Nei Gong

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by inthespirit, Jan 26, 2005.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Nice point fugepilot.. However, you see Liokault has a much better understanding of Tai Chi then most of the modern day and past masters, hence his musing on Chi are much more accurate.. :eek:

Liokault you still have not answered my questions.. I'm starting to think you have something to hide..

2. cullion

cullion Valued Member

So, Chen man-ch'ing thinks using the force is important, but you agree that the 'chi' in 'Tai Chi' isn't the 'chi' you're talking about ?

3. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

CMC did a lot for tcc, not all of it good. He certainly was not a fighter as some people think. So I guess we could say that CMC style (of yang), because it emphasises the intrinsic energy to much over the physiological exercise is undeserving of the name 'Supreme Ultimate'.

4. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Ask again. Its a long thread.

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

your a joke ..

6. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Like it...Cheng man-ch'ing an ancient Jedi. :D
    Err...no: Quite the reverse. :)

7. cullion

cullion Valued Member

So you're saying that 'ji' and 'qi' are the same thing ?

8. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

I said nothing about 'ji' or 'qi' ;)

9. Shadowdh

Shadowdh Seeker of Knowledge

They most certainly are NOT Cullion... TaiJI is not Qi (to use the pinyin)... in wade giles the romanisation is Chi but its not the same as Chi... (ji and qi)... the two are different from what I see are very often very mixed up... I think thats were alot of the confusion lies... Just because I practice TaiJI doesnt mean I believe in the esoteric concept of Qi... if the two mean the same that means Cheese(Qi's)burgers should be the deadly... sorry bad joke, still reading about realism after the cold war...

10. cullion

cullion Valued Member

Sorry, it's just from the above quote I got the impression that you thought the 'chi' in 'Tai Chi' was the same as the chi in 'chi kung'. Which is an easy mistake to make if you don't commonly see them written as 'Taiji' and 'Qi Gong'.

11. Shadowdh

Thats where you equate or confuse ji and qi... the chi in Tai Chi is the old wade giles use of romanising Mandarin... ji is closer and more accurate... plus it wouldnt be as confusing...

12. cullion

cullion Valued Member

I understand this very clearly, I just wasn't sure if everybody else did, because some people here seem to think that you're not practicing real tai chi, or don't understand what you've been taught unless you believe that 'chi' is basically like 'the force' in star wars.

13. Shadowdh

Darn it you beat me...

14. Shadowdh

LMAO... yeah know what you mean...

15. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

No probs cullion :Angel:
    Just curious as to, what is the difference? :)

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

TB

Thanks for that, I might have a play on that, i'll chat to middleway about it at our next session, did you try to lock him when you met - trying to lock him is just like trying to lock a tree. :eek:

Incidently you may be interested (just a wee bit perhaps :D ) - if you didn't know They have just released the taiji DVD. Snap it up bro, I watched it 4 times the first night I got it. First time I've seen Alex practice/teach. Real good. The way he does the old yang taiji form is inspirational...v. different to what I've been taught.....great application too

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  17. Shadowdh

As I understand it different words... different meanings... Qi breathe air or a component of fizzy drink (pop) as in Qi Shui... Ji as in ultimate I guess..

18. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Thanks Shadowdh, I get the Qi=breath but could do with some more on Ji please. :)

19. Shadowdh

406 极(極) [jí] extreme; pole; 太极 Tài Jí ☯
    极[極] ¹jí adv. extremely zhòngyào extremely important ◆b.f. ①extremity
    zhōngjí ②utmost point, jíduān ③earth's pole, Běijí ④electrical/magnetic pole, zhèngjí, fùjí ⑤throne, dēngjí ⑥primary jíqiángyīn

Just the first part from Wenlin the Chinese resource...

20. cullion

cullion Valued Member

First, we'll write the romanized mandarin pronounciations of the two different phrases :-

'Tai Chi' = 'Taiji'

'Chi King = 'Qi Gong'.

Taiji, literally translated, means 'supreme principle', and in common usage is a phrase refering to the symbol westerners call the 'yin yang symbol'. This would seem to indicate that Taijiquan (Tai Chi Chuan) refers to a system of chinese boxing named after the principle of yin and yang (i.e. The very name indicates that Taijiquan is supposed to involve forceful physical strength as well as soft yielding, stillness and rapid movement in balance. Jekyll was trying to explain this because many of the people who view 'Qi' in a certain light also give the impression that they think Taijiquan is meant to be all 'yin').

Qi Gong, literally translated, means something like 'vital breath skill' or 'vital breath exercise'. This 'vital breath' is the thing which some people are interpreting as a hard-to-define energy field.

Suffice to say, the last word of 'Tai Chi' and the first word of 'Chi Kung' do not refer to the same chinese character or idea, they just happen to be romanized the same way from cantonese. Sadly, this has led many, martial arts enthusiasts with a 'new age' bent to confuse the two as referring to the same thing.