Natural talent vs Hard training

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Dauragon, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Dauragon

Dauragon New Member

Hi all,
    I'm sure some of you will agree that some people seem to be natural martial artists i.e. pick it up fast and well.

I was wondering if these people have the potential to go furthur than someone who is not a "natural" or the same potential in the end but just progress faster and find it easier.

Obviously different body structures (e.g. being massively overweight) are a factor in potential (say - i mean in the context of high kicks for this example) but lets not include them and assume everyone is equal in this respect.

but what I mean is do you think someone who is not as naturally talented can reach the same level as someone who has more natural talent with really hard and dedicated training or do you think they will not be able to progress as far (assuming they have the same body structure/fitness/ level?

what is everyones perspective on this?

cheers all :)

-D

Last edited: Jun 30, 2003
  2. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Yep, its true, the fighter is more important than the style!

3. johndoch

johndoch upurs

Some people will be better than others its simple as that really. If someone has the drive to train hard then that drive is their natural talent.

IMHO natural talent will only go so far without a good exercise regime and good fitness levels a MA will be pretty poor no matter how talented he/she is.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I've had several "Naturals" as students over the years- they all seem to do the same thing - make great gains very quickly then get bored and move on to the next fad.

Give me a student who has to work for every ounce of progress any day.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I agree .... I think the harder you work and sweat you seem to appreciate your gains a bit more and refuse to quit until you reach your goal of being the best you can!

But yes, I've seen the "naturals" ... and I hate em'!!:Angel: :D

6. Adam

Adam New Member

In my experience, hard work and superior toughness will outlast natural talent every time. There was a guy in my old club, exellent kicker and good combat sense, but no dedication whatsoever to the art or his homework exercises. In the end, he was everybody's punching bag because everyone else had exeeded him in skill and power.

7. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Smile, laugh, be happy!

Ditto to what YODA said.

8. Fergie Boy

Fergie Boy New Member

But can a student who has less talent achieve the same level of skill through hard work and dedicated trainning, or is it like sports where you need lots of talent to be good, not talking about tournament fighting here,

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

My sensei said the exact same thing in class today :D

I think people who aren't naturals can progress to be as good as those who are naturals, they just have to work twice as hard to be as good. To me, natural talent is performing a good technique effortlessly, and that can be worked on.

10. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

I really think so, yes. It may take twice as long , but it's possible.

I nearly made a similar comment on the'Bruce Lee Overrated' thread. Bruce had the willpower to succeed at anything he did. He just happened to choose Martial Arts.

From what I've seen, it's less about your natural physical ability, and more about your willpower to explore your latent talents.

As Dave said, naturally talented people are ten a penny, but they all quit. I've seen kids who could change light bulbs with their feet, but they never stick around. They're in it to show off, and the first challenge that comes along, they usually bottle it.

A good Instructor recognises this, and looks to bring out the best in everyone, not just pamper those priviledged by genetics.

11. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Nothing can take the place of hard work and dedication.

What about Michael Jordan? Kicked off his high school basketball team and he was one of the best players in the world.

12. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Uh... ouch.

I've only been doing MA about a year and a half...

I've been told numerous times I'm a natural, talented, ect. ect.

I'm not giving up!

:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

My solution to all the 'problems': Spice it up. Make it harder. Do way more. Ala cross training!

13. Dauragon

Dauragon New Member

thanks a lot everyone. - I've only been a member of this forum a few days now and its great that so many MA's are willing to contribute and share their p.o.v. with a newbie (to the forum not to martial arts)