Need help choosing!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by MerKaBa, Aug 17, 2005.

1. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Alright here's my dilema. I've been looking for a BJJ academy to add to my grappling and submissions, and I've been researching and taking trial classes at most of the schools on Long Island, and right now I have it narrowed down to 2 schools. The problem is they're both great, and I don't know which would be better for me.

I had pretty much decided that I wanted to join the Serra Jiu-Jitsu Academy. When I went there I was very impressed by everyone, and obviously Matt and Nick Serra are both highly renown and accomplished. Everyone there seemed to be very humble and equally skilled, and the time schedule is perfect for me. There are 2 schools I can attend, 1 about an hour from my house, and another about an hour and a half away. The drive doesn't bother me because I'm used to driving over an hour to train; however, Gas prices are getting pretty nasty.

Like I said I was about to sign up there when a personal trainer at my gym started telling me about his teacher, Master Fransico Mansor, and Kioto Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He mentioned that Mansor was a 9th degree Black Belt under Helio Gracie, and that he taught the owner of the Beverly Hills Jiu-Jitsu Club, and a few other people I'd heard of, and he got me pretty interested, so I researched a bit and everything seemed to check out. Then I went down for a trial class and I really enjoyed it. Again everyone there seemed pretty humble and skillful, and the time schedule is great. This academy is much closer to my house (about a 20 minute drive), and the cost is less, so it would be considerably cheaper and more convienient for me to attend this school.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone here could help me decide because right now I'm truely torn. I'm leaning a bit more towards joining the Kioto Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy, but I felt that the general level of competition was higher at Serra's school... then again when I took the trial at Kioto I was rolling with white belts and at Serra's I rolled with mostly Blue and Brown Belts.

So does anyone here have any advice?

2. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Well his belt rank checks out: http://bjj.org/a/people/mansor-francisco.html

Honestly if I were you I'd go for the closer one. I just think it would be a lot easier to train more when the class is closer because you don't have to worry about the two hours of driving you have to do.

3. MerKaBa

MerKaBa Valued Member

Thanks for the reply... and I think you're right, I'm probably going to go with Kioto. Though I am used to the drive, I drive further then that for my ninpo training on a regular basis anyway, but I may as well not have to do it twice a day.