Need Experienced Advise

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AlShak, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Kali/Escrima now but I've done some koryu bujutsu which included Jujutsu.

Keep in mind that finding good Japanese Jujutsu might be tricky.

2. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

That's exactly what I decided to go for. Escrima then at layer stage Japanese Jiu Jitsu. A very experienced friend told me Escrima is a very realistic training art

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Escrima is great, but in your shoes I'd be doing Thai or Kudo and Judo or BJJ. Either of the first will make you a tough, competent, conditioned striker, either of the second will sort your grappling.

Get anywhere near good in that combination and you'll be a monster.

Mitch

4. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

I heard this advise before from a friend, that's why I thought of JJJ as an alternative to Judo and Escrima instead of MT or Kudo.
    I will try Escrima and go for few classes and compare (I have done MT b4, this way i can compare better between them)

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

JJJ as often taught is not really an alternative to Judo. JJJ can be static and non resistant, Judo is almost always hands on and resistant. Grappling with people who want to beat you is the best way of learning grappling. Judo won't teach you strikes of course...

...which is where the MT or Kudo comes in. :)

Still, the main thing is to find the thing you love and really dive into it, so give Escrima a try; you never know, you might be about to find a new passion in your life!

What a great situation to be in, enjoy! :)

Mitch

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Depending on what's available in your area, obviously but...

Recently departed GM Ciriaco "Cacoy" Canete developed his own style (in addition to leading a wing of Doce Pares Eskrima). He called it Eskrido. It's a combination of eskrima, judo, jiujutsu, and aikido. Since Doce Pares is one of the more widely available forms of eskrima, you might luck out.

As a cultural note, notice the spelling of "eskrima." There's no "c" in the Filipino alphabet. So they generally spell it with the "k." Not a correction precisely. Plenty of people spell it with a "c." But if you're interested in the art, I think that the cultural insights make it more interesting still.

7. AlShak

AlShak Valued Member

Thanx for the info bro, appreciated