Need help -stiff arms Newbee Question.

Discussion in 'Judo' started by 40k, Sep 18, 2013.

1. 40k

40k New Member

Hi,
    Been doin judo for 6 months. I have a problem in Randori turning in for throws. This is due to my uki locking his arms out and I cannot turn in for a technique.

Any help appreciated. Sorry if this has been asked before.

Ta.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Theres a few approaches to this issue.
    Ignoring the timing one the main issue is that he has the same number of grips in you, that you have on him, before turning in you need to dominate the grip fight.

3. 40k

40k New Member

Can you simplify please?, I have just bought judo masterclass Grips book. Would this be a good starting point. As I said, I'm a beginner lol.

4. Dead_pool

It might well be a good place to start.

Essentially if you have a mutual grip (one sleeve, and one elbow each) then no-one has the mechanical advantage, the aim of grip fighting is to give you that mechanical leverage advantage so that it is easier to control the Uke.

The more grips you have on them the better
    The less grips they have on you the better
    The more 'inside control' (nearer the spine) you have the better

So for example if they have a single collar grip, and you break that grip, and regrip their collar whilst keeping hold of there sleeve,
    then you will have 2 grips, they will have No grips, = you have better control

Often they ill then grip your elbow with there rear hand -
    Then You will have 2 grips, they will have one grip, So again you win

But even for that one collar grip, your hand is nearer their spine then theirs is to your spine, so your single grip is much better then theirs, so again you win.

Make sense?

Ill try and find some videos, but looking on youtube for judo grip fighting is a good start.

5. 40k

40k New Member

That makes more sense thank you. Started reading the Grips Book by Neil Adams. If you find any clips that would be great. In the meantime I will look myself. Thanks K.

6. Dead_pool

Anytime mate, I found the grip fighting section of this very very good, He did a dvd instructional of it too called ''position impossible''

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guerilla-Jiu-jitsu-Revolutionizing-Brazilian/dp/0977731588/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379537091&sr=8-1&keywords=guerilla+bjj"]Guerilla Jiu-jitsu: Revolutionizing Brazilian Jiu-jitsu: Amazon.co.uk: Dave Camarillo, Erich Krauss: Books[/ame]

7. 40k

40k New Member

I'll check fighting films out for that dvd.

Regards

8. Dead_pool

It's not a pure Judo one so its unlikily to be there,

Dave camirillo is a ex high ish level Judo competitor who went the BJJ and MMA route quite a long time ago,
    I belive US judo instituted a rule about flying armbars because of dave as he damaged so many people with them in Judo comp when they refused to tap.

heres a nice video of him playing randori with some of his students - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn-S1V72aIA"]ThrowsCamH264.mov - YouTube[/ame]

9. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I was watching this one the other day. Getting a reaction is something I am quite weak at, along with breaking and changing grips

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9nAoeGRzPc"]Judo essentials - What Judo is all about Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

10. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Grip fighting is important, however I also find that 'shaking out' of your Gi is another way to move around stiff arms, and I use it a lot.

The thing is, the guy is holding you off because his arm is stiff and pushing on your body, the hand is held in place by the grip on the Gi. If you can shake your body out, that stiff arm stays attached to the Gi, but there is nothing on the other end of it, and your body is free to move. You will have to enter swiftly, or use your shoulders to keep their hands on the outside until you can make your entry, if they get back to a place where they are grabbing gi and their knuckles are touching your body you have to shrug out again.

11. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

One principle is called "elbow pressing". What you can do is to

- drop your elbow over his Gi holding hand.
    - wrap your arm around his Gi holding hand (like wrestling under hook). Keep moving your arm around his grip (it may take 2 to 3 circles) until his hand is completely caught by your Gi and he can't pull his hand out.

After you have done this on your opponent once, next time if he grabs on you and you drop your elbow "over" his grip, he will let go his grip very quickly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  12. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Another principle is called "tearing" as showing in the following clips. All you need to do is to

- push on your opponent's shoulder with your cross lapel hold,
    - pull back your opposite side shoulder,
    - use other hand to hit on his gripping hand wrist.
    - Keep moving with your footwork.
    - After you have broken one grip, break the other grip.
    - When your opponent has no grip on you, but you still have one grip one him, he will be very nervous and try to regain his grips, you move in and attack.
    - You can always obtain your 2nd contact point on your way in.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvY0XoauSVU"]tear1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHuGekCyODg"]tearing - YouTube[/ame]

13. 40k

40k New Member

Thank you for all your help and advice guys. Ive got plenty to think about and practise. Keep it comming.

14. Dead_pool

Also something to bear in mind is the substatial rules on gripping in judo.
    They changed recently.

15. 40k

40k New Member

Really enjoyed watching the clips thanks. I am a member of BJC, is there any difference rules wise between BJC/BJA/IJF etc.
    Sorry it's another newbee question.

16. Dead_pool

I know the BJA stick ridgidly to the IJA rulesets, The BJC may be alittle more old school with the but Im not sure.

Personally I think only training under one ruleset is a limitation.