nei jia clip

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by middleway, Dec 20, 2006.

1. middleway

middleway Valued Member

quick clip from class

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07A1s10NX4Y"]YouTube[/ame]

comments welcomed as always

cheers
    chris

2. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Hi Chris,

Thanks for another interesting clip....just wish I could get to your classes. Maybe if Santa brings me a helicopter and pilot!! :D

3. Yin-Yang Boxer

Yin-Yang Boxer Banned Banned

Hello middleway,
    A very good clip, you are incredibly fast! If I may ask, which Neija style is most predominant in those clips?

Many regards,

Yin-Yang Boxer

4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Before you "demonstrate" on someone, at least teach them to punch first....or at least ask them to try and punch you......or was he supposed to stand there with his arm out while you looked "fast"?

Anyway, its Christmas, so just this once, it looked great :D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

the demons are coming... the demons are coming... .. :eek: they're here!

:D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2006
  6. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Very nice and fluid stuff, liking the heavy elbow Chris.

Regards.

7. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Lol, I used a spell check and everything!

8. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Thanks for the comments all. :D

liokault, i will try .. problem is he studied boxing a bunch and is very good at xing yi so it would kinda be like trying to teach him to suck eggs .... to coin a frase! :D

YY boxer, that is mainly ba gua in the clip. coming fromthe dragon serves tea cups excersise.

Thanks all.

Best regards
    chris

9. Yin-Yang Boxer

Yin-Yang Boxer Banned Banned

Hello middleway, and all,
    I've never seen Bagua in practice, so it's very interesting to see it now :)

Many regards

Yin-Yang Boxer

10. Sroberts

Sroberts Valued Member

Hi liokault,

i live in swindon. If you want you can come and teach me how to punch....

:Angel:

see you soon
    sam

11. middleway

middleway Valued Member

hey sam ... your in Oxford a bunch ... maybe he doesnt need to travel too far ;)

just a thought! ;)

oh to be devils advocate!

:D

cheers
    chris

12. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

oh for a camera (I don't think they have any in Oxford) :D

13. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Totally ignoring the veiled threat:

Anyone who wants to come down to Oxford to be taught anything (or to teach anything :bang: ) should feel free, the one thing we are always short of it sparring partners. Feel free to bring a camera.

But if you come down (from swine town :D ), you have to promise to throw really slow punches (I'm calling them punches for want of a better word) that are going to fall at least three inches short (even if I don’t move out of the way), then remain stationary, with your arm out while you are totally unconscious of any action that I am doing, and totally resistant to the fact that you 1) are in an undesirable position and 2) can infact still move.
    Then you should fall over, possibly for no apparent reason. If there is a reason to fall over, you should make no attempt to avoid the cause of the falling.... falling is the goal.

Ok, that’s uncharitable; "everyone" has an aspect of leaving the arm out so the other person can do their thing. Having said that, it is something that you should be moving away from as fast as possible and should be minimised in training. As soon as you have a movement, you should be training it against ‘resistance’, not reinforcing illusions with compliance.

14. Sroberts

Sroberts Valued Member

the offers there my friend. You don't want to take it up, no probs. But don't go on about it. I do go up to oxford all the time.

Just give me a pm for when your free i'll pick you up.

I'ts not a veiled threat at all, just a chance for me to learn about punching.

Or if you don't feel comfortable with being all alone with me then if you drive down to me, only 30 mins, i'll take you to chris's class on a tues.

up to you, no nastiness, just friendly. But if you say something then just be prepared to back it up, remember it was not me who made the statement. The burden of proof and all that.

sam

15. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

I will certainly take you up on your offer, just PM me with how you wish to pay for your tuition.

But seriousely,

I'll not be taking up your offer; there is no real benefit to me in my travelling to Swindon to teach anyone anything.

But if you are in Oxford on Tue, Thurs or Sunday, feel free to come to one of our classes.

Back to my original point, do you really see no problem with the way the punching was done on the video? What is the value of the video? What was really being shown? Why, at a time when we are seeing lots of clips coming up, is Zendog (and co) the only one posting clips against resisting (or at least semi resisting) partners? Why do Zendogs clips look so very different to Middleways?

16. Sroberts

Sroberts Valued Member

the burden of proof.....o well..

Where do you train? What times?

Maybe you should ask Zendog about chris and what he is showing, whether i just fall over for no reason etc. If chris was to do the stuff whist i really attacked him i would come away with some serious injurys. It's called training because that is what it is. It is not posted under the heading of fighting so i really can't see your point. If it is about the ineptitude of the attacker then i've offered you a real insight into that, if it's about what chris is doing you need to go and see him. If you think he should be putting up more freestyle clips then fine but you seem to be judging the video with the wrong stick.

It's like me saying a sparring video dosen't have enough form in it...

cheers
    sam

ps where are your video clips, barring the brief san shou one?

17. tpyeon

tpyeon Valued Member

hello,

intersting to see those applications middleway, i always enjoy watching your clips.

there's always this debate raging here as to the proper way to prepare for fighting and that.

all methods have there advantages and disadvantages do they not?

liokault; i totally agree with the need for "live" training, but just because this clip is shown with a degree of co operation doesn't mean that they don't train under more trying circumstances. afterall, don't we all try and learn a principle and make it as smooth and natural as possible before stepping it up?

kind regards,

timo

18. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Lio,

Your comments on the distancing are incorrect. sams hits are on target and in range, If you are willing to try them from him then the offers are there.

I will gladly come to your class with sam and i will pay. We can spar or whatever. Its no problem.

This is not a threat, just a friendly idea. Your not far from us so why dont we all hook up and share some ideas.... what do you say.

PM me if your interested.

would be interested in seeing some of your application work on video. Is is ALL unco-operative even when teaching it to your students.... as was mentioned this is a class clip.

happy training, hope to see you soon.

Regards
    Chris

19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Burden of proof? What do you think I need to back up? Are you really saying that the "punches" you were throwing would have hurt even a 10 year old girl. Hell, most were not even punches, most of the time you just stepped slowly forward with your arm out stretched.

Best one for you will probably be the Sunday 4-6pm at Brooks University "studio" room. Nice place, big room, lots of mats etc.

I encourage you to come, because some of the things that you are saying here need to be backed up.

If you seriously attacked him, unless you really are lame, he would not have done anything like what the clip showed. I think we both know this to be true. He may have "beaten" you, but it would not be anything like the video clip.

But hey, prove me wrong, get Middleway to post something other than a lame clip. I personaly look forward to that day very much.

I never said it was fighting, What I said (to simplify) weas that it is barley training. I then went on to question the value of posting it, other than for the "wow you’re so fast" posts from people who know no better.

If what I wanted was an insight into what can be done to a totaly cooperative, stationary, unresisting person, I may well search Middleway out.

However, if I want to feel like I am getting real training against real people, then I will stick where I am now.

It was put up by Middleway with no context, hence I am free to judge it however I see fit.

This is normaly the point where someone says "he was a doorman you know" :bang:

Do a search, there is probably more shere quantity of video on here of me than of almost anyone. And not one second of it a demo.

20. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Its as uncooperative as the person being trained can take.

Once a movement is able to be done naturally, more and more pressure is applied to the point where it is more or less free sparring, but with th limitation that the person being trained should be trying to use the application.

Having said that, even in the first instance of learning an application, the entry should be trying to hit.

Note: The pressure is dependant on what the person can take, not on how much co-operation is needed to allow a unrealistic technique to work.

We really do not do that much single step sparring type application.