know that many people will disagree, that possibly two styles as a beginner may be too confusing. If you do train in both styles remember not to practice bjj in kempo or visa versa, or tell one teacher he is wrong because the other teacher says something else. Give them both time so that you understand what it is they are teaching, don’t think that something is useless because you can’t do it. This is often not the techniques fault, but rather the person’s lack of understanding of the technique.

4. tw0scoops

tw0scoops New Member

Hm, well ok. We'll see how it goes. I have a "trial" class on monday.

5. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I hope it goes well for you.

6. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

I started at 37, so I certainly hope 25 isn't too old :) I train in Kenpo, Kickboxing and a little JuiJitsu and my instructor encourages me to blend them, as that is how you develop a well rounded fighting style...the person you are fighting in the real world doesn't care if it's true JiuJitsu, Kenpo or whatever, and you should either, just win. I have found BJJ and Kenpo to be very complimentary in many ways, many techniques to get someone to the ground, then techniques to use ON the ground...

Enjoy your training.

7. tw0scoops

tw0scoops New Member

Coool Thanks! One question. I know it differs between teachers, but you don't start sparring right away do you? Just nervous since I never took any martial arts before or wrestled in school. Just kinda wondering how you "jump in the pool" Cuz I know in a lot of MA's you don't start sparing until you have some experience under your belt, or someone might get hurt. Right?

8. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

Kempo is usually taught using technique combinations against a specific attack. Depending on your school, you will make more or less contact while practicing the combos. As you advance you will up the level of speed and contact. At some point you will start to learn how to apply the elemetns you are learning in the combos in a free-style manner against unstructored attacks. You may also get into sparring.

BJJ is typcially not taught this way. You will look at the principles and specific transitions between positions. Smaller pieces than kempo combos. Typcially you will start free-styling with otehr studetns much earlier.

I think this is because it is less likely to get injured rolling than punching, with no experience.

9. tw0scoops

tw0scoops New Member

Yeah, I figured that about BJJ.

10. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Yeah, BJJ I did some live rolling my first night...it's harder to get "hurt" in BJJ (unless you are slow to tap) since it's more gentle, it's not punching and kicking, it's grappling. And that kind of thing you have to learn by doing from the beginning, not much you can just do in the air like other MA's.

I can't speak of Kempo, I train Kenpo, but we do any given technique in the air a few times and then do it hands on with partners, not "sparring" just trying the technique on a willing, cooperative partner.

For BJJ, I gotta tell you this, your body will go thru a conditioning stage...for the first month or two your rib cage and neck will hurt, you'll be getting bruises on your upper arms and other places just from the grabbing, pulling and pushing on your arms and neck and the rib cage from the pressure...just suck it up and deal with it, it'll go away once your body gets conditioned to it...just fair warning.

11. tw0scoops

tw0scoops New Member

LOL. And I was getting Muay Thai was bad for your body...I can't believe that would be much better:p

12. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Oh, JiuJitsu is like a visit to a chiropractor, you get handled brutally at time. It's fun and great exersize...but it hurts for a while.

13. Les

Les Valued Member

I'm sorry to disagree, but I don't think so.

While you're rolling around on the ground making guy #1 submit, his buddies are kicking you in the head, back, kidneys etc.

If he's alone, and he submits, what next? Do you let him get up to have another go at you? Maybe he'll get lucky next time, or pull a knife.

BJJ is good, but how long do you have to train before you learn to throw two or three guys at once?

Les

14. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

pfffft, OK Bruce Lee, when was the last time you actually threw two or three guys at once outside your classroom...ummm, never.

15. Doc C.

Doc C. Valued Member

When was the last time you saw two guys rolling around on the ground that weren't drunk?

16. Les

Les Valued Member

This is actually the point I was making. :bang:

If the attacker is not alone, how can you grapple/throw/pin down more than one of them.

I was making a valid point, to which I was hoping for sensible responses, rather than childish retorts which suggest that you have no answer to the question.

Les

17. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

How does whether they were drunk or not matter? Most bar-fights and crap like that I have ever seen wind up on the ground at some point. If you want to truly learn a good self-defense system, knowing your way around on the ground is essential...or at the very least very helpful.

18. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

Well, it does stand to reason any situation is assessed at that moment. Sure, if there are 4 guys waiting to kick your ass taking one to the ground likely isn't the best solution, but then, if four guys are waiting to kick your ass your best solution is to run like a bat out of hell...if you don't, the chances are very high you are gonna, if fact, get your ass kicked...unless one believes all those Jackie Chan movies.

19. Les

Les Valued Member

Suppose there are two attackers. is taking one of them to the ground a viable option?

Suppose you are in a situation where you can't "run like a bat out of hell"?

As I said originally, BJJ is great, I'm not disputing that, but I prefer to have ground fighting as a secondary rather than a primary defence. It seems logical to me to have the tools to defend myself while upright first, and have the groundfighting skills as a back-up.

Les

20. dbmasters

dbmasters Valued Member

That said, I have little disagreement...I would prefer to defend myself on my feet as well, but, unfortunately it's not always up to me where I defend myself...it's good to be prepared.

I always have a knee-jerk reaction when people start with the "well, if many people are attacking you..." type senarios, because, while they do happen, and while many of us do train for defending against multiple opponents to some degree, too many people think they have a chance against many people, and outside of Hollywood movies, it's not typically the case. A couple, perhaps, maybe even three...but unless it's a movie fight where only one is actually attacking at any given moment, I suggest running. if you can't, bend over the kiss your ass goodbye.