New Book?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by KSW_123, Nov 24, 2005.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Does anyone read Korean???
    I ran across this book while surfing the Korean KSW web site.

kuksoolbook

I wonder if there will be an english version. :confused:

Anyone know anything about this book?

2. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

i think this is kuk sa nims biography. but i don't know if or when it will be transleted into english.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

slightly different topic but...

I saw a new KSW book (has a picture of man with long hair on the cover) advertised in the latest Black Belt Magazine... anyone seen it or read it. It sounded pretty good.

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Didn't see a Kuk Sool book. Do you mean the Hwarangdo one???

5. Thomas

Uh-oh... I better go look again It was a full page ad, I think. (Shoot, I was realy hoping to get in on a KSW converstion). :eek:

6. IBelieved

IBelieved Valued Member

y'know, you don't need a book to be a conversation starter. there's lots of material online. :D besides, all of the ksw books (including the old red book, with korean text) assume knowledge that non-ksw (or related, like hapkido) people may not have... there's only so much that a series of static pictures can convey!

occasional flame wars aside :woo:, we're a friendly group :) if there's anything you want to know, just ask. and as for the books, these are the ones that i have:

kuk sool by dr. he-young kimm
    kuk sool won, textbook volume 1 by grandmaster in hyuk suh
    kuk sool won, textbook volume 2 by grandmaster in hyuk suh
    the fighting weapons of korean martial arts by in hyuk suh and jane hallander
    pressure point and joint locking self defence by in hyuk suh
    defense against a knife or club by in hyuk suh
    breaking techniques by in hyuk suh
    sword techniques by in hyuk suh
    staff techniques by in hyuk suh

used to have textbook volume 3 but it was part of "the big giveaway" when i left the won.... shoulda kept that book, in retrospect!

7. Thomas

Thanks!

8. JSun

JSun Valued Member

They just reprint the 3rd textbook if you wanted to pick up a replacement copy.

9. AirNick

AirNick Valued Member

Yeah, I got mine last week and it has quite a few updated pics. Haven't gone through it all yet though.

10. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i've just gone mine too but i haven't had a good look at it yet. i have to wait till after xmas, boo hoo.

:D

11. KSW_Martley

KSW_Martley Valued Member

How come you can't buy vol. 3 until after black belt? Is it because they don't want the deadly 1st dahn techniques being shown to under black belts? :D

Yeah mate, I bought the last vol. 2 left at the merchandise table at the tournament :woo:

12. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Anyone heard anything about an english translation of Kuk Sa Nim's biography? I saw where they had translated a few pages in the 2008 program.

13. ksnsimon

ksnsimon Valued Member

i own kuk sa nims auto/biography it has some realy good pictures i cant read korean but have the captions to the pictures translated .
    well worth a purchase

14. Silentmonk

Silentmonk The Blue Donkster!!

Um because they are meant to be reference books not teaching books so if you haven't reached that oart of the syllabus there is nothing to reference perhaps. Also it stops someone getting to any level leaving the association and then teaching themselves from the books. if you want to stay in the association you don't need the book until you reach that level if you want to leave why should you have the book anyway? :)