New Judo Move

Discussion in 'Judo' started by inkpen, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

To me the strike is what we call "accidentally on purpose". The lapel grab is supposed to be a chop/strike that allows the fingers to hook the lapel. However, due to the rule set, striking is not allowed. Your son's opponent should not be using that technique because he doesn't have the control to use it safely under pressure.

So while I don't think he intended to hit your son, because the technique is executed basically a strike, there is a high risk of hitting. So I think his instructor should be reprimanded for allowing his student to use that technique and the student should be reprimanded for not having the control to pull it off safely. In all, I don't think it is deliberately malicious requiring long term punishment. I think a slap on the wrist is appropriate so long as your son is not seriously injured and this isn't indicative of a pattern of such activity. After all, safety of the competitors should be a top priority.

Okay, now what is important besides your beef with this organization is going to be the welfare of your kid. That is more important, right?

Should I save my "you sir are an idiot" speech? Basically, I didn't read through all the posts so I don't know how much blame you put on yourself and your son's instructor/coach? I hope you told your kid that it was your fault too. Part of competition is don't do it if you are NOT properly prepared. Did you and his instructor properly prepare your son for the possibility of getting hit? Or did you let him go into the competition thinking that could never happen? After all it is a martial art!!! Getting hit is bad, what about broken bones, disfigurement, and death? You got to know what you are getting into and teach that son to always protect himself, win or lose.

Okay, I'm not all trying to get in your face. If you take some blame and let your kid off the hook. Who knows, he might be thinking it is his fault he got hit. You got to let him know that you failed to properly prepare him. And it won't be the only time either in his life. All you can do is the best you can do and not try to be a idiot about it (okay that wasn't called for, I got into the moment).

Just take some responsibility and let him know that people like me think he is really tough for taking a hit and keeping his cool. He knows what it is like to get hit and probably it isn't as bad now. He isn't made of glass.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  2. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

But there does not have to be bloodletting. Just a fairer & more equitable division of the spoils. Power should not be concentrated in one faction. Not healthy. More democracy, accountability and transparency. Change in attitude and method of governance.

The Australian Sports Commission (ASC) who monitor, advise and fund 67 National Sporting Organizations, including judo, have it within their power to effect positive change BUT seem impotent or unwilling to act decisively.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Short of petitioning the JFA personally, i am not sure what we could do, further more, at least personally, i don't see why they would listen to a bloke who lives in Croatia and has never trained in judo about something that happened nearly a year ago.

4. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

There sort of by definition does if there are people in the sport who'd insight children to acts of overt violence against their competitors to settle a petty feud, or teach students maneuvers for competition that are highly dangerous if not practiced correctly, or lie on an official tribunal to protect someone who caused such actions to happen, by definition, reform would leave these people no place in official judo.

5. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

I do not take offense because you call a spade a spade.
    But respectfully I should not have to train my son to guard against a strike to his face which is against the rules in judo. Any more than he should have to prepare to counter a head butt or kick to his face.

However perhaps I must re-evaluate. My son has asked me, "dad what do I do if another kid punches me in the face?"
    With little conviction I have told him, "Do not retaliate, play by the rules, the officials will protect you next time."

6. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Guys could we possibly debate the handling of this matter by the judo authorities here in OZ?
    This is the main issue. Also how such governance is negatively impacting on the sport.

7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Well not everyone agrees that this instance was necessarily mishandled. Could you provide us with similar examples of other mishandling?

8. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Please look at my post on page 11- the one with YouTube clip

9. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Guys thank you for your comments. I want your support in my battle. I need reinforcements.

We can promote positive change for the long term good of judo.

But then again you folk in other countries probably prefer that Aussie judo retain its current status of being regarded as a bit of a joke internationally (just kidding!)

Must go & catch & skin a wallaby for dinner.

10. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Please forgive my lack of gratitude, but I do feel a little uncomfortable when such lavish praise is heaped upon me so!

11. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I don't know your son (obviously) but I know other 7-year old kids.
    How sure can you be, that this "mean look" was actually mean as in "hostile", and not mean as in "concentrated and maybe a bit panicky", because the kid thought he might lose the fight?
    (Therefore: Not hitting deliberately, but by accident because he got nervous and miscalculated his grip and hit the face).

You crusade against the federation...
    Personally I think you're overdoing it over that kind of incident. Especially, because not everyone agrees with you, respectively can see why they decided how they decided.

In such a federation politics are just as part of the game as in others, so I'm pretty sure you can find people bad for the sport in every sports federation, no matter what sport.

Judo is supposed to have some principles and in most schools they're actually part of what the kids are taught, but mostly in a subtle way (my experience anyway; so far at least I haven't seen an instructor standing in front of the crowd going over them. I'm sure that's done somewhere though).
    But after all, Judo is a highly competitive contact sport, where kids get mostly taught how to fight (judo-like, not aggressively on the street-like).
    Values (and the judo-principles are pretty much that) should be part of what parents teach their kids at home as well and not expecting too much of that from a sports coach (I'm not saying anyone here does that, mind you. I'm just getting a bit annoyed every time I hear that a person is/ should be better off morale-wise only because (s)he does a martial art).

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Now that always goes to plan

14. Moi

Because it's possibly accidental, old news and injuries in competition martial arts, particularly judo, can come thick and fast

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It would probably make him think twice, but only because he'd reserve all that anger for his father in those circumstances.

16. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Big difference between injuries in the course of competition and injuries caused by illegal techniques that are banned from the sport for their danger, though.

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Maybe I am getting the wrong message here. Things started out about your son and now the focus is on fixing judo in Oz. No problem.

What confuses me is instances where you speak of your son switching clubs back and forth and then being hurt because of his actions. Can you clarify what this is all about? Was your son training at one club but fighting for another? You suggest he was hurt because of this. Do you mean the ''new move'' (I said before it's a stretch to see this as a strike - oddly it is seen as one by the strikers here and not the grapplers) or did something else happen since you feel a need to defend when someone attacks your family?

So is this about the ''new move'', your son playing two clubs against each other (and that would only done with the knowledge/intention of his parent) or the bad state of governance of judo in Oz directly? I really find what you are doing/saying a bit convoluted and it's not clear what is actually behind your actions.

I will also say this again since it was ignored previously. There is nothing to show that the new move itself caused a concussion. It may have been a factor (often the second hit is the one that causes symptoms and not the first) but it did not look substantial enough in my lmited experience ( I was a pitch side physio for a Rugby Union club for 5 years) and I have done a number of contact sports including wrestling, judo, rugby etc so I am familiar with both the mechanisms of injury and the sports themselves.
    I assume that the neurologist or A & E team that saw your son were less specific about the exact nature of the injury because frankly it has no impact on the treatment.

Just trying to get things a bit clearer here.

LFD

18. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Another thought just popped my mind: I can see why you'd might want something happening, when someone (not only your son) gets hit deliberately.
    Even though that's - in my opinion anyway - more the problem of the beating person, or maybe his/ her club, then of the federation.
    But again: I can see why someone might want a reaction from them; not on scale you make it out to be, but okay.

But what sort of reaction do you want from them, if someone gets hit by accident?
    Nothing else they could say aside from: "Thing's happen.", because quite frankly - things like that can happen in action.

One of my teachers once contused (or something similar; hurt for a few weeks, nothing major) one or two of my ribs, because he fell on me.
    Sure, not the same as a hit to the head, I'm aware of that; my point is more: In the heat of battle (or during warm up, as in my case :D ) stuff goes unintentionally wrong.
    And there's hardly anything I'd personally expect a federation to do something about an accident like that (now I'm talking about a unintentionally hit to the head).

19. Moi

Yet they still hurt the same. It's still not apparent whether this technique was illegal or accidental and considering the age of the possible offender and how long ago it was I don't really care

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Really?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.