Need to Break a Patio Block

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Shiro Kuma, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Hi, I will be testing for my 2nd Degree Black Belt before the end of the year, and I have to break a patio block. Does anyone have any advice or ideas on how to train for this?

2. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

bring a hammer?

3. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

I would love to, but my instructor wants me to use a palm strike. Go figure.

4. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

well, keep your fingers out of the way, focus on the technique, and strike through the block.

5. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Thanks. I have some time, I guess I should buy some blocks. :)

6. jujitsuka07

jujitsuka07 Body by Pizza Hut!

Dude, do you not get trained how to do that before your test?

7. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Yes, however, I have only broken boards up to this point. My instructor believes I have the skill to break a patio block. He has gone over the proper way to strike the block, and I have practiced, but whenever I actually go to break it, I fail. He thinks its a confidence issue. He's probably right.

8. pauli

pauli mr guillotine

if you strike through the target and fully commit, the block breaks. if you hesitate, you break. breaking is almost 100% mental.

9. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

Hopefully I'll be pumped up enough on the day of the test to just go through it.
    Maybe I should try hypnosis or something. :)

10. angacam

angacam Mare Est Vita Mea

Breaking blocks is easy. Focus through the block and forget it is even there. half of doing it is commitment and follow thru. If you don't have full commitment and pull up at the last second you wont break. My best two breaks so far have been 6 concrete blocks with an elbow and one with my head. The head one was a freekin rush and a half. :D

11. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

And all while on the set of the Matrix :p (j/k). I don't think i could headbutt a concrete block.... just on principle.

12. 19thlohan

19thlohan Beast and the Broadsword

To the hospital?

13. angacam

LOL, it was actually fun. Except when I stood back up I almost passed out cause the downward motion during the break followed by standing up too fast sent my head spinning.

Besides my teacher said I could do it so I never even considered that I could not. Goes back to mind set, if you know you can do the break you will, if you think you can't you probably won't.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  14. angacam

:p Nope, the concrete broke not me head.

15. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

I finally broke the patio block in practice last week. My test is set for September 18th, and I definitely have more confidence in my breaking ability now. The only problem is now my instructor wants me to break two!

16. angacam

if you did one two is not any different. The first real hurdle after the first hits at around 4.

17. cobramma

cobramma Valued Member

palm strike is a good way to break or hammer fist strike make sure u aim past the block and dont stop when u hit it

18. angacam

Of the two I would chose the palm strike if you have any confidence problems as it is easier to get your body weight behind the strike thus making the overall break easier for you. Though either one will work fine if you believe in yourself and follow thru with proper technique.

19. hux

hux ya, whatever.

I have nothing to add, I'm just making the mandatory reference to Bruce Lee's quote:

Landscaping pavers don't hit back.

Now that's out of the way - yea, it's almost entirely a mental thing. :) try not to let there be any questioon in yer head that yer gonna blast right throughg that thing and you will blst right throughg it.

20. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

I will just keep practicing 'till the 18th. I'm not sure if I will have to break one or two. I'm worried that the height might make a difference with two. I'm pretty short. Thanks for all the advice!