Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Aaaargh, you, you....! You're terrible :mad:
    But... but tommorrow! :D I am going to train, you know? And then, too! All of the days, (except maybe Sunday, I think)! You know? How active am I, hm? :D
    Wanna do a burnt calorie challenge this week, hm? Oh, wait.... On a second thought, maybe not with you :D:oops:

Travess likes this.
  2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

:D:D:D

I think if mine were to be a higher number burnt, it'd only because I'm fatter and older, so I think I'll pass :p

Travess

3. Nachi

I thought more along the lines that you could possibly run a marathon or one of your crazy distances and win over my hard-earned weekly calories in one fell swoop :D I couldn't risk that :D

axelb and Travess like this.
  4. Nachi

Ok, so I did slack off for the past few days, but I think it does have some benefits to just get a break from time to time! Like, my weighloss has been stuck but seems to be going now, despite me not being very strict on myself. Also, my heart rate tended to be higher than before lately. Today and yesterday, though, I tried measuring my resting HR and got 40 bpm each day, similar to what I had before. Though a question is how precise the polar watch are. One time I used them to show my current HR and they showed 33 or something, which was ridiculous and I could feet and tell from experience with measuring that I had around 70 and as I moved a little, it suddenly skipped to 70, too :D This time though I was lying down and the HR kept going steadily down. So it was to be trusted and it shows a bit over 40 as the lowest point every day lately. I think in reality it may actually be a bit higher, but still, the thing is it is less than in the last couple of months :)

Tuesday 20.2. 18:

Karate class:

When I arrived, there was no one except for me and sensei. But two teenagers arrived before we started and another one a bit late. Sensei was a bit dismayed as she wanted to drag me for a beer or something, if I was there alone, but training is training :D
    We did discuss the upcoming karate mountains, though a little adn started late. This training was a very "lazy" one. We did techniques but sensei also talked about some thoery after we asked about some details.
    And finished a bit earlier

- Warm-up with a game of tag
    - stretching
    - Open-handed kihon
    - Open-handed kihon used in combinations against partner, finished with a takedown or an armbar
    and playing like that. Fairly technical so we didn't really sweat, but good for practising what we couldn't do well. And sensei showed some interesting things, too :)
    - short belly work-out

Polar results:
    Time: 1:46
    Max HR: 145
    Average HR: 87
    Training benefit: Recovery training
    Kcal: 285
    Fat burn: 61 %

axelb likes this.
  5. Nachi

Wednesday 21.2.18

I asked sensei today if it wasn't by chance a start of a new semester and thus, new semester of karate classes at my former faculty. And it was :) Since I don't have the crossfit memebership, yet, and was planning to do these classes anyway, I went. And will be going on Wednesdays. I will need to figure my "training plan" now. The perfect scenario would be:
    Monday - crossfit
    Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday - karate
    Friday and Saturday - crossfit
    Sunday - kobudo.
    But... unfortunately I can't spend all of my free time training .... probably ... so I don't think I will be able to do it like this... :/

Karate at uni:

Not too many people now, but six of them already known faces :)
    Sensei arrived a bit late and did some introduction at the beginning, so we spent maybe an hour or less actually moving.

- Junbi Undo (knee strikes practise included)
    - Punch practise - different exercises
    - Rolling push-ups at the end (I don't know - 40? or 50? 60 maybe?) and 10 push-ups to squeeze our energy out :D

At the end I discovered I didn't start teh measuring on my Polar strap - I probably hit the button wrong, so no polar results today :)

6. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I always find the lower the HR, the harder it is to get a solid measure.
    I've had the opposite happen on a workout, skip up to 220bpm at the start and I had to double take :D

Nachi likes this.
  7. Nachi

That is, unfortunately, probably true. When I got my chest strap and already had the watch, I tried them at the same time, while sitting. The difference was around 10 bpm most of the time. And I thought they said that it is more accurate when being still rather than during exercise. So at first, I thought it would be very accurate, but it may not be so. On the other hand, when trying with the chest strap some time ago, I got down to 42, too. I suppose that one should be more accurate? I should try again :)

In the work-out it would actually surprise me less. I mean... the fact it is not so accurat. 220 bpm would surprise me... a lot :eek: :D Wow, what kind of exercise were you doing?

8. axelb

When you are still, it can read better, but as your pulse goes down it's weaker due to a small pressure drop, which makes it harder to read.

I was starting a run when it jumped to 220bpm, I took a moment to check myself as it didn't feel like it jumped, just a bad read.

9. Nachi

Hm, that seems to be true, sometimes whe I tried, I let the HR go down, then restarted the measuring and there was some drop - like the HR went down more than the watch showed it seemed.

I see, must have been some sprint! :D

10. Nachi

Thursday 22.2.18

I wasn't supposed to be in the dojo today, but things changed lately, so I went to both the kids and adults class:

Karate Kids:
    Only six students today, only the beginners and a bit older teenage girl who came to try for the first time today. I later learned she was a sister of another boy who has been our dojo's student longer than me. She was nice and learned quickly, she had some understanding of tsuki and maybe other techniques "because brother". :) I wanted to do some work-out and do a bit more things then usual - firstly to keep the kids' attention, second to give the newcomer a taste of what we do. Some running/jumping/crowling at the beginning, game of tag, junbi undo with hiza geri and tsuki included. Practising hiza and mae geri. I counted and counted and had them do a few dozens of mae geri, in fact :D We quickly went through the attacking part of San Dan Gi Ichi and started practising age uke which is the first technique in the defence. And did various work-out in between or during practise. I did everything with them to motivate them and see what is or isn't enough (this is probably where I got my max HR for today). They were nice, behaving quite well, except for when one of the two troublemakers slapped the ear of the second one, for no apparent reason. Since he hit the ear, the hit one was crying. Not much I thought I could do with him. In fact, my co-teacher and co-sensei in this class is this boy's mum, so I told her to take care of him if she wants, she just went to check on him later, we let him sit a the side for a while, then he joined us back, when he felt like it. It was obvious the perpetrator who is usually quite arrogant, regretted it and when I sent him to do 20 burpees and told him a few things, he went to the corner and oh those burpees! I never saw him do them remotely as well. He also spent there quite a while and not resting. He would usually cheat the numbers, but this time it seemed like he did at least 30. And when both the boys returned, I had to do some motioning and he did apologise to the boy without a blink. I am happy he at least realized he really shouldn't have done that.
    Anyway, the new girl seemed very enthusistic about hte class, at least her mum said she was running to her saying it was great and she is going to continue coming. That made me fairly happy! :)
    Since she's older, though, when the mum-daughter duo was thanking sensei who just arrived, sensei asked if she was going to continue with the just starting adult class, since she's just about the age when she could. She was a bit reluctant as she said she's tired already, but we tried to persuade her to participate instead of watching and her mum then just pushed her in :D
    I think she is the kind who will pick things up quickly and could quickly progress :)

Adult karate:
    - Footwork - moving to various directions, turning etc. for a warm-up
    - Junbi Undo, knee kicks included
    - knuckle push-ups, sumo squats and half sit-ups
    - Practising a strike to the neck, solo, then in pairs and partner drills of some unusual (- turning) techniques. Hate turning, my head spins way too fast :D
    - We quickly went through Renzoku kumite and San Dan Gi Ichi
    - For the last maybe hour we went through Saifa kata, step by step, then chained them together and did the kata upervised by sensei 4x
    - Stretching

Polar results:
    Time: 3:04
    Max HR: 175
    Average HR: 119
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 1147
    Fat burn: 40 %

Travess and axelb like this.
  11. Travess

Starting feel very relieved that you didn't go ahead with that 'calories used challenge', as I ended up with very similar stats to you tonight (time: 3h 07m / 177 bpm max / 110 bpm average) but calorie count was only 760!!!

Travess

axelb likes this.
  12. Nachi

Oh! How come? :O
    Hmm, the challenge was a good idea after all, then! :D I just... I hope it... no, it definitely doesn't show who's the fat one among us :D

13. Travess

Ha ha - a very... diplomatic response!

Travess

Nachi likes this.
  14. Travess

I think, looking in to it, that this comes down to 'training zones' - as my resting HR is noticeable higher than yours, your heart would need to work that much harder than mine would, for the bpm to reach the level.

Travess

axelb and Nachi like this.
  15. Nachi

That would make sense, however, it is hard to believe the watch would count with my resting HR as it is not noted down anywhere.

I actually found a way to count kcal based on age, weight, sex, average HR and duration of training. If I write down my stats, it shows exactly 1147 for women, but 1722 for men. Now this is interesting. If I write more weight, the kcal burn actually rise for men but go down for women. Hm, the only thing I can figure out from this is that... your HR monitor has different rules, obviously :p So... all your stats are wroooong :D Or perhaps, the formula they count the calories by is more sophisticated. I can't think of anything else.

Also, a friend of mine, who exercised similarly today, but had a different bodyweight and is older than me has a monitor where there is "running! as a default type of training. For the measured data from today it told her she burned some 165 kcal, which is just ridiculous, but when she changed the type of training, she suddenly got 2200 kcal :D Not sure which one is more ridiculous, but these differences (even considering there are some) after changing type of training seem quite suspicious to me.

16. axelb

The estimated kcal burnt is more accurate based off your training zones, which is worked out with you resting and max HR, the range between those is used in a formula to determine how much kcal you burn at you current weight.

Most HR equipment works it out for you based on what has been recorded on it.

Nachi and Travess like this.
  17. Nachi

I see, I will try to find out if my watch or the app records it, too. It does have an estimated max hear rate, but I never saw anything about the resting one. Except for me trying to do the fitness test. But the kcal estimate has been there before it, too, and this fitness test only appeared after I got the chest strap. I, however, only finished the test when my HR was higher than normal...
    If the watch records the lowest recorded HR, that would be a problem, as it showed, at one time, as I mentioned 33 bpm :D SO if it counts with that... well, I will be burning a lot! :D

18. Nachi

Hm, but still, the formula I found previously just gave me the same amount of calories based on the factors I wrote above and no mention about any resting or max heart rate. So maybe my monitor is among the more primitive ones :)

19. Nachi

Friday 23.2.

KARATE MOUNTAINS

Our main sensei didn't plan anything this year, but our second sensei todether with one student organized a trip to the mountains for a weekend. Originally, we were supposed to arrive on Thursday evening, but things changed at the last moment and so we left on Friday morning. This event was about skiing and training, of course. Mostly downhill skiing, but as usual, I didn't do it for many years and I right now prefer crossfountry skiing. We were only a small group - my friend, my dad, who ended up coming with us, and me.

We went cross-country skiing on Friday after lunch. My dad was the fastest, with me in a tow and we occassionally waited for the friend to catch up. It was a nice trip, with only little elevation.
    My gps-measured distance didn't work really well, so I am basing it on the map:

We also had a longer break in the middle when deciding whether to return or try to either climb the hill or go down and then climb it back. We returned. At the end, we got separated adn I tried looking at one other trail and I met an old man of 79 also skiing, telling me the trail is his and it leads nowhere, he just changes his shoes in the forrest :D We chatted for quite some time in the end, though, so the rest of my group had to wait for me a bit in the end. I didn't stop the Polar measuring for these breaks, so the actual time would be shorter.

Polar results (breaks included):
    Time: 2:35
    Max HR: 162
    Average HR: 128
    Training benefit: Steady State training +
    Kcal: 1126
    Fat burn: 34 %

Upon our return, we had maybe an hour and a half to eat, take a shower and rest before heading out for training.

Karate training:
    I spent a good deal of time persuading my dad he should try, too. He long since "infiltrated" my group of karate people, come to Croatia for seminars (and swimming) with us, also joined us on our trip to the world seminar in Okinawa. But never tried karate before.

- We started with catchball and short work-outs as penalty for getting hit, throuwing the ball among the chairs in the dance room we wer in, getting the ball caught, etc.
    - Junbi Undo
    - Partner work-out
    - Circuit training (in pairs):
    1. 20 mawashi geris to pad for each side (when both partners finish, we all go to the next place)
    2. One partner work with the ab roller (I offered to bring it and despite two friends trying to hide it from sensei's eyes, I brought it to the stations. Too bad :D I rolled it from my knees all the way out, 20x
    Second partner got a rubber band - one end of it stepped on we practised kagi tsuki to the side
    3. I also brought my jump rope (finally a chance to try it out!) and sensei found 3, 1 of which was actually working so we could skip at this station.
    4. Any kind of bodyweight work-out - we did 10 burpees, some thing hard to describe and a few second long plank before end of the round
    5. One partner holds on end of the rubber band, the other one uses the other end for resistance to practise tsuki

- 20 minutes (roughly) or Sanchin practise
    - Different kinds of tsuki - altogether 10x40. There were 10 people and each one got 1 kg wrist weights for 40 techniques.
    - Kihon - tsuki and partner drills
    - Stretching

My dad said he could feel his thighs after and it was quite tiring, but he actually liked it. Not as much as to continue, though :D And I have to say, he actually did quite well! :) The one thing he was most happy about, was, however, that he was able to skip for 8 jumps in a row! :D He was really happy he managed such a feat considering he couldn't remember, if he ever actually tried skipping :D
    I am happy he gave the whole thing a chance, though, and honestly tried to do everything :)

Polar results:
    Time: 2:00
    Max HR: 172
    Average HR: 119
    Training benefit: Basic training, long
    Kcal: 745
    Fat burn: 40 %

aaradia and axelb like this.
  20. Nachi

Oh, I forgot to add the c-c skiing was for about 11 km.

axelb likes this.