Need to unlock your R1 DVD player?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by honest_john, Jan 30, 2004.

1. honest_john

honest_john New Member

I posted this in my thread about Hero, but people might miss it, so I posted it under this more general thread.

Most DVD players bought in the UK (including the PS2) can be unlocked to play all other region's DVD's. This opens you up to a whole new world of cheaper/advance release DVD's.

Films like 'Hero' are not even availabe in the UK despite being chuffing excellent so get your DVD players' make and model and go here and look it up:

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/info/multiregion/

The codes are easily input via the remote to access secret menu's only normally available to the manufacturer (like a cheat on a games console) IT WILL NOT EVEN EFFECT YOUR MACHINES WARRANTY.

Crazy.

Enjoy.

Hj.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2004
  2. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Hey thats awesome...shame my parents didnt buy any of those dvd players. Who knows I may get my own soon. Thanks for that link

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

You can check out www.vcdhelp.com for a similar kind of website. Look for the Player hacks on the left hand banner.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

This comes right on time. I'm about to get myself a DVD player, and this piece of advice might save me 35£ for letting the guy at the store do it. Cheers :)

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Check you can hack the make and model before you buy it Adam. Some need a hardware hack, but most can use a code.

6. Adam

Adam New Member

Thanks heaps to everybody here. Me unlocking my dad's Daytek M-700M DVD player so he can watch his imported garbage has earned me hero status in the family for now :D

7. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Great idea why do they not just do it to begin with?

koyo

8. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

In Asia this was always the beauty of buying the cheap-as-chips Chinese DVD players becaue they could play all regions. Unlike many of the high-end brands that were locked into only a single region.

9. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Places like "Richer Sounds" sell players which are unlocked straight out of the box so there's no need for getting your player "chipped" or mess around inputting codes.

Similarly, with your PC/Laptop DVD drive there's any number of software you can get which keeps it multi-region. Most of these players will lock to a specific region after 5 times...

I'll never understand why people buy region locked players anyway. :confused: :D

10. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

Thread almost 3 years old! Nobody should be buying a DVD player anymore anyway, seeing as DVD is now obsolete.

11. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

Oh yeah, hee hee, just realised how old it was. :D

I think DVD has many years yet especially with the currently format war between Blue-Ray and HD-DVD. The last I heard was that Blue-Ray was winning, despite the botched PS3 launches, with more movies available on this format.

Time will tell on this one, but it's good to see companies making players that will play both formats.