neat weapons for womens self defense

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by wayofthedragon, Nov 20, 2003.

1. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

Not you silly!

2. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

I've been reading the posts here and I notice that some people are leaning toward weapons being taken, or not having it out, or even with them at the time. Ouch, now none of that would be good. I think that a person who is serioius about defending them self (depending on the area they're in)should be should keep a weapon ( if weapons are their thing) on them at all times, as well as be aware of their surroundings at all times, and before anything happens, if something doesnt' seem right, already have it drawn and ready to do damage. I think a lot of time what goes wrong is that people freeze up, or hesitate, or think too much. I think if they just do what they have to do, then things may be a little better for them in the situation. Thats only maybe, because once in a situation, theres no telling what can and will actually happen

3. stickgirl

stickgirl Valued Member

hiya
    from the knife training that i have done (using a metal blade, not a rubber knife!!) i personally think that it can be easy to lose a knife, if you attack at the wrong angle the knife can get knocked or pulled out of your hand, ie on clothing. or a blow to the back of the hand can cause an automatic reflex off the fingers opening.

If i was to carry a knife for defense it would be a kerambit (yoda will prob correct me on the spelling and history). its an indonesian/ asian weapon that either loops around the finger or has a grip and slots between the fingers (poor description).
    as for getting the weapon out of the handbag, the handbag itself can be used as a weapon, i know that by the time i have my phone, purse and makeup in there it can be heavy, and if it distracts the attacker then i will damn well use it.

at the end of the day i would fight tooth and nail to get out of a situation and will use any dirty trick neccessary, but more importantly i try not to get into that situation in the first place.

jees this is my longest post ever, hope i havent bored you.
    :D

4. minimal

minimal New Member

A little accessible knife like the pendant one, or anything clipped to a belt which was not too obvious, is probably not a bad idea. If you have been subdued and act subdued and the attacker buys it, you might be able to stab such an implement into the back of the hand and run.

A ring with a sharp point could be used to scratch and make a long, non life threatenting but shocking and painful cut along the hand and the forearm.

I think even someone who carries a weapon at all times needs to practice self defense unarmed at least as much as armed, because the best laid plans of mice....

I think a loud alarm is useful here also, it could allow you to run and it and the attention it generates is a psychological weapon, makeing the attacker want to run away to avoid notice and fight less effectively if he or she stays. Around the neck or on the waist it is easily reached. I think even the attacker who stayed would be likely to panic and attack in a rushed manner leaving them vulnerable.

As impromptu weapons go, I think about the best one other than a short stick is a pen. Attack approaching limbs with it (hands and shins, as shoes would block a pen) in the 'psycho' grip but tending to point forward (not down in a quarter-circle stabbing motion). It can be kept in the rear hand. It can help redress the balance if the opponent has a knife, but if they have a stick even a foot long it should be dropped as it will reduce the range of your attacks, decrease chin-na effectiveness, and it might be relied on, but I don't think a pen or knife can readily parry a stick attack.

5. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

The cell phone stun gun is very cool , and the pen knife, the mace spraying rings are pretty cool and unexpected as well, J&L self-defense products have alot of stuff like that.

6. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

I like the pepper spray key chain.

7. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Only one thing bothers me about all these weapons: what's to stop a potential mugger / rapist from getting hold of one? I mean like a tazer / pepper spray to incapacitate their victim before doing their mugging / raping?

And while we're on the subject, a word of warning: I recently got an email from my local neighbourhood watch about someone going around my local area claiming to sell cheap perfume. They'd offer you a sniff, you'd pass out (I don't know what chemical was used) and they'd rob you while you were unconscious on the floor. These ideas sometimes spread - just be careful out there. :)

8. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

probably chloraform. now that you've said that, whats to stop someone from picking up the idea here and using it?

9. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

The thing that's nice about pepper spray is that it works from a distance. Hopefully, You use it on your attacker before they are in grabbing range of you. Alarms are good too and are the safest for the victim, especially if they have no martial training, but aren't good for isolated areas, like a campus parking lot late at night.

Last edited: May 14, 2005
  10. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

A question that could just as well be asked of the policeman that email the original warning to me!

My thoughts: I'd rather be aware that this sort of thing was going on, even at the risk of giving dodgy people a new idea. For someone who's that way inclined, they're going to be looking out for ideas like this all the time so they'll be more likely to come across it anyway. For your average law-abiding potential victim, their head is going to be full of the usual business of just getting on with their life, so the odds are they won't ever become aware of it unless told. If you tell 100 people about it, 2 might say "oh yeah, I'll try that" but the other 98 will think "I'll watch out for that".

It's a good question though - to warn or not to warn . . .

11. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

A woman with leather and knows how to use it. :love:

If an improvised weapon is necessary and the bad guy gives the woman enough time then a leather belt can be stylish yet functional...
    and easy on the eyes.

Attached Files:

12. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

LOL: Fire blinds, not kills, maker assures

Did you see the video clip? That's a rediculous claim, the mannikin was roasted. I couldn't dodge out of that flame in time to avoid third degree burns and I doubt most people could. Besides flamethrowers rank up with assault rifles and machine guns in terms of weapons of war, just think what gangsters could do if they dismounted it from the car and used it as a hand weapon... There's going to be a lot of lawsuits over that thing.

Stupid.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  13. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

A deoderant/hair spray can

14. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

thats something else. a Flamethrower will most definately decrease the crime rate.
    somehow that 80 bucks in the register isn't so important when a flamethrower rolls down the street.

15. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Some of the suggestions make sense. Others are ridiculously bad advice.

• The advice about awareness and willingness is really good.
    • Cholorform - It shows up in movies, but do criminals actually know where to find it over the counter, much less use it? Not hardly.
    • Pepper spray - Long since debunked. It just plain doesn't work against motivated, goal-oriented attackers. The FTC forced MSI Mace to write a letter saying "It doesn't stop violent attackers", the original FBI researcher did several years of time for taking a bribe to cook the experimental results, the Berkeley PD study, Modern Warrior's extensive trials, etc. etc. etc.
    • The Taser definitely has its uses where it's legal, but the shock-box stun guns are not worth the time or money. In his famous LFI-II class Massad Ayoob uses a shock from a stun gun as the signal to start firing your pistol. The Taser company tries to be careful about whom it sells its products to, but I wouldn't be surprised if it and pepper spray will be used in more muggings over time.
    • "Don't use a deadly weapon. The bad guy will just take it away and use it against you." Often quoted. Never substantiated. The actual research shows just the opposite.
    • Laws concerning knives vary widely. In the UK you can be thrown in jail for "carrying an offensive weapon" for simple possession of any sort of knife in public. In the US you really need to find out what your local regulations are. The concealed spikes, sword canes and neck knives are guaranteed to make you fail the police attitude test. The knife Stickgirl is thinking of is indeed a kerambit. It used to be off law enforcement's radar. Since they've become trendy the police are developing an attitude about them.

16. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Considering the horrendous rates of murder, robbery, rape (and rape in S.A. has a nearly even chance of involving AIDS) and carjacking in South Africa the flamethrower seriously isn't such a bad idea. The versions I've seen are mounted under the car. They would make lousy hand-carried weapons, and the gangsters already have machine guns and explosives.

Extra points if you can explain the difference between assault rifles and machine guns.

17. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Excellent posts as always Tellner. One other things folks that needs to get brought up again. Statistics (at least for the US) demonstrate that a woman is most likely to be attacked/assaulted by someone she knows. These assualts often happen indoors and not on the street. While weapons can always help, they have often been taken away or at least moved out of range by the scenario itself.

Awareness is always the first and most important weapon. After that train people to see and take advantage of simple to deploy environmental weapons before you consider any urban ninja gear.

- Matt

18. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Oooh... you got me. Semi automatic v. automatic (or are machine guns chain fed?).

- Matt

19. silverfox_y2k

silverfox_y2k Valued Member

Hi all,
    Unfortunately in the UK it is illegal to carry any item intended for personal self defence. So we are not even allowed to carry CS gas or OC Sprays let alone tazers or anything like that. However, I have come across this pretty neat item which is not really designed primarily as a defence tool.

Check it out at www.theweeble.com
    From what I can se its been designed more as a container of some sort, but I guess can double up as a weapon if necessary.

I think if women were to use anything agains an assailant here in the uk, their best chance is to used any improvised weapon that they can get their hands on, whether it be a mobile phone, umrella etc..

20. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Machine guns are ones which are designed to fire fully automatically. Assault rifles are fully automatic or selective fire (i.e. you can choose between fully and semi automatic by flipping a switch) rifles which typically fire a smaller reduced power cartridge.

The confusion comes because certain American politicians created the term "assault weapon" about ten years ago. An assault weapon is not capable of fully automatic fire. It describes several firearms which look like selective fire weapons, a number of specific brands of gun and magazines over a certain capacity. In other words, it was designed to confuse the issue for political purposes.

It seems to have been very effective at it.