new TKD student

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by hunnysan, Apr 21, 2005.

1. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

Hey I found a dojang that i like and where my master is cool. I took tkd wit him awhile ago and got promoted to yellow..he wanted me to be an assistant instructor..but my schedule at work got too crazy..and i had to quit..but now i'm at a steadier work pace and once again i can get back into training...wish me luck..and i'd love some pointers..thanks

dj hunny :rolleyes:

2. Kwondo

Kwondo 3rd Dan WTF Taekwondo

Assistant instructor at Yellow belt? Thats not common. I guess you mean with people lower than yellow you would help out right?

Anyways,
    Now that you've found the right place for yourself. You need to buckle down and get yourself back into the groove. Take in everything you're taught and practice at home when you get the chance. And don't get ahead of yourself, IMO thast the worst thing you can do. Take things one step at a time and learn your appropriate things for your belt levels.

Thats it for now, anything else you'de like in more detail just ask anyone :)

Best of luck to you.

3. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

oh no..not at yellow belt..i guess i wrote that wrong..i meant he wanted me to train to one day be his assistant instructor..sorry for the confusion.and thanks for the advice..i will be taking it one step at a time...

4. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

No offence, but I dont see how at yellow belt you could display the ability to be a future instructor. He's probably just saying that to keep you training.

I could be wrong

5. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Was there any point in saying that wynnema?

hunnysan, Great work in coming back to TKD. Ill give you some pointers.

1. Stretch every second day for at least 20mins. Just do it while you watch tv or something. Use the stretches that your master shows you. It will be hard at first, but give it a few weeks and you will start to see progress.

I was the most unflexible person in the world, but I stretched every second day for around 30mins. I can now do stradle splits with my shoulders on the ground in front of me.

2. Practise what you learn in class for that week. For example. If you were working on the back kick, side kick and roundhouse kick in class on monday, then train at home for about an hour a day in thoes kicks, until your next class.

Always practise your basic kicks every day. Hold onto something and practise your kicks slowly in the air, this will help you develope technique.

Make sure you train each legs the same, in fact you might want to train your weaker leg a bit more than your stronger.

Here is a link for my Guide to kicking Thread

3. Try running (or another form of cardio) every other day. Build up slowly and it will help you in your TKD training.

4. Train hard

Hope these help.

6. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

Sorry me bad it was maybe a little harsh

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

See, we're all pretty nice around here!! Well most of us anyway!

8. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

was that a dig

9. calleo14

calleo14 Banned Banned

IM a yellow belt instructor

At my school I instruct and Im a yellow belt see I have the skill just not the correct amount of time, I spar with the black belts who are high ranks and hold my own sort of lol .

I teach the younger kids and people my age I mean If you have it you have it you know. I think this is because I try really hard and set goals that I reach and the instructor sees this and feels I will do a good job being well disciplined and all.

10. darje

darje New Member

I was gonna say that last night, but oddly enough I thought it'd be seen as rude. :rolleyes:

On my own experience, when I was a yellow belt I barely held up to spar with a green belt, nevermind a black one. At that level you lack the knowledge (unless you're starting over) of what you're gonna assist teaching, unless you're only gonna lead a group through warm up.

In any case, welcome back to TKD!

11. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

thanks for all the pointers guyz..especially knighcommander..i'll definitely take your advice..and pointers..on my practicing..

and maybe he said that to me..cuz i actually have some background in MA...I did kenpo..if that makes things a little more clearer..

dj hunny

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

OK... might as well count me in also. :Angel:

I found that a bit unusual also... so I join darje & wynnema. But don't dare attempt a dig at me :D ;) ... I'm just a bit cynical I guess--strike it up to experience and being a female in the martial arts

But anyways, good to see you're back in training. Most of us hold down full time jobs and still manage to train so I do hope you can try and work both into your schedule. Training in martial arts benefits all areas of your life outside the dojang including the workplace. You'll find that you'll manage stress far better if you can train during your week.

13. hunnysan

hunnysan Valued Member

yeah..i'm a girl too...so rock out..

dj hunny

14. wynnema

wynnema Valued Member

No offence, but if you can hold your own against a blackbelt sparring then either:

The blackbelts you spar are not very good
    You think because they dont break your jaw that you are doing ok
    You have some previous MA experience

Like I said dont take offence, its just that the way you perceive the sparring sessions probably doesnt take into the account that the BB's may be holding back.