New Beginners FAQ

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by aikiwolfie, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Boualem Bouderb

Boualem Bouderb New Member

Hi there everyone,

This might sound like a silly question. But what would you consider to be a more effective style one that adopts the hands or one that adopts the feet.

I have been sparring a lot and I have been used to mainly using my footwork as opposed to my fists and from many other fighters tell me that is you are good with your fists then the legs will also be outdone.

The only problem I have is do I give up on the legs or move towards hands and close bouts or is it wiser to use distance and finishing kicks for sparring??

regards
    Boualem Bouderba

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You need to work both I am afraid.

In kicking range you need to be able to kick, likewise in punching range you need to be able to punch. Obviously you then have trapping hands for once the boxing range is bridged, followed by standing grappling then groundwork.

Any lack in the above will be a weakness in your arsenal.

of course your style may not cover all of the above, but you do need both kicking and punching ability at the very least.

3. npp1

npp1 New Member

In a legit school, how long should it take to get a black belt if you practice 3 times a week?

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Depends on the style. In some the answer could be 3 years, in others it could be closer to 10. In short, standards for black belt vary too much for a simple answer.

5. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Depends on how much time is spent training. Is 3 times a week a 1 hour session which actually translates into 45 minutes of actual training or is it 3x2 hour sessions?

It took me 3 years to get to black belt in Ki Aikido.

6. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I'm considering doing a FAQ on the basic equipment people will need to purchase when taking up a particular style. So feel free to add your contributions here and I'll collate it all into a nice neat and tidy FAQ. :)

I guess I should start this off :D

For your first night training with an Aikido class you will need sweatpants and a sweatshirt or t shirt. Short toe and finger nails.

If you decide to continue standard kit includes a Judo style gi, a hakama, a jo, bokken and wooden tanto. The hakama is normally black and the gi is normally white. However some clubs do vary and others don't care. The hakama is also normally only worn by women at kyu grade level. Men earn their hakama with their black belts. But again clubs will vary.

Many clubs also operate a coloured belt system for kyu grades. Each time you pass a grading you will need to buy a new belt of the designated colour.

7. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

I'd also note that there are Aikido specific Gi's, Thinner material and 3/4 length sleeves which are, frankly, just cooler :cool:

Oh, and a pair of flip flops/sandals when you're walking to and from the mat

8. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

The one from Nine Circles? Had those at the last club i trained with. They suck. As soon as the class gets remotely energetic they fall apart. Not worth the money in my opinion. A gi is expensive. It needs to last a while.

9. Aikidojomofo

Aikidojomofo Valued Member

The TENGU brand one's? I've had one since October and it's fine so far but it's not as rugged as my Blitz Judo Gi that I use

10. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yes. Mine fell apart and so did a lot of the others the club ordered.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I was think of putting together a small terminology FAQ. Nothing intensive. Just basic stuff like what the place of practice is called, proper title for the teacher and senior students. That sort of thing.

So some contributions would be welcome. Remember to tell me what style your contributions refer to. :)

12. Randumbz

Randumbz New Member

I want to become a master martial artist

i've wanted to learn martial arts for a really long time.a couple of years ago i started taking karate lessons, but the sensei wasn't teaching us "real karate". my mom made me quit because she said that i didn't have enough time for it. i really want to become stronger and i'm interested in learning either muay thai, caopeira, or tae kwan do. is there somewhere where i can meet a martial arts master? how do i become one? by the way i'm only 13 (almost 14)

13. Simon

Randumbz, as I said to you earlier forget about finding a master. There are plenty of good instructors out there of all grades. A new instructor with a good understanding and enthusiasm may give you better coaching than a master who who has become stale.

You want to be a master, but all masters started off as students. Find a class you like with an instructor you gell with.
    Try not to miss to many lessons and practice a little at home.

What do you think real Karate is? Forget what you see in films.

Check out the beginners forum, you will find a lot more answers to your questions there.

Good luck.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well at 13 years of age you're certainly not about to start travelling the world are you. Read the FAQs. Tell us what's in your area. Why does your mother say you don't have time for martial arts?

15. Randumbz

Randumbz New Member

when i said that the sensei didn't teach real karate imean that after spending a year at that school, he didn't teach me anything that would help you defend yourself in a fight. it was shotokan karate by the way. And i didn't mean that i wanted to become a master RIGHT NOW. i just want to start basic training and then envetually get better and get a better teacher.

16. Simon

Maybe it is because you are 13. Who are you looking to defend yourself against? Fighting is nasty,violent and very sudden.

Don't worry about a fight that may never happen.

Train and enjoy it, when you are 17 with four years training behind you then take another look at where you are going.

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Where are you Randumbz? Give us a location and people may be able to give you some suggestions for good clubs :)

Mitch

18. Randumbz

Randumbz New Member

queens in new york city. i started watching youtube videos on tae kwan do kicks and boxing punches and i've already learned some new techinques. now i have to practice them.

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

That's possibly the worst way to learn. Who do you practice with?

20. Randumbz

Randumbz New Member

i just started doing this today so i don't have a partner yet. but i shadowbox a lot. I asked my mom if i could take taekwondo lessons last week, but she said no. i have to take swimming lessons instead -_-