New Judo Move

Discussion in 'Judo' started by inkpen, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

:confused:

Aren't arm locks in Judo? Hasn't Ronda Roussey said her armbars were from her Judo training? Taught to her by her Mom as a child?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Kids don't get taught submissions - well, they do, but they aren't allowed in competition.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

But there is this 11 year old kid in Darwin who'd probably guillotine the hell out of this 8 year old if given the opportunity, regardless of rules, and when he is out cold, he'd throw him to the ground so hard his head would bounce off the tatami.

4. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  5. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

Your inference also makes me smile. How profound.

6. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

WOW its hard to tell what that was. My base emotional reaction is that it was a strike, which is a no no for a judo comp. Have you spoken to the coach of the other player and asked his opinion on what happend? Is his other players doing it consistently? If so then appeal the judges ruling if not then maybe it was a accident.

7. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Easy its called discipline. Sever and harsh and lasting discipline that will hurt him. Not physical discipline but some thing so harsh and so painful he will regret his actions and think twice about it.

If it was my kid, I would start with a 3 month punishment. No tv,friends,videogames or fun. I would make him write a letter of apology to the kid he attacked. I would consider taking him out of judo, or consult his coach and ask him to shark tank him or some other similar in gym punishment.

Failing that no more judo for that year, and further punishments get far far worse.

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Man, given how it seems for your crusade to bear fruit you basically need to run the oldest and biggest judo club out of town, you really should look into the BJJ dojos in town, it would probably keep your son far away from people who would hit him, and even further away from people in authority who would turn a blind eye, also, i think you are really overreacting about the usage of chokes and joint locks, i've been put in all manor of holds and they aren't really that bad, you tap out, and start again.

9. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Just last week I elbowed someone clean across the jaw half knocking them out. All I was trying to do was base out as I transitioned to side control. Grappling is by it's very nature somewhat chaotic and stuff just happens.

10. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Moi why are you repeatedly ignoring the fact that this kid punched his kid hard enough to give him a concussion? Seriously man, thats pretty serious and not something that should be taken lightly.

12. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

I have no desire to run the largest club out of town-my son trained there for 21/2 years. What I object to is the unfair treatment by this club, seemingly because my son had the audacity to switch clubs, not once, not twice but on 3 occasions at 3 different comps.
    If a dominant party repeatedly hurts my family I will defend them with vigour. I do not forever turn the other cheek. Label me what you wish.

I want more equality and fairness.
    This main club who wield majority power in JFA(NT) have a huge and well equipped stadium which they will not share with PCYC who train in cramped conditions. This is but a minor petty issue but is indicative of how they treat this the smaller club. I know no party in conflict is totally right or totally wrong. But I am certain which of these 2 clubs is by far more in the right, and my son is training at this club now. I also know which club has far the most success, despite their handicaps.

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I never said it was your desire, i just extrapolated what would be necessary given the stalemate you find yourself in with the judo association which you accuse is built on a foundation of jealousy and nepotism, i can't see change occurring without revolution.

As for labeling you, about the only label i'd insist upon is naive about BJJ.

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

IDK im against adding more crap to sports it will only serve to ruin it. Judo is already systematically removing techniques already in the name of safety and this stupid notion to keep it exciting.(as if a primarily standing grappling competition is boring?)

Keep adding rules to judo and it will just get further watered down.

Have you talked to his coachs or the offending kid? Seams like that should have happened first.

Part of me wants to join the crusade against the striker but thinking on it, its been so long it would only bring back a memory he has long since forgotten.

Looking back, though if you push to hard on this you could ruin your sons feelings on the sport. If your so concerned about being struck during newaza get him into a mma gym once or twice a week, tell them to work GnP defense and counters.

Dont try to force more onerous rules on judo, teach your son to deal with and counter it..

15. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

I did research into the martial arts before I enrolled my (then) 4 yo son in one. I chose judo because of the emphasis judo places on integrity, fair play etc. It is a great discipline for a kid, even if they do not compete. It is a moral code for living. It is a philosophy.

Now as regards BJJ please correct me but does it not include most of the throwing techniques found in judo with arm locks, choke holds and striking being taught to juniors?
    So if most of the judo throws are in BJJ how is it less violent/of the 2 the sport where he would be less likely to be injured?
    Also in my preference for judo for my son I do heed the opinion of his judo coach. Saying this I do realize all coaches are partisan to their own discipline.

What's wrong with revolution! It frequently effects positive change.

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

A moral code you have not found in the establishment supposed to enforce that philosophy, therein lies a betrayal of those ideals.

Also, the main reason BJJ is less violent than judo is because it allows more techniques for bringing people to the ground, the chance of being slammed is rather reduced, further more, there is no striking in BJJ, and all joint locks and chokes are only held until the opponent submits, they are not cranked mercilessly until someone passes out or tears a ligament, unless your son is unusually stubborn or proud, he is at little to no risk of serious injury.

In all honest, i like and respect judo as a sport, but i feel that while you cannot find the ideals you were seeking being represented by the powers that be, you may as well look to find an alternative, that will hopefully treat your son with more respect and consideration, you owe it to him to at least check it out and see if you find people of a more even temper with less egotism and retaliatory behavior.

As for revolution being a positive thing, at times that can be true, but what is more often true is that a revolution is rarely bloodless.

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Late to the party and only a beginner in Judo myself, but I thought I'd add my two pence as well anyway.

To me it doesn't necessarily look like an intended punch, but as if the kid on top is trying to get rid of the grip on his sleeve and then wants to go for the cross collar grip.
    Among other reasons I think that, because:
    a) I notice as a beginner (and those kids were only yellow belts, which still is the beginning; plus being kids and therefore less well coordinated then adults) you tend to rip free more furious then when you're a experienced competitor.
    And a competition is stressful and you get nervous and all.

and b) because the top kids thumb goes instantly into the collar when he gets there.
    You'd need a rather cold-blooded kid to get there that fast and precise and I think for a 10-year old that would be something, he'd actually had to drill, to make it that fast and near-perfect.

Another point, even though it might seem minor:
    You want the boy to apologize. That's fair.
    But according to what you have said earlier, the boy did try exactly that and your son refused to accept it.

And the only thing you saw in that was that he was hitting your son deliberately.
    You wouldn't even consider that he might just felt bad, because he hit your son by accident; in what case you usually still apologize, even though you didn't mean to hurt someone - you still feel bad about it.

On a side note: Chances are, I'd value the opinion of some experienced competitor higher then the opinion of a ninth Dan, who might have hardly any experience in competition (thought most should have some experience ^^).
    Especially if it's about something competition related.
    In the end a high Dan doesn't necessarily mean, that the person is better then a lower Dan or even Kyu.

18. inkpen

inkpen Valued Member

I don't want more rules for judo. I WANT THE EXISTING RULES ENFORCED. On 2 grounds this was a foul-1. contact with the face 2.action was against the spirit of judo.

Please believe me I tried to resolve this amicably-I did not want to go the formal route ie thru the Complaint Procedure Process. I was ignored and stonewalled.

I submitted this footage to the JFA(NT) President and member of the judo elite ruling family the day following the incident. I fully expected he would reply with , "sorry mate the officials missed that....relay our apologies to your son."
    Instead of which he referred it to a Referees Commission whose 3 members were all from the same club as this offending kid. Their find was "incidental contact...." I consider the finding is incorrect & suspect because of the conflict of interests. My observations to this end were met with hostility & a polite request for a re-examination was denied. A simple verbal apology early in the piece would have sufficed to resolve.

My strong objections (crusade to some) now are against the manner in which Judo Federation Australia have handled this matter. They have refused to resolve in a timely manner, have tried to silence me, and have succeeded in avoiding scrutiny by attempting to drag the investigation of my Complaints into the legal sphere at my expense. Many folk say give up you will never win. I refuse to bow to these tactics.
    It is ironic that early in the matter, about 4 weeks after the incident, one of the "ruling judo elite" here in NT accused me of trying to destroy judo! For 9 months I tried to achieve a fair & just resolution within the sport. I acted with restraint so as not to damage the sport. All to no avail. It is truly sad.

19. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It is, but you've done about as much as you can, for this reason i'd seriously consider checking out that BJJ school.

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ink pen, are you going to get your son some proper striking training so that he can better deal with strikes while grappling. That is the only course available now, and you should have already done that.

Yes the rules need to be enforced, however your son has a obligation to defend him self, which means you need to either teach him proper striking and defense or get him to a mma school and ask them to put some focus on gnp defense..

You need to improve his training as well as try to get the rules enforced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.