Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Oh, I see :D
    A Friend called to the hospital because someone said if it is right away, they can sort of stick the part of the tooth back. They said, however, to wait till the morning. No sticking and not much they can do with it now. And to go visit my regular dentist. So I called there in the morning, getting the answer they are fully booked today and giving me contacts for a stomatologist surgery, where I then called, talking with the doc. She said they basically just pull teeth out and to do something about the soft tissue injuries, and that I should still visit my dentist first as he is the one who should explain to me what she just explained and she needs him to write a recommendation after examining me and seeing what happened. We talked, she obviously not having enough patients. After a while I got a call back from her to make sure I don't tell my dentist that she tells him what to do etc :D It was quite fun. And I managed to unintentionally discourage her from visiting a karate class nearby herself :D

My thoughts exactly :D Well, it didn't... Or it did, a bit. But the smoothie was a not very pleasant meal :D
    Today is great, though. The tooth gives me much less trouble. Which I am happy about, though it feels a bit suspicious....

Oooh, that's not nice at all :( What a pity you couldn't go there.

Well, me and my dad sort of immediately agreed it is best to not tell her at all :D She would probably go crazy. But not the sort of: don't complain. I have no intention to, but she's likely to start blaming me, talking me out of doing karate, such a stupid sport, shout at me and generally act like I offended her somehow, as if I didn't regret it enough myself. When I was little and got injured, I cried not because of the injury, but because mum will be very mad :D (like when I also almost knocked my teeth out, cut my lip quite a bit and got a huge and black-purplish bruise on my chin just a week before and immatriculation ball - a bigger welcoming event when I entered highschool when I was 11. It is better if mum doesn't know. :D if this injury ahs some conswquences, I am still scared of her, sort of :D

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Sorry that happened to you Nachi.

I don't mean to be critical, but I have to ask.

Why doesn't your school use mouthpieces when doing things like what got your tooth knocked off? You said you got knocked like that before. It seems like a mouthpiece should be required.

Even if your school doesn't require it, you might want to consider using a mouthpiece anyways?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  3. Nachi

Thank you, aaradia. :)

No, by that "before" I meant what I then wrote above: when I was little and was skiing and got overconfident. Nothing to do with karate.

We bought mouthpieces and we can wear them. We weren't sparring now, though. It was a bad accident. Just a demo where there was supposed to be no contact for this strike, but somehow, and I am not sure how, it happened. We've done similar things many times, this was just a bad coincidence apparently. We were just drilling with light contact to the body and none to the head. Just practising combinations we could use in sparring. So seemimgly there was no danger nor need to wear a mouthpiece :/ It was just a bad accident.

4. Nachi

So I missed Saturday's seminar. According to sensei nothing extra special was there - most o the things we do in the dojo. I was praying that that would be the case :) From another source, though, I heard they did some nice things and the seminar was great. I still think I decided well not to go, because quite a few exercises would have me scared someone/something touches my teeth, and that would be unbearable.

Kobudo class was cancelled, sensei went south to prepare for a competition in Poland.

Sunday 22.1.17. After many years a part of Vltava - the Prague's river froze. I used to go there ice-skating with my dad when I was a kid and now it froze again! I went skating with my family. About an hour and a half. I didn't try overly hard. I last ice-skated about three years ago. So I was a bit unsure at first, but after a while I continued my eternal struggle to learn the technique to turn when going backwards. The shoes are as hard as ever, leaving my feet with red marks.

5. Nachi

Monday 23.1.17:

I went to the dentist this morning as we agreed. I hoped he would finally fill the whole in my tooth. He welcomed me: "Oh, the karate girl is here!" :D Checked the teeth, observing it must have been some shot, though the gum looks much better already and the teeth hurt less. Though I won't be biting anything with them for a while, I suppose. The doctor told me he won't treat the tooth today, as I wouldn't be able to bear that. Well, I thing the one that needs the repairing actually doesn't hurt and I could, but since it is not too sensitive anymore, I let him judge. A week seemed too soon, he prefered two weeks, but in the end wrote me on next Thursday. For now, he covered the whole with some cement or what - a temporary seal/filling. Which seemed fine, until it fell off by itself without me doing nothing at all about five hours later :bang: :meditate: This was supposed to last for a couple of weeks?! :thinking::rolleyes: Thank god it isn't sensitive anymore. But I still sort of hoped to get rid of the annoying hole :D
    I also got an X-ray, but I suppose I'll learn what it showed next week.

18:30-20:00 - Beginner class:
    I went to training today, luckily we didn't do anything teeth-dangerous and when I talked to a friend, she suspected we won't have a sparring class for a while now :D
    - Junbi Undo
    - Around 30 quick knuckle push-ups - meaning definitely less for me - I can't possibly keep sensei's pace nor go so low. Then some holding down in a push-up and standing for a while on the knuckles of one hand. On the soft tatami, though.
    - 80 half sit-ups
    - Kihon - 10x repeating any technique sensei came up with. Safe teeth-wise and just doing different stuff all the time means I quite enjoyed it and was definitely happy for a class like that :)
    - We also did kicks, some of them slowly: mae, mawashi, ushiro, fumikomi, kansetsu geri and m..., m..., argh, I just forgot the name of the last one! ................ EDIT: Ha! Mikazuki geri! :cool::banana:
    - 5 bunkai doing with turns - reacting just after a turn (mawate) with a block - it was 3rd bunkai from GKI, 2nd and 3rd from GKN, tora guchi and 8th? from Seiyunchin (the one with kagi tsuki - note to self).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
  6. Nachi

Tuesday 24.1.17:

18:30-20:00 - Advanced class:
    - Short warm-up
    - Stretching
    - Some belly exercises in pairs
    - Pads - one person holds a pad, three others run around him and when it's their turn, they do 2-4 techniques. It seemed the hits were quite strong and since a friend confirmed, I'd definitely click my teeth, before the last round which was my turn, I got pardoned from being a pad holder. Phew.
    - Similar system without pads - the middle person is a defender, the other attack with a front kick, middle person dodges with a block just as an insurance and again 2-4 techniques. Elbows or hooks were very often used here (without head contact), but every hit aimed at my head scared me, to be honest :D One touch to teeth and I'd be out. Luckily nothing happened.
    - Kata training - GKI, GKN, Saifa, Seiyunchin - always first slowly, then "full power". We repeated Seiyunching a few more times while sensei and the only other blackbelt went on with Shisochin and Sanseru katas. We then talked sensei into demonstrating Sepai - the kata she studies for her approaching grading. Wow, it looks very nice. And rather difficult.

7. Nachi

My First CrossFit Class:

(taken from another thread: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1075015037#post1075015037)

Wednesday 25.1.17:

10:00-11:00 - CrossFit - On Ramp:

The place was nice, awesomely close and only with few people there at this hour. Poeple seemed ok, no polite speech needed as I was told soon. I had a training one on one with a female instructor I spoke to on a phone. She was nice and friendly, we had some time to talk while exercising, too. Those are my impressions outside of actual training.

She said they do pay attention to good form, which is also the reason for this itroductory course. Health comes first. She also mentioned there's the competitive atmosphere in CrossFit, but it depends on each person whether they go with the flow or exercise for themselves.

Today we started with a 5 minute rowing (probably?), I went slightly over 1 km on a medium weight. Which was exactly nice to warm up. Then we did some upper body stretching with poles. The instructor commented I have one trapezius bigger than the other, so I only assured her that most of my musles on the right are bigger than on the left...
    We quickly went trough basic bodyweight exercises: push-ups, sit-ups (in a butterly position, though - seemed unusual), squats, burpees and lunges.
    As fir the push-ups she kept reminding me not to bend my back, which I tried, though I know I have this problem. She advised to put the hands further apart than my shoulder width, that might be better for me and it probably was. The burpees were with lying down (instead of a push-up), which I appreciated. My biggest problem was to not put my heels down right away when starting to go up. It may do with my calves being shortened or a bad habit. This problem followed me through most of the exrcises, though.
    We then tried jumping on a box. I was always first explained the technique, then tried a few times. Heel problem again, I struggled to land on heels, too, right away. Then just stepping up and down on the box. After that she gave me a 14 lbs (I think it was in lbs) medicine ball to squat down with and then throw up on a target. Heel problem again, I tended to lean on the tips.
    Then, my nemesis - horizontal bar and pull-ups. I knew this would be bad and it was. They explained I don't need tu pull up from a stationary position but swing my body back and forth and use the force. We practised the swinging, but I couldn't get it right - or rather the practise for it with head only, as my whole body started moving and I lost rhytm. We did that for a while, but I struugled wiht only keeping my grip on the bar. I have a weak grip, I mentioned that before and it was really bad now :D Then she got me a rubber band to help me pull up. I did a bit, but was struggling and hardly going all the way up. She got me a stronger band, but assured me most of the beginners need it. I already know this could be one of my greatest struggles.

After she gave me jump rope to try skipping. The basic I can do without many problems so we proceeded with a final 8 minut work-out, which didn't sound too bad, but left me breathing very hard. It was: 30x skip the rope, 5 burpees (I hate them), and 8x throw the medicin ball on the target. Repeat. I think in the 8 minutes I managed 3,5 rounds. And wasn't unhappy the end sounded :D
    We stretched a little at the end, the instructor observing and asking if I am hypermobile or what, though I am not sure why.
    We agreed again on next Wednesday and I should be trying some kettlebels and probably also barbell stuff. I am looking forward to that, though I am a bit worried how I'll fare :)

And to be honest, about the only think actually hurting after the training were the soles of my feet as I was alsways reminded to keep the weight or to put the heels down on the floor and keep them there... Not sure, why.

My impressions are great, though. I am somewhat dissapointed in myself, but that is not surprising. It was a nice start of a day, though. :)

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Thanks, mate! It does seem like a small thing-you can hardly notice the wrap unless you get up close to me to get a look. But when one can't move the left ring finger to any significant degree practising a martial art is out of the question. :bang: Especially in my case, as I am a classical Okinawan and Japanese weapons artist. :hat: I'm down to primarily running and ballet for cardio exercise now. :bang: I can only participate in about half of my modern dance class exercises. Kind of weird semester though, as my prof has a knee injury this time around. #injureddancerproblems

9. Nachi

Oh, that does sound like a very annoying injury. I can understand it can put you out op practise. No one really wants flying weapons across the class becasue you can't hold them well :D
    I saw your log here. I have no idea about the italian names of ballet stuff, but I was always impressed by the unusual combination of sports you do :)

10. matveimediaarts

The terms in ballet are French (despite being a Russian art in origin, just because the techniques were *formally* systemized first in France)-it seems like a small diff (and they are quite similar languages in many ways), but as you know, it doesn't take much to get Europeans in a tizzy at each other. ;) :D

11. Nachi

Oh, that's embarrassing. I used to learn French for whole six years! :D But I just had the feeling that ballet was Italian and never thought about the origin of names - like I had just blocked it in my mind, although now that you say that, they do look French XD Oh, so embarrassing. I appologize to all French, Italian and Russian people that might read this! :D

12. Nachi

For the past week I was rather busy and had to miss all the trainings. Kobudo was cancelled. I am sorry for that and the advanced karate class on Sunday. Unfortunately I really couldn't come :(

Wednesday 1.2.17:

8:00 - 9:00 - CrossFit - On Ramp - second training:

I was looking forward to today's CrossFit. Well, at least until the alarm clock rang :D

I was surprised the instructor remembered me and things about me since she has so many people there. She admitted, though, she made a note and my name "karate" and then knew :D

- Warm-up with a 1 km rowing (whould have been 5 mins., but I thought I needn't tire myself too much, so I slowed down towards the end and did 5:30 to make it a kilometer :)
    - Stretching

Today's main program was kettlebell work-out.
    I was given a smaller kettlebell - don't know the weight, but my guess would be 8 kg. Instructor said it's better to start light and I couldn't agree more :D Though she said if it felt too light, we can go heavier, but didn't in the end.
    I was explained the principles of the basic exercises - kettlebell deadlift, swing, clean (?) - I think), jerk and snatch (I finally know what those terms mean! :D). I tried a few times under the watchful eye of the instructor. Then lunges with kettlebels and farmer's walk. I had trouble with the lunges - I would swing my body (sort of) before going up. I could totally feel what it is that I do wrong, but couldn't get it right. Even with a lighter kettlebell and then without it I still could feel the tendency to do it andd the instroctor saw it as well. Hmmm :thinking:

Then came the work-out. Total of 12 minutes - 30 secs work, 30 secs rest - so a total of 6 mins work and 6 mins rest.
    During the working rounds I repeated:
    - Kettlebell swings - always did 19 or 20
    - Box jumps (the smaller side of the box, I still felt weird in it, focusing on my heals which made me stiff and the instructor commented that I don't seem to enjoy this thing)
    - Kettlebell snatches (alternating sides)
    - Burpees

- 3 reps of each
    This work-out left me quite exhausted. My head was just started spinning a little and I could feel out of breath a little. I came home on slightl wobbly legs, but feel nice now :)
    The group class was there two - about three guys. Their work-out looked much worse :D I am now not sure if I am brave enough to try that, too :D

Next Wednesday will be a barbell day for me :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  13. Nachi

Thursday 2.2.17:

I woke up with sore legs. I didn't have a feeling during yesterday's training, that I was working the legs in particular, but I do feel some odd muscles :)

Also couple of weeks has passed and I went to the dentist to have my broken tooth repaired. I paid for a fancy white filling, only to have it fall out just like that four hours later. :( So I am stuck with an even bigger hole than before, as the dentist drilled into it a little bit. I am starting to worry it is at such a bad place and wide and flat hole that nothing will hold in it :/ Or I will have to pay again and again only to have the filling fall out every time. I wonder if there is and other method? I will have to call the dentist on Monday, when he's back to work.
    But although the front teeth still hurt and I don't expect to be able to bite anything in a while, the X-ray showed there's nothing else broken, so I am quite happy about that :) The gum looks almost healed, too.

19:00- approximately 20:45? (maybe a bit more) - Beginner karate class:
    As we were told in advance, an IOGKF sensei from Argentina and his wife were spending this week in Prague on holiday and today they visited our dojo. Sensei helped with the children class and participated in our. Our sensei made a slightly more physically demanding training, which was great. I enjoy it a lot, but I have even more trouble walking now :D

- Junbi Undo
    - short Kihon on the spot
    - Short randori - 3 rounds
    - Hojo Undo - in pairs, one station - my guess would be at least three minutes
    - Kongoken - alternating with a partner, so resting between each exercise (though I at least did sumo squats to not just stand there) :) - 20 lifts up, 20x steering wheel, 15 push-ups (I decided not to take it too easy today, I need to get stronger, the CrossFit also giving me some motivation :D - and the fact that I missed a week's worth of trainings...)
    - Makiwara - alternating tsuki, palm strikes, shuto and haito uchi and ko uke, with the main focus on tsuki
    - Chi-ishi - had time to do most of the exercises I know or/and can do. Tried to always do 10 reps, but the hardest thing - sort of circling the chi-ishi around with the wrist I just couldn't do on the left side ofter 7th rep. Just couldn't. Partnered with yesterday's kettlebell exercises, this ended up with nice calluses appearing on my, oh too smooth palms :D
    - Wall-bars - 100 half sit-ups, 50 with raised legs, 20 legs up and down (lying on back), 20x side to side, 20x legs and butt up
    - Nigiri game - the ones with the slightly wider throat. I had to adjust my grip to be sure I don't drop it. Our nigiri game weight only a little, but the wide throat can be tricky for my short fingers :D Because of theat, toward the end of our second, shlightly modified kata, my right hand started shaking and my fingers kept sliding to one side. Experiencing the CrossFit training, I, yet again, decided it is about time to do something about my weak grip, so maybe these vases were a good thing for me that I should do more often...

Kote Kitae - sensei used the opportunity in the presence of the guest sensei. We, as I wrote, somehow, don't have many men in the dojo lately. A friend came today also because he just couldn't do it to sensei to leave him there with a bunch of girls :D And he was indeed the only male student, which, as expected, came as a surprise to the guest sensei, as most IOGKF dojos lack women :D
    We did several rounds, not too long, of various exercises - a lne of pairs, where one side moves after each exercise to the right. I saw sensei thinking in which line to put the guest and himself. When I saw I would eventually be partnered with my sensei, I sort of wanted to weep and swap places with my partner. But luckily sensei was nice today. Or I had a round with him when we simultaneosly palm strike each other's belly. And he wouldn't gain anything by hitting me too much, I guess :)
    - Renzoku kumite practise - solo and in pairs.
    - "Our" kata - for each the one needed for the next grading - Seiyunchin for me. First full power, then slowly. My legs shaking during the last cat stance when I should hold in it for a while and keep it low :)

- And a dinner with the sensei and his wife. Very nice people. Maybe I'll meet them once again in the weekend, if everything goes well.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  14. matveimediaarts

:D As well ye should, uncultured swine! :D (I joke, of course! *giggles obnoxiously*)

15. Nachi

Oh, I so hope to meet you face to face one day! :D
    cough, I am a master of surprise punches, cough....

16. Nachi

Sunday 5.2.17:

9:30-12:00 - Kobudo training:
    Well, 9:30 only in theory. I came late, sensei came even later :D So 9:45 would probably be more accurate :Angel:
    Before sensei arrived, to our surprise, our karate sensei appeared to be followed by the head sensei who was going to prepare her for the next planned grading. We don't usually have kobudo inthe morning, but had no idea senseis would come and vice versa. Luckily there were four of us and two of them, so we were able to share the dojo. Though we left the bo training for another time - that takes too much space. But we did some in the beginning:

- Bo Hojo Undo Ichi (first batch of basic techniques)
    - Bo Hojo Undo Ni (the rest of the techniques from the kata, that I struggle to do separately)
    - Sensei quickly demonstrated an older version of kumibo with me (we did it last time among many kumibo versions, so I mostly forgot, but somehow managed with sensei's guidance)
    - Friend forgot his sai, so we didn't have enough, therefore moved onto nunchaku - smaller weapon, less space needed. Sensei introduced us to the first half or Nunchaku Hojo Undo - there are 10 techniques altogether, we did 5. One technique was always a block and a strike - a different one each time.
    - After we took the two pairs of sai and the two most shabby staffs to do kumisai? Or well, the same thing we call kumibo with bo, but this was bo against sai. We didn't do the full thing, mostly blocks and then strikes, not combined and chained as they should be. We therefore practised Sai Hojo Undo - the basic techniques we learned.
    - Nice and varied training today. We didn't remember the nunchaku techniques so senesi demonstrated them so we could record him and use it as a reference later.

We somehow even talked about training at home, sensei asking if I already have tatami. We went to a cheap shop chain that has sports week starting tommorrow and sensei told me they will sell cheap kettlebells. Now I'll see if I'll be able to get up early and get some ^^
    I told him I just learned how to work-out with kettlebells as I found the CrossFit gym. Sensei seemed very interested, saying he wanted to find a CrossFit place to implement to his training. There probably aren't as many and he saw some on TV. Apparently the very gym I am going to. Sensei also doesn't find it too cheap, but seems interested, so maybe I'll see him around :)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  17. Nachi

On Sunday evening sensei invited us for a final meet with the Argentinian guests. In a restaurant in the center of the city. So, since the food there wouldn't be cheap, I ate beforehand. The evening was great, the guests were nice. Them and our sensei actually ordered dinner. I am not sure why sensei thought he could eat 750 g of chicken wings by himself (and he claims he's on diet!) :D He couldn't get past half, I suppose, so me and another friend have a nice dinner, too and for free XD And the Argentinian sensei also graced us with a piece of a potato pancake (not sure how else to discribe this specific food - edit: oh, and it is called a potato pancake!) and a nice sauce. :D Nice dinner, I'd say! I definitely ate my fill ...and didn't even have any pace left for the bread :)
    Anyway, I don't want to seem like I can't think about anything else other than food... the evening was great, wine was great and company awesome. Hopefully I'll see them again! :)

Monday 6.2.17:

Despite not getting too much sleep the last two nights I got up a bit earlier to go to the shop with sales of some sport stuff. Bought some clothes and especially the 10 kg kettlebell :) Now I hope I will actually be using it :D

18:30-20:00 - Beginner karate class:
    - Argentina-inspired game in pairs. Partners stand back to back, on signal, turn around and immediately show rock/paper/scissors. Loser does 5 burpees (though without the press up, so the easier variety), tie = 1 burpee for both. When one side loses 5 times altogether, they do 20 burpees. I tried to concentrate and was the first to win 5 times sometime after the tenth repetition, so I had time to watch others, especially my pitiful partner :evil: I have no idea how the last pair was able to go to 23 reps before one of them lost 5 times :D
    - Stretching
    - Kicking practise in pairs - variation on hiza, mae, mawashi, ushiro, yoko, kakato otoshi and mikazuki geri. Target being either hand or a specific part of the partner or a pad.
    - Bunkai Gekisai Dai Ichi done solo. 10x slowly, 10x fast with another technique added to the end (sensei-specified)
    - in pairs by grade all the bunkai for the highest kata we do for our next rading - Seiyunchin for me. We did one set for both sides and then went back from the last one to first, but only got to about a half. Than these bunkai solo, on one side only, fast.

Since I forgot to look for the cheap yoga/fitness MAP at the shop I went to, I wanted to visit the one very near to the dojo. A friend, whom I promised to drive home didn't mind and in the end, two others joined us, so like a bunch of snobs, we drove the 200-500 metres from dojo in 3 cars :D But I got my mat! :)

It was a nice day today and a lot of fun in the dojo - right from when I arrived until I left :)

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

19. Nachi

Hmmm, similar, but not exactly. It is something common in the Czech Republic and it looks like this: https://www.google.cz/search?q=bram...uPzRAhVJJpoKHYB7CIoQ_AUICCgB&biw=1231&bih=686
    We call it "bamborák". "Brambora" = potato.
    But maybe I will try your version someday! :)
    No barbecue, unfortunately. They were here for a few days and spent their time exploring time and so on. Maybe if we go to Argentina one day for a change... :D
    I probably should have written that the restaurant we ate at offered Czech food, no Argentinian specialties. I don't know what the sauce was, but it was mildly spicy and the Argentinian didn't like it much, so we got it as a dip for the chicken wings :D

... and by the way, chimichurri is kind of a funny name :D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Looks like... dictionary says "potatoe fritters".
    In German it would be "Reibekuchen", "reiben" = "grate", "Kuchen" = "cake" or "Reibeplätzchen", "Plätzchen" = "cookie", which really makes it very stupid names, now that I think of it :thinking: .

It's still made out of potatoes, despite the stupid name.