New Taijin Class

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by belltoller, Oct 10, 2015.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thanks much for the uploads, Victory. I've a few questions but I'm running late...

"Buddah's Warrior Attendant" in the 18th Chen form; is that what's going on at 1:00 of my instructor's video? I'd think not as there is quite a difference, including lifting of the right knee - just curious if things are ranging that widely - I'ven't time to look through your post adequately as of yet.

But I'm guessing that what I'm doing is a hybrid of various styles, then?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It looks like Xue is confirming what I thought. the first one is Yang Style TCC, the second one is Chen Style TCC, and the third one is Bagua- an "internal style" - but not TCC at all.

So yeah, you are learning 2 styles of TCC and some Bagua.

Edit- I just checked my GM's website. We don't have a Yang 64 in our lineage.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  3. belltoller

Ja - thanks for the forensics from you two on this - it was really bugging me. Now I can rest in peace and focus on enjoying it, lol.

4. ned

ned Valued Member

I'm assuming this is because it is an introductory course , I.E to give a taste of different styles - it would be rather unusual to learn these at the same time.

Maybe the idea is to decide on one to concentrate on after an initial period.
    Going by the clip I would say that Chen is not his primary style . Not wanting to sound too harsh but I could see very little there to inspire any confidence as the structure and mechanics are so far removed from what I've learnt .
    You yourself 'toller ,can see the obvious difference in what he's doing and the movements of Chen zhenglei - his form doesnt fit the applications.
    Sorry if that's a downer :(

5. belltoller

[​IMG]

6. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

It doesn't fit any old frame,new frame,or "modern" Chen I've ever seen.Postures,mechanics,stepping,nothing.Possibly a hybrid of some sort?

7. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

While it would be very unusual to learn both Chen and yang forms at the same time it would not necessarily be that unusual for an experienced Tie chi guy to practice a number of different tie chi styles. If his expression of the movements in the form differ - this again is not necessarily a problem. There can be a lot of legitimate various on the theme of a movement within a form.

The fact that he is demonstrating several arts need not be a problem. One frequent approach is to first learn shing-i, then baug-wa, then tie chi. It is also common to practice another art along side the tie chi. So again, tie chi and baug-wa together need not necessarily set of any alarm bells.

What's more important is the underlying mechanics of the movements.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The

- long fist school that I came from, the teacher will teach you Taiji only after you have at least 2 years of long fist training.
    - Shuai Chiao school that I came from, the teacher will teach you Taiji only after you have Shuai Chiao foundation and also you are over 30 year old.

"Cross training" was never an issue from the schools I came from.

9. belltoller

Hey folks...

I'm going to need to recall the video I posted out of consideration.

Thanks for all your helpful replies and suggestions!

10. ned

ned Valued Member

And

Who said there was a problem with him demonstrating different arts ?

Not me , in fact I said op was being shown a broad taste of taiji as an introduction.

I said it would unusual for a novice like the op to learn more than one of these arts at the same time , that's all.

I only know Chen and was giving an honest opinion ( the doc also agreed with me ) , should he be in the position of making a choice .

Just wanted to be clear on that.

11. belltoller

All critiques welcome - the good, the bad and the ugly. I'd never have imagined such a wide variety of different styles and schools for this one art.

Amasing.

Had to pull the video as per policy when classes are held in local-govt facilities - need permission from this admin, from that admin, etc. headache...

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Is Clint Eastwood in the class? :p

Will this make the lesson diluted?

As "if" they desire to retain "style secrets" ?

13. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

These days many organisations / building owners get hinky about permission to photograph and or video events. Perverts were recording school children at school events and then circulating the images to other perverts on the internet. So then organisations started asking photographers to get signed permission from the parents of all children who attend the event and might happen to appear in the back of a legitimate shot taken by a parent of their own kid.

It's procedural correctness gone mad.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  14. 47MartialMan

Yes...Being in the MA for over 4 decades, I have seen a change of cultural approaches when filming

That said, should a adult teacher being filmed have a problem with it?

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

In principle no. In practice there could be a number of legitimate reasons why a teacher might not wish to be filmed and put on the internet.

16. 47MartialMan

Understand that. I am curious to know what reasons.

17. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I do not believe you will find in it a traditional Yang family lineage. It is, I believe in off shoots of Yang line Guang Ping Yang and simplified forms

18. belltoller

[​IMG]

I was thinking more in terms of a ...

[​IMG]

19. belltoller

Agreed. Though, I have to say, there were times when I wanted to post my two kids sparring in class when they were in boxing but I thought about that and ....mmm...nahhh.

One can't fault others for feeling that way as well.

Ja, all sorts of reasons. I've never belonged to a gym/school that was altogether comfortable with that. The reactions varied. The MMA gym we belonged to was the most severe in how it looked at that with fighter's under contract, seeking sponsorship, etc., it was understandable.

The now ubiquitous all seeing camera and its ability to transmit everything it sees to all the world in an instant - creating a lot of questions for a society who has yet to ever say "no" to the unfettered advancement of any technology it has been privy to having.

In this case; however, it wasn't the instructor requesting the video be taken down, AFAIK he's okay - its a policy of the municipality.

20. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

It's procedural correctness gone mad!