New Bulgyo Musul Instructor/School Opening

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by MadMonk108, Aug 11, 2007.

1. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but it kinda sorta fits in the KS forum, at least better than any others.

During the Precepts Ceremonies for Buddha's Birthday, my teacher presented me with my Instructor's License in Cheolryun Gwonbeop, Iron Wheel Fist, a Seon-style of Korean chuanfa/kempo.

I had no clue my teacher was going to do this, he literally called me out in the middle of the ceremony. There are no belt ranks, just training, so it was basically the shock of your teacher coming up to you and saying, BTW, you're a 4th dan.

He wants to get a gwonbeop school started here at the temple, and I feel really honored. I hadn't even realized it, but he put my name out in the local Korean papers as the temple's instructorin the add for the Precepts Ceremony in the paper. So yeah...I guess this is just the beginning...

We've been open for private lessons for the past 8 months, I think, and are hoping to be open to the public by the end of September, with the actual grand opening by next Buddha's Birthday. I got a new day job that lets me off at 330, so now I can actually start teaching in the evenings.

Pictures!

[​IMG]
    Damn, I'm ugly.

[​IMG]
    Chanting the Heart Sutra. That's one of the younger brothers to my left, and you can vaguely see a ninja in the back left.

[​IMG]

Bullshido staff Stick & Plasma reading the Ten Thousand Hands Sutra.

[​IMG]

My teacher, the precept takers, and myself. I have no idea why I'm not smiling or looking at the camera. Maybe I saw a ninja that needed killing.

[​IMG]

I'm telling you, that cake was sooooooo good.

Stick looks like he stepped in something.

2. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Congrats again ;-) Thats exciting news about you bing the temples instructor :D

--josh

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Amazing! That's fantastic news MadMonk!

Nice work there!

4. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Awesome! I tried looking up the style but my internet skills failed me. If ever i'm stateside i'll be sure to check it out.

5. ember

ember Valued Member

Congratulations!

6. MadMonk108

You likely won't find specifics on Iron Wheel, but you can probably find some articles on bulgyo musul or gwonbeop in general. The invitation to come to the temple is open any time you want.

7. MadMonk108

Thanks, Josh. As soon as I get a chance, I wanna put our version of Baekpalgwon on video. I'll post it here. The stylistic differences between KS and us are interesting. It could be a fruitful discussion.

Thanks! :love:

8. CJ

CJ Killer of all the B.S.

way to go

9. Out-to-Lunch

That would be great! Kuk Sool's baek If you get time, maybe you could give us some background and technical information on Iron Wheel gwon beop? I think that would make for good discussion, as none of us really have much info on it ;-)

take care,
    --josh

10. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

hey man congratulations, sounds like a great prospect for the future~ im currently living in Seoul, where abouts is the temple?

11. MadMonk108

Heh.

In the US.

12. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

My heartfelt congratulations - nice to see people get recognized for something they obviously put a lot of work and passion into. And it sounds like a really cool system, I'd love to know more about it so I hope you'll put up some links to any info or beter yet, I'd love to visit sometime.

Where are you located (you can PM me if you'd like)?

13. MadMonk108

Sure, Josh.

Iron Wheel Fist is a modern amalgamation of existing Chinese chuanfa, Okinawan kempo, and Korean Gwonbeop techniques, centering around the practice of Korean Seon Buddhism, specifically the idea of 拳禪一如/권선일여/Gwon Seon Il Yeo/Fist & Zen as One. The system takes its name from a Gongan (Koan) that is particular to only our lineage. Just as a gongan is an instantaneous encounter between teacher and student, with a clear answer, so Iron Wheel seeks to bring out in its students a clear, honest self-expression in the encounter of combat.

Thus, the majority of training is done in pairs, from simple striking and footwork drills, to more complicated techniques such as joint locking and throwing. Sparring is a central practice, as the spontaneous expression of the student that is sought after. This includes both limited rules engagements in order to drill certain techniques, tactics, or strategies, as well as full contact free sparring at higher levels.

There are no ranks in Iron Wheel, and sparring is done as an exercise to develop skill and expression, and as a test of spirit, not as competition.

Techniques are divided among Taebeop, Tabeop, Tubeop, and Nabeop; Kicking Methods, Striking Methods, Throwing Methods, and Locking Methods respectively. All physical training is done side by side with jwaseon (sitting meditation) and gongan practice. Gongan are often tossed at a student in the middle of drilling physical technique in order to bring about a spontaneous answer devoid of intellectualization.

14. Out-to-Lunch

Most interesting! Thanks for sharing ;-)

--josh

15. MadMonk108

No problem!

16. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

ah lol i see, i kinda misinterpreted it cos i read that it was in the Korean newspapers so i just presumed you meant here :p didnt know you had korean newspapers in the states~ well good luck with it!

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice description - sounds really cool