need some help from you college expirenced folks!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Paratus, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Okay, so here's my dilemma. I'm down to 2 universities to pick from. Forgetting tuition (I don't know how much in financial aid I'll be getting yet ;)) and location and what not, lets focus on the programs.

One University is Loyola University Chicago. The way they teach is to approach the major with a well rounded education. The other, the University of Evansville seems to teach in a more direct approach relating to the major.

For example, at Evansville the sociology course "World Population Growth" would be very specific class on that topic. While, at Loyola that topic would be covered over the course of several different anthropology courses.

So the question is, when pursuing a major in college is it better for the rounded education that covers a topic through a variety of courses? Or, is it better to go into a program that has classes that more directly deal with your major?

Any comments and/or thoughts on the matter would be a great help :D

2. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

OK, just some food for thought, and not anything etched in stone:

First, consider how sure you are of exactly what you want to study and what you want your major to be. If you are very sure and know exactly what you want, then find a school with a good reputation and a rock-solid program in that discipline. If you are not sure, then go with some place that offers a broad range of majors, so you can change/switch/modify/adapt what coursework you are taking.

Second, consider what you will enjoy. You will do better and remember more if you can enjoy what you are studying. I spent seven years in the Air Force, five years as a technical consultant in private industry, and now I own and run my own business. I honestly can't remember the last time anyone asked me where I got my degree. Future employers will care that you finished your degree program, and not where you finished it.

3. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

What he said, is that major EXACTLY what you want????If it is, than go for the direct approach.....but if your not sure thats exactly what you want, but something close in the field, go for the more general class, so youll have no trouble if you switch majors, because you have a bit of knowledge with everything

4. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

Yeah, I don't really know where I want to go in the field. I'm trying to find which one has more options

Thanks for the input :D

5. Sandus

Sandus Moved Himself On

As somebody who's seen both, I think it's best to ask yourself what kind of setting you prefer. Loyola is going to have a whole city with it (one you should hopefully be familiar with by this point in your life), while Evansville is decidedly more rural. In addition to purely academic considerations, ask yourself which kind of place you'd rather live in for four years of your life.

6. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

And if you can, visit both schools -- preferably while classes are still in session -- it will be easier to get a "feel" for both places, that way.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

go where the beer flows golden and errr..well..err, thats how I chose my uni.

8. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I second this. Especially since you are in the area.

My suggestion however is Loyola (as a knee jerk reaction). In a field like the social sciences (I should note that I'm currently doing Anthro focused Masters work at the University of Chicago) genralization can be a good thing. Especially since your direction might change. I'd choose the place with the more rounded education (especially in the Liberal Arts... go to the one where you read more... trust me... it's worth it). The benefit there is that you'll have a wider base to jump of from. Especially since you'll most likely have to do a masters or a PhD if you really want to get anywhere in the field. And the location of that is in many respects more important than where your undergrad is.

btw... if you'd like I can talk to people here at Chicago and get their feelings on both programs.

- Matt

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005