Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shaky, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Shaky

Shaky Valued Member

Hello, I am new to the forum. I discovered the forum when searching for stretching techniques/programs.

I am 24/UK, I have done various fighting styles growing up, sticking with kickboxing when I was 12/13 until starting uni. I started Muay Thai awhile ago but I work full time and I've recently gone back to uni to do an MSc part time and so I've not been to Thai since Christmas but have kept up weight training.

I'm looking to start back at Thai, but I have always struggled with flexibility, I've read and tried numerous things over the years and made some progress, but not the kind of progress I think I should have made. There are alot of contradictory articles out there to, which kind of makes it hard. Although everyone seems to agree T.Kurz knows his stuff.

That's my introduction, I will go lurk in the stretching forums and absorb some knowledge.

Cheers

2. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Welcome to MAP, Shaky :)

3. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hiya Shaky, Welcome to MAP. :)

4. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Heya,

Good luck with the stretching out, what'cha looking for? Hamstrings?

Flexibility is a slow process but you'll make it if you stretch for 15min per day (and keep to it).

5. Ninja Monkey

Ninja Monkey Valued Member

welcome to map hope u find a solution to all your problems :)

6. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Welcome to MAP shakey. Anyone who shares a nickname with Neil Young is a friend of mine.

DON'T anybody dare ask who Neil Young is.

7. progdan

progdan Valued Member

So many smart comments on the tip of my tongue just wanting to jump out, but I just can't bring myself to do it... haha

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Neil Young? Before my time:rolleyes:

9. Shaky

Shaky Valued Member

Hamstrings are the main focus, I am going to stretch morning and evening now, plus before and after training. Hopefully I will make some gains then :)

I'm afraid my name has nothing to do with Neil Young. I do make many stories up about how I came to have the nick name shaky, such as telling people I used to be a hard drugs addict and when I quit I shook a lot and so got that name, but I quickly tell them it isn't true, its just nice to see peoples reactions.

In reality, I was named this by my friends, they wouldn't tell me why they called me this, and it was really annoying, after awhile I exploded in a paranoid rant and they told me when you write my name into predictive texts, shaky comes up lol.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Hi Shaky, where you training mt?

11. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

12. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I would rather do anything than stretch my hamstrings. Worst. Feeling. Ever.

13. Shaky

Shaky Valued Member

I did train kick boxing in Wigan until I went to college/uni, picked MT up at Wigan Thai boxing after not doing kick boxing for about 4-5 years, but I only did it for around a year then started an MSc at Lancaster part time. I work full time and with the MSc didn’t have much time and so I had to either drop MT or the gym and I chose to drop MT then I could maintain fitness. Looking to get back into MT in the near future though, I’ll definitely be going back to Wigan Thai boxing as it’s a very good club.

I have read that thread, cheers though. That's a very good thread, I've not been a member long, but I can tell already that superfoot is a credit to the forum. His thread on stretching for high kicks is very good to.

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

No wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy. I live in Lancaster. Did my degree there :D You should come along and try some mma out if you get time and fancy it.

15. Shaky

Shaky Valued Member

I like watching MMA, preferred Pride FC, but since Dana White bought it and closed it... So i'm forced to watch UFC. I'm trying to get hold of some Dream videos as that looks promising.

I prefer stand up to ground tbh, but I do think NOGI BJJ looks like it would be pretty fun. The north seems to have loads of good MMA gyms now, where do you train?

I go to Lancaster uni, but I've never actually been into Lancaster. Lancaster uni is pretty cool though, I went Manchester first time around.. Lancaster is MUCH better!

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I train at Lancaster and Morecambe mma, which has just opened a little gym down near the quay. Go into the city centre if you can, it's really nice. Pretty small but it has lots of character.

I did it the other way round to you, did my BA in art at Lancaster then did my masters in museology at Manchester Uni :D

17. Shaky

Shaky Valued Member

I have some family in Morecambe, didn't think they had anything in terms of mma around there tbh! Morecambe is changing alot though so i'm not surprised they're getting more around there. I'll admit.. I had to look up museology lol, i'd never heard of it! However, I am now enlightened!

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

There are actually 2 mma clubs and an mt club. There's Sinclair mma in Morecambe ,opened recently.