Nachi's Log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Nachi, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Sunday 21st May

IOGKF INTERNATIONAL SPRING GASSHUKU IN PRAGUE, day 3
    Training started at 9 am and this time we didn't need to come mcuh earlier.
    We had the first blok together for all grades. The Junbi Undo and kihon was led by sensei Jorge Monteiro.
    Then we split into the same groups as yesterday, meaning we were in the one for 1st to 3rd dan. It seemed that people would left the front line to us, girls, which was very nice and I took the opportunity.

First block - sensei Roy Flatt
    Sensei Roy taught us about Sanchin and Tensho katas. We started with Sanchin, tried a couple of times and then sensei explained some details that might usually be explained in a more abstract way, but he detailed out mechanics of the techniques in the kata. Some things were done differently then I was taught by my sensei, so I asked sensei Roy abotu this later (at dinner) and found out there were several ways to do this. Sensei Roy didn't hesitate to call sensei Ernie over to ask him how he was doing it and he did it the same way we do (he is the main sensei of my sensei, after all), and other sensei's seemed to have their versions as well. Ok, so no need to try to change anything. Good :)
    Later in this block, since I was in the front row, sensei Roy called me up as his partner to demonstrate the next exercise of pushing the hands in the technique correctly. Basically I was told to push my hands outward or downward against sensei as hard as I could. And I did, until I started shaking from all the effort :) Sensei would then check if I can keep my tanden tight at will even during kata or even talking. So he had me narrate what I did the previous evening, without relaxing my tanden. I couldn't do it, of course, so sensei kept reminding me, by pushing against it, but it was jsut too tough. We then tried these exercises in pairs, I paired up with Sett this time.
    Later we worked on Tensho and sensei again told us several details, some of which I may have heard, but wasn't sure about the exact way they should be, so this was very nice. This was an awesome block. I am always hungry for informative ones like this, detailing out katas, and Sanchin and Tensho are the ones I always love to learn more about. There is work to do...

Second block - sensei Jorge Monteiro
    With all the pushing hands in different ways against a partner, with all our might, and added to yesterday's training, our shoulders were pretty exhausted by now. When we were called back to the groups after the break, just as we found our spots, I told Sett jokingly: "Wow, imagine sensei would come and had us do something tough for shoulders, like kakie!" I swear it was two seconds later when I turned to sensei as he asked us: "So how about we do kakie today?" Sett and I couldn't help but laugh. To sensei's confusion. We explained and apologized later, though.
    We did the most typical kakie, but sensei told us not to go too strong and relax a bit, as well as several variations. One was the cirlcling one, which we also do in taiji. Sensei told us to keep it soft - very Ju and more White Crane than karate. Yay, more Taiji! :D Sensei told me I was doing it too hard, though, anyway. I tried my best to balance how strong to do it, but still keep the structure and push from my back leg. Not sure if I was supposed to do that, though. We also tried a type of kakie I hadn't tried before - the most usual one, but with both hands and in a strange way. I actually relly enjoyed this, I felt, at least against Sett, who is taller, that I could push from the legs nicely up, using my shole body and it actually felt very different to the one-handed combination, which we tried several versions of, too. One of the mroe fun was was doing kakie only standing on one leg. I've never tried that before. Thanks to taiji I lately feel very stable when it comes to standing on one leg, so I was eager to try. I was doing well in not letting my other foot tough the ground, but I had to twist my body in various ways and I also had an advantage with a lower center of gravity. Unfortunately, when I pushed hard and Sett had to hop backwards, he was suddenly too far and I had my center of gravity too much to the front, so I basically leaned on him and couldn't get back straght up. This was surely just and exercise for fun, but I really liked it! I'll make sure to try again :)
    Then we also did some techniques - locks from kakie. I think we only had time for two, unfortunately. The block was over too quickly. It was a great one, too. Kakie is another block I am always looking forward to and this one was not very typical, in a very good way.

Third block - sensei Ernie Molyneux
    Today's training was to take only 4 hours, not 5 like yesterday, which meant this was our final block. Unfortunately. And it was even shortened so we could have last 20 mins together.
    Sensei Ernie therefore didn't teach us anyhting too sophisticated, but brought some partner drills for the three basic attacks - jodan, chudan, gedan. Surprisingly simple combinations, considering they were from sensei Ernie's head :)
    Sensei Ernie, like others often called up partners they knew to demonstrate on. So I didn't react at first when sensei beckoned to me as I wasn't expecting it at all. But he asked again, so I quickly got up. I was used as an attacker for one combination in groups of three along with another guy and then later with a friend of mine. It is always interesting to try something with senseis as senior as sensei Ernie. You could see the control, speed, force etc. first hand. Sensei wouldn't be smashing my hands, of course, but when blocking with his forearms, I could indeed feel his were as hard as rock. Wow. And I was ready with my belly tightened when receiving a counter. Hoping not to embarass myself whatever comes my way. But agains, sensei wasn't going hard. It is just that I never know how high sensei's expectations of people my level would be :D

Last session for everyone - sensei Roy Flatt, sensei Jorge Monteiro
    Sometimes at gasshukus like this, the last 10-20 mins would be everyone doing kihon or some work-out together, squeezing the last bits of energy out of us. And today was just like that, sensei Roy being in charge. We did kihon, moving around - sayu, usually combinations of block and counter while steping forward, or backward, then kicks - only hiza (I think), mae and mawashi geri, nothing too complicated, but sensei had us do combination of two kicks in a row as fast as we could. I tried to keep my legs relaxed for it and make the kicks sharp and quick, but... I quickly pulled a muscle under my left knee - just as I did a week or two ago in the dojo. Luckily it wasn't too bad, so I was just more careful on the left side for a while. But then again, kicks like mae geri especially aren't the best for my few years old injury - a hamstring tear on the right side. So after a while, I could feel a tiny bit of pain there, too, but nothing too bad at all.
    When we were done we finished with a few dozen punches standing in shiko dachi and shouting kiaia as if our lives (or the end of this ordeal to be more precise) depended on it. :) Sensei didn't torture us for much longer. We were soaking wet with sweat and sensei Monteiro took over and did some stretching with us, which I appreciated. I really did need to stretch after all this :)

4 hours, 1150 kcal.

In the final thanks and talk by our sensei, who organized this gasshuku, he actually called us to the front with thanks for help with the organization. The people called were our former sensei who took care of the finances and the registration desk, Sett and I. Somehow I didn't feel like I participated that much (same as Sett), but we were surprised we were two of the four people of the main team, apparently. I guess the heavy lifting was done by sensie himself. I felt bad for not helping more, but he never delegated more responsibilities to us and did everything he could by himself.
    We mostly only made a promotional video and the T-shirt design. I guess it turnes out well, I heard some of the teaching senseis actually took one or a few more for either tehmselves or as gifts, which was so nice to hear! :)

The gasshuku ended up very well. We had 4 hachidans teaching over 120 people from Austria, Canada, Denmark, England, France, Germany, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Slovakia and the Czech Republic. I met old friend and made new ones and had fun. It is so nice to see familar places from different countries at events like this.
    I was really looking forward to this event and rightly so. Now that is over, I will be looking forward to a September gasshuku in Slovakia :) Too bad it's still several months ago.

When the training was over, we picked all the things we left there, left-over water bottles, the huge transparent, directional arrows and other small things. A group of the people halping with organization put the a couple of mats on the concrete in the parking lot and someone brought the leftovers from yesterday's Sayonara party - chunks of pork, pasta salad, shnitzels, cookies, etc., and this took care of lunch for several people. Which was nice, no need to look for something to eat elsewhere :)
    We chatted a bit and then took some things to drop at our dojo.

In the evening we met up with our sensei and the guest senseis for a dinner on a boat on the river. It's been such a long time since I've last went on this type of trip :) It was nice, we got to chat with senseis some more. About karate, their experiences, their dojos, etc. It was very nice.

Monday 22nd May
    Sensei had something urgent and wasn't able to spend time with senseis and thus he asked Sett and I again, if we could take them someplace nice. We brought them for a short walk at Vyšehrad, which is a very nice place and isn't in the main tourist area. We run into some trouble with getting lunch there, but although we could have done better, it worked out in the end. We learned some interesting things from senseis. They also asked us if we aren't going to start our own dojo, to spread karate more. It did cross my mind, but that's about it. I have several worries about that, especially about how much responsibility it is being there for at least a couple of classes a week without fail and also the fact that I simply don't feel like I know enough. Sensei didn't think it was a problem and encouraged us to think about it. Well,... maybe..., maybe one day.
    After lunch we took two senseis to the airport and joined the remaining two and our sensei for a glass of wine after dinner and had fun.

Tuesday 23rd May
    Sensei Henrik left very eaarly in the morning, taken to the airport by our sensei. We met sensei Jorge and his son later in the morning, when our sensei had to leave, so we only took them for lunch and chatted again, then took them to the airport as well.

These few days made for a very pleasant and a great opportunity for me to be able to casually chat and get to know a bit the IOGKF executive committe. Just like that.
    Even those of them I haven't known personally till now, were very friendly and very nice to be around. Even surprisingly so. They all seemed like very humble people doing their best to preserve and spread traditional karate with the best interests. This is just how I would hope people at the top of a traditional martial arts organization would be. And with Nakamura-sensei as the chief instructor, I think the IOGKF is in good hands and taking a good direction, despite the recent, very unfortunatee split from its founder and several senior instructors; and subsequent changes.

axelb likes this.
  2. Nachi

Tuesday, May 23

Taiji fan
    We repeated the form several times throughout the class and reviewed the last several moves. People tend to miss like two weeks and each class, the latest stuff needs to be re-explained. We worked on the White Crane spreads its wings and Oblique walking, mostly. Those are both rather complicated moves for those who haven't learned it in Laojia Yilu.

Taiji sword and broadsword
    two sword forms for a warm-up and we worked on one move the teacher thought we could work on a bit. For half an hour we practiced the broadsword form. We only reviewed it and worked on some nice detailes, and did the - nearly whole form a few times. Oh, wow, the broadsword form is really harsh on the legs...
    We practiced the jumps that can (and should) be done in the last two moves we've learned instead of just steps. I have no trouble with the jumps, but when I did jump, I ended up being late with my arms and it felt like I was just swishing them around then, disconnected from teh body. But the teacher, as always, had a tip to eliminate that. :) At least a bit. I will have to work it out a little.

Taiji - Laojia Erlu
    Wuju, LAojia Yilu and Laojia Erlu for a warm-up. I wasn't really exhausted today, but somehow worn out, after the gasshuku and taking senseis around, and I wasn't particularly energetic. We worked on a part of the Cannon Fist form somewhere in the middle. the teacher wanted us to improve mechanics of some turns, strikes, etc., and generally apply that type of principle everywhere. It was a very useful class.

I stretched then and wanted to do some work back home and I was just lazy today, so I left hald an hour earlier than planned.

3. Nachi

Wednesday, May 24

Taiji - fan and double fan
    I came slightly late, but everyone was just standing around, so I started the class with two fan forms.
    Later the teacher arrived and we worked on part of the form before moving to the double fan one. We learned 4 new moves last time (they were basically the same as the single fan, except for, you know, one has to manipulate two).
    However there was a lot to work on in the moves we already knew and the first of the 4 new. The teacher asked if we wanted to go through the remaining three briefly. I thought if would be nice since the teacher had already taught us, but the rest was against. So te teacher left for a while and let us practice the turn - the newest form we'd practice today. A couple of friends had questions. And asked me. I did my best to help them figure the move out, but… some things were based mostly on what I just figured out in this mostly solo practice…
    The teacher is making plans for all the courses for the summer and the next season in September. For this class he told us he'd like to move the class to Tursday, next to the fan class I am teaching. Ahh, it looks like I won't be able to attend, then, but the teacher had reasons for it. Maybe I'll be able to learn during the two summer seminars. That would be nice.

Taiji - 33 moves
    People went outside for the warm up, but the teacher caught me to talk. He wanted to discuss a bit about the fan course I am teaching.
    And also that in July and August he'd only be here every other week, and he asked me if I could help him with the Wednesday fan and double fan class. I suppose we can always practice what we had learned the week before. But the teacher's idea was that he would teach me the form in advance - privately on Wednesday evenings for half an hour or so in June when we are both able to come, which would probably be only like 3 classes, and he'd teach me the rest in the summer seminars, so I can teach the rest of the group when he's not here.
    That was a very nice offer and a good opportunity for me to learn! Of course I would not refuse the teacher giving me a bit of his time like this, especially I won't be able to go to this class since September. The teacher said that unfortunately those classes would clash indeed, but it shouldn't matter as I can learn the double fan form whenever I wanted. I am not sure what he meant since I don't have private classes with him and I unfortunately can't attend too many of the seminars. But he just solved that for me, so I am happy ^^

When the people returned from the warm-up, we did the form twice and then worked on the last move. We were trying just the silk reeling within it and to do the right move with the hand, I could not match it well with my hips and body and I could tell I was losing the proper structure in the middle. But the teacher always tell me to move the hand in a bigger circle and I couldn't get it to work. So I asked. The teacher checked on me and told me I was losing my structure and turned in the spine and thus disconnected the lower and upper body. Yep, I could tell, but didn't know what to do about it. But the teacher saw where my mistake came from easily, told me to turn the hand around faster and let me try with a pressure - against a push. He gave me his hand to grab. My god, his hand us huge! I couldn't even grab it, only the tips of my fingers would reach to try to wrap around! Some paws he has. Anyway, he grabbed me and pushed and I was able to correct the problem right away. Not sure hiw I'll do next time without the pressure, though.

Taiji - 26 moves
    I went outside to take the warm-up. When we finished, none of the teachers arrived, yet, so I sent the more advanced group inside, where there possibly was one, or the junior instructor could go through the form with the group. I stayed with the less advanced one. They just learned the five moves, so, without knowing what they would practice today, it was safe to start with 5 moves to four directions. The teacher arrived in the meanwhile, so I left to practice with the more advanced group, where I came just for the next form from the beginning.
    We did their 25 moves twice and the teacher would start teaching the next one - Cloud Hands and let me practice with the class for a while. This is a difficult one, after all. I took it as my own practice and focused on the main points the teacher just mentioned. After a few rounds I could hopefully do a bit better.

Taiji - 7 moves
    I first stretched by myself and joined the class in the middle to practice White Crane Spreads its Wings and Oblique walking.
    I was put it the front in a bit and the teacher also decided to demontrate the oblique posture on me. I did as I was told. However, the teacher wanted to pull my upper body slightly back, apparently, but decided to do so, although very gently and obviously with the best intentions… by my hair. Lol. I am not sure if he even understood why everyone was laughing… :D

Frodocious likes this.
  4. Nachi

Thursday, May 25

Karate
    The weather was nice and we went to practice outside. I would not bring my white gi if I had expected that, but... sensei at least ommitted the kneeling in the etiquette so we wouldn't get our gis dirty.
    We did Sanchin kata once and twice more in an exercise in pairs.

We briefly worked on our kata for the next grading, which we did 5x, which was Sepai for me. I also got a couple of corrections about position of feet or hands. Which was nice :)

Then sensei and the two of us split the class into three groups to work on the kata everyone needed for the next grading and its bunkai. I taught Gekisai Dai Ichi, where I had three people, two of whom were teenagers. Probably. Potentially a bit younger. I gave everyone several corrections in the kata dn awe managed to do all the 5 bunkai, although everyone had time to try only a few times.

One Sanchin kata to end the class.

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  5. Nachi

Friday - rest day

Saturday
    Spent the day gardening and doing chores.

Sunday, May 28

Kettlebell gym - my 17th class here
    I couldn't make it last week, the couple of weeks before I went another day and before I couldn't make it, either. Meaning, I haven't seen my usual instructor for a long time. I don't have a personal plan on how to progress, unlike most, I guess, so on the classes with another instructor, I was mostly just repeating what I have been doing before, not making much progress when it comes to difficulty, weight, etc. Except for the TGU, where I went to do all 5 reps per side with the same weight (20 kg) and repeated that for the next one of two classes, as I am not sure how long to wait before just trying out new weight. The instructor told me that in the beginning, weights can progress fast, but then I may need some time to make the step from 16 to 20 kg, or later from 20 to 24. Anyway, I've been looking forward to getting her to check me and ask for advice. But, she wasn't there today, either, in her stead there was the heads instructor. And also fewer people than in the morning classes, so I decided to go ask him for advice.

We did some stretching and mobility exercises in the beginning, some of which I've never done before.
    Then we all did our thing, so I started with the usual inicial exercises with 14 kg as usual. As for the pull-over, it felt easier than usual. I was able to do 10 reps no problem today (sometimes I felt like stop, shake my wrists out quickly and continue), and I was able to tough or even lay my hands/fingers on the floor. Typically, my left shoulder felt like snapping at that point if I did it without care, but not today, it felt stable, no problem.

TGU
    I went to ask the instructor about how to progress. I have been doing 5x 20 kg per side for the last 2 classes. If he says I should work on it more, no problem at all, it is not too easy, after all. But I wanted to make sure. I asked when to progress when I have managed to do all 5 reps with the new weight. He said as soon as possible, if I felt like it and showed me a progression diagram on how to add reps from 8 to 16 kg, which I have been doing, generally, just wasn't sure how long to take between the next weight. He told me that for the beginners, the progress should be relatively fast and if I can, I should go for the next heavier one. "What if I smash my face with it, though?" He asked what weight we're talking about. "Oh, 20? So you're not really a beginner, then, are you?" Well, I don't know how this would be judged. I would say technique-wise, I am, but... As he also asked, I have never held the 24 kg kettlebell for TGU, so I didn't really know what to expect.
    He explained to me several possible progressions. I can introduce 24 kg bell first as the second rep. To try to only do half TGU with it, or a full one. Or, possible, only use the 20 kg one, but do 2 reps on one side without putting the weight down, that would increase the difficulty. I wasn't sure what to do, I was a bit scared of the heavier bell, but the instructor offered to spot me, be ready to help. Which would definitely help, at least mentally.
    Therefore I started with 1 rep with 20 kg per side and then tried the 24 kg. Getting my torso up off the floor is the first step and I potentially didn't need to go further. The thing is, though, that this step is, by far, the most difficult out of the whole TGU. So when I got past it with my leg lifting off the floor, which I guess shouldn't be, but happens to me sometimes, I finished the TGU whole. The rest didn't feel overwhelming anymore and I felt I was able to keep the kettlebell steady and it went quite well, I'd say. For the left side it was the same. The instructor said it is good to make use of him since he's here today. The usual Sunday instructor is a - no doubt - very strong, but a short and tiny woman. If it came to it, catching the 24 kg bell in outstretched arms could be impossible for her with her stature and I might be better off just having space around and tossing the bell if in trouble. While this instructor is a very tall, jacked guy, he'd catch this kind of weight like it was nothing. He's also more than a head taller than me, so even if I have the bell overhead, he'd be able to grab it comfortbaly. He was right, I did feel relaxed with him being there, indeed.
    Than the instructor gave me several options for the 3rd round. I felt like the 24 kg wasn't as hard as I was worried, and since the he talked to me for maybe a couple of minutes and thus I got ample rest, I went for another round with the 24 kg and did one more for both sides.
    As for the 4th round, I thought I wouldn't push it in the first class with the new weight, and the instructor didn't want me to, either, but he asked if I wanted to try to do the two reps without putting the bell down, with the 20 kg, he can stay and watch over me still. I didn't want to make him stand by me for so long since there were other people, but he said it was fine, but if I felt ok, he won't stand over me, but he said he'll be close. I started with the right hand and suddenly the 20 kg felt relatively light, so I pushed up uselessly hard. Also I might have been a bit careless, as my arm swayed a bit. I was able to stop it, but thought I'd better be more careful. After finishing one rep, I let the kettlebell down to my shoulder, floor pressed it up again (with both arms) and was about to go for the next round, when I heard the instructor: "No, you don't have to get it all the way down! The press would rob you of your strenght uselessly, there was no need to do that." Ah, say it sooner! Anyway I finished that and for the left side, since I did with the right, I repeated the same.

Deadlift and horizontal bar
    I went to ask the isntructor again, rather generally, about what to do with the exercises, I haven't been checked on on a while, wasn'T sure what to do on the horizontal bar, as I wasn't confident and already tried several types of exercises. And I kind of felt like I would like to add weight for my deadlift, but was a bit worried to ask that directly. So I got a talk about how exericsess need to be repeated, it is not about always learning a new one, that wasn't their phylosophy. Yeah, so my careful and very general question led to misunderstanding. So I asked about the deadlift weight directly. I have been using the 48 kg kettlebell for a while now and it simply didn't feel challenging. They have two heavier ketlebells there, a 56 kg one and a 68 kg. And so, I had my sight set on the 56 one.
    The isntructor understood and told me as for the progress, in my case he would advice to set my goal on deadlifting the 68 kg one. The older students are then using barbells, so I guess before potentially moving that that in the future. That is a nice goal for me. So I was about to go for the 56 kg one today. Butthe instructor said that he would say, deadlifting the 56 kg bell was at the level of 20 kg TGU in a rough estimate. I should perhaps try to just lift the heavier one once or just get feel for the weight, even if I can't lift it. Same as with for TGU he adviced mo to perhaps try just pressing the 28 kg one, to slowly get familar with the weight and not be afraid of it when the time comes to wokr with that weight. He said to try the 68 kg for the deadlift first, then, and then maybe use the 56 kg or whatever I felt like.
    I took the 68 kg bell then, The biggest challenge, would, again, be the first part - taking it from by the wall to a place I can do the deadlifts at. I hadn't had huge ambition, I wanted to move it only like 1,5 m away from the wall. I did and I tried the first rep. I didn't really think I wouldn't be able to lift it at all, but I wasn't really sure how heavy it was. I did the 5 reps of the first round. This kettlebell is significantly heavier than the 48 kg, but not overwhelmingly so. Also it is bigger, so the handle is actually higher, making the whole lift shorter and easier. I felt good iwth this weight, I was able to work on the technique. I could feel how I could drive my feet (heels) into the floor, through my shins and move the hips up. This was good. Only my fingers were slipping a bit in the 4th and 5th rep.
    After each rep, as told, I did the high hand on the horizontal bar - chin above bar, for around 10 s and then lowered myself slowly - probably for 6-7 s. The isntructor told me to do this. If I could hold up for 10 s or more, do 1 rep, if I could manage maybe 5 s or less, do two. I thought I wouldn't be able to do 10, but I was, maybe also because of the fear or having to do it twice, otherwise :D
    The instructor came to check on me in my third round. He said for the deadlifts my technique was sound, which was the feedback I wanted. He told me I can finish with the 56 kg one if I wanted, or keep this one, but since you already did the heavy TGU today, you can take it easy. Whatever you feel like.. Hm, I didn't know what I felt like. He saw my hesitation and asked: "You need me to tell you which weight to use, right?" Yeah. So he told me to take the 56 kg one. So I was ablout to go for it, but realised I didn't really want to and it apparently showed, so: "You want to keep this one, don't you?" Yeah :D I only have two more rounds to go, after all. It turned out he thought I have probably just started maybe, so he let me finish with this weight. - 5 rounds or 5 reps.
    I also managed to keep my times the same on the horizontal bar. Just that the heavier deadlifts and the horizontla bar and by skin on the palms was hurting again. The instrucotor had a good advice on how to grip the bar and the kettlebell during swings to avoid tearing my skin off again. Which was to grip it more toward the fingers, not deep in the palm, where the grip would slip anyway, and pinch the skin. He said my grip would feel weaker that way, initially, but it whoudl improve in no time. I indeed felt like with my short and weak fingers, I I wouldn't be able to keep the grip, but for the bar I was.

Double-kettlebell squats and push-ups
    I had spent some time getting lectured (in a good way) by the instructor and so I didn't have much time left before the swings, I only did 3 rounds of 5 squats with 2x16 kg an 5 floor push-ups. I knew I didn't have much time, so I skipped the step and did normal push-ups. I did my best to focus hard on the technique.

10 min swings EMOM
    I took my usual 28 kg bell. Despite listening to the instructor's advice abotu the grip to prevent tearing off skin, I found it difficult to keep my grip that high on the palm and the kettlebell was slipping, so I would grip it differently nad my palm - calluses - were really hurting again. So I again compromised my technique a tiny bit in the last few reps...
    Then the instrucotr asked about who knew how to do one-arm swings. Only maybe a couple of people did. He said our technique was sound, why not try something new. Ah, I didn't need that today.
    For the last 4 rounds, he had us take a kettlebell 4 kg lighter, grip it with only one hand for the one round of 10 swings, and the other hand over the first - so it wasn't exactly a one-arm swing, but it was a practice for it. I tried two swings, but my skin hurt so badly that I had to put it down. The isntructor saw ans asked if it was heavy, he didn't realise what weight I would have. It wasn't so heavy. Or it was, but the skin was the only problem. I tried again, changed the grip more towards the fingers and was able to finish, but only by actually gripping hte kettlebell more by the upper hand rather than the one that should be gripping it. We were told to try to ease our grip with the upper hand if we felt like it, but there was no way I would. :D I finished the four rounds like this, my skin didn not tear today, but it did hurt. This is so annoying.

I had to leave 10 mins earlier today, so I skipped the final stretching.
    I felt good after today's class. For the past few weeks, as I haven't had much guidance and was jsut repeating whatever, I felt like I was stagnating a bit. Today, to balance it out, I skipped a step or two for the TGUs and skipped a weight step for the deadlifts. I felt nice and energetic after this work-out :)

axelb and Frodocious like this.
  6. Nachi

Monday, May 29

Karate Kids
    They built a new tram railway right to the dojo. It was opened a couple of days ago and I wanted to try, but apparently, not all trams continued the few stops and long story short, I ended up being late by 10 mins or so...
    But Sett was already doing warm-up with the kids. After that, we did a few more fun bits, then junbi undo, then simple kihon ido. I had lost my grading book - with the list of stuff needed for each kyu grade. And I found it by a complete chance today! So I brought it wwith me to make use of :)

Karate adults (2 hours)
    We are going to hold classes outside, most likey, starting in June, so today we made use of the dojo and did Hojo Undo. Even though both Sett and I were sore from yesterday. Two step ups in weight in the kettlebell gym and some new exercises and I felt it. Although only a littel. I expected worse, to be honest. And is's been quite long since last time we did hojo undo. But not before we finished our usual 3 Sanchin katas.
    We planned to do kata and also maybe kihon ido after hojo undo, but I thought (alse as there weren't the usual squad of rather young students) that we could do a class full of the traditional karate stuff since we had already started with Sanchin and Hojo Undo. So indeed we continued with Kote Kitae - iron body conditioning and then several types of kakie done not to practice techniques but as a workout. Only a one simple technique at the end of the class. I really love classes like these :)

Frodocious likes this.
  7. Nachi

Tuesday, May 30

Taiji fan - teaching
    As we agreed with the teacher, I would slow down the teaching pace now that summer is coming and not everyone can make it to every class. I would incorporate more breath work in the classes and more about silk reeling. I started with that today, we, unlike in usual, non-weapon, classes, started with wuji meditation. Some people only come to this class, so they've never done it before and it was up to me to explain. I wasn't prepared to explain that, but it didn't seem that hard, luckily. I hope I didn't forget anything important.
    Then we practiced the form, I told how to breath in it, how to sync breath with the movement, etc., and let eeryone try to just practice slowly, in the rhytm of the breath. Then we worked on the last few moves, especially the last two. I asked if anybody had any questions, and a friend had about the move with three steps forward. Not a specific one, but asked me to explain. So we worked on that for a while, I used the chance and also explained about how the hips would move, etc. Although obviously, it would be hard to do just like that. But we'll spend more time working with the hips, so I suppose it is time to give those who didn't know, an idea.

Taiji - sword and broadsword
    I wanted to go drink and so, but the sword group was waiting, no one willing to take the lead and they called on me. Ah, well, fine. I'll go to the bathroom later...
    We did three sword forms and the teacher wantched the last and gave us some corrections and had us practice some parts. When we ere about to conclude this part of the class with one more form, he pointed at me across the room: "And you! I don't know what you've been thinking about in the last form, but it wasn't the sword! You'd better be one mind, one body." Or something along those lines :oops: Too bad I didn't even remember what I was thinking about :D
    Then we took broadswords and worked on the whole form, then the last few moves and finally added a new one in the last 3 mins or so. And did the whole form again. Ouch, my thighs. I guess I am still weak, but this form is really painful when I try to do it properly.

Taiji - Cannon Fist form
    One Laojia Yilu and one Laojia Erlu (the Cannon Fist form). The teacher asked, looking at me, which move we ended at when going through the form again, bit by bit. I wasn't sure if it was last time, but once we finished right before Wrapping Firecrackers and the teacher said we'd need a full class to work on this one. And he had us try first. Then he called me forward to demonstrate, he'd explain on me. I was, ehm, a bit nervous, as I wasn't sure if he picked me because I did well, or because I did not :D He first demosntrated how the hips worked, I apparently got that right, even the fajin, sort off, but he said I started the fajin too late and my whole movement was too big. He urged me to make it smaller, smaller and smaller still. It was hard and I sacrificed shifting weight for it, and still couldn't do it well enough. We had some time to try it, but I felt like I was only doing worse and worse.
    Then we tried all the four fajins as we do them in the form - actually turning around 90° with each jump in between them. I tend to try doing these rather fast, and when practicing iwth the group, I end up very ahead, time-wise, as people wouldn't jump and would try to slowly figure out the mechanics. But today the teacher said to practice the mechanics separately, not witthin the form, or to practice this type of thing in Laojia Yilu, but here, do it fast! And he did it with us to set the tempo. On the second try, when I got what he wanted us to do, I even finished sooner than him :cool: It meaned I only did more mistakes, though :D But on the other hand, I think I improved my jumps in between - figured out how to do them fast and dynamic :)

Taiji - 14 moves
    I stretched while the class was doing silk reeling and joined the 14 moves practice. We practiced them over and over. And at the end we worked on the last 4 moves, and practiced them without hands, which was tricky. I was lucky I knew the moves rather well and had not just learned them like most. Who looked around in confusion from time to time. It was a nice relaxed practice to conclude my taiji evening today :)

Frodocious likes this.
  8. Nachi

Wednesday, May 31

Taiji fan & double fan
    We started the class with two fan forms, the teacher joined us for the second, so I copied, what I could :) Then we worked on parts of it in more detail and took the double fans rather soon today.
    With those, we again practiced what we knew and added a few moves the teacher had shown us before, and are basically the same as in the single fan form. So not difficult to remember. Still, when the teacher left us to practice by ourselves, the moment he stepped out of the door, a couple of friends asked me how to do this and that, to demonstrate again and help them. I am starting to think some people are actually afraid of the teacher. It’s not like I know more about the form then they do. But I did my best to help, along with little Meimei, who is actually learning the double fan form also on Monday and/or Tuesday and is a bit ahead.

Taiji - 33 moves - kicks
    We did the silk reeling outside on the terrace. I thought it may not be so hot there, but the sun was shining and it was even hotter...
    A friend - a junior instructor led the warm-up, and I focused on figuring out the silk reeling. I still, still can’t do it well. I think I did make a bit of a progress today, though.
    The more advanced group then headed inside for more space. We did all the 33 moves, along with the teacher, again, and then only reviewed the ending. Today we spent time with the couple of the first kicks. I got a correction, got a question answered as I had a place that didn’t work well and wasn’t sure if my solution was correct. It would make sense that it was, but I thought I’d better ask.
    For the last 10 mins or so we did some stretching. This group would be learning new stuff slowly, so it can be merged with the next class which is at the 26th move in September. So we’ll be stretching and so to improve the kicks.

Taiji - 26 moves
    Again warm-up outside, it wasn’t so hot anymore, it was my turn to go to the front. I still did my best to focus on my technique, though. Althought I would have to count the reps, too.
    Back inside we did the 26 moves nad worked on the last - Cloud Hands. The teacher explained in a different way and had us try an exercise in pairs I haven’t done before, to figure out how the weight shifts, how the structure should be. It was a simple exercise, but it definitely made me understand better. :)
    The teacher was ... himself today. When he returned after letting us practice for a bit, he, with a very warm smile said: "Good job! When I looked from afar and from the corner of my eye, it almost looked correct! nobody went the wrong direction or anything." :D Ahahaha, I asked him later if he had ever considered being a motivational speaker :D He answered: "Well, people do ask me sometimes if I could praise them more." :D :D :D
    Apparently the time was up, but the second teacher took the next class outside again and our teacher continued drilling us since we apparently need additional time...

Taiji - 7 moves
    Since the main gym was empty (with the exception of one friend), I thought if I was quick, I may be able to do one Laojia Yilu while the rest was silk-reeling. I would normally stretch, but we had already stretched in the class before.
    I managed to do one and even one Laojia Erlu :) I still have trouble remembering some parts. I should practice more.
    I then joined the class practicing 7 moves. Especially the last two. In the last 15 mins we went outside again, to meditate. It was nice there, it was already cooler and it was rather comfortable.

Taiji - private doble fan class, a short one
    The teacher would be away just around every other week in June, July and August. And he’ll therefore need some assistance with teaching the classes. And he is the only one who knows the double-fan form. Or has a resource to learn it. Therefore he decided he’d teach me a bit faster so I could teach the rest. Either after Wednesday classes, but mostly at the summer seminar. We had a first session today. He was, however, caught by people with questions for at least 10 mins, and I waited. I was half expecting he’d call our session off as he’d be tired and he did seem like he half wanted to, but he said we need to do this. So he showed me the next couple of moves once and: "Clear? Now you do it." :D Dang. I tried, but obviously I did a few mistakes, so he first tried to correct me verbally, then had to show me again. And later showed me the next move. Not the simplest one, I’d say, taken originally from the double-broadsword form and as I was tired, also, I had some trouble following it. When I did the teacher said: Yep, and the steps there are a turning jump. I don’t think I had done this type of jump before, and the teacher seemed too lazy to demostrate, but since it shouldn’t be too different from the other jumps, I had to think for a bit where the weight hsould be and which leg to jump up from, but I figured it out well on second try. Once I was able to do it, though slowly and with much thinking, we ended the sission. Now I’d better not forget it till I get home and write it down and try it again. If I at least remember roughly, I should be able to figure it out later, but I’ll need to practice in our upcoming karate training camp in Croatia, it seems.

I arrived on my little motorbike today, which allowed me to get home fast, but it was still late and I got to bed after midnight, tired after 4,5 hour of training.
    But I am still going to try to get up early to make it to the morning kettlebell class since I won’t make it this Sunday...

Frodocious likes this.
  9. Nachi

Thursday, June 1st

I nearly slept over, but woke up on the third alarm. 40 mins before the class started, and really hungry, despite having dinner just before sleep yesterday. But I made it!

Morning kettlebell class
    On Sunday we had the head instructor stand in and I asked it I could come today to the morning class as I will be away. He wasn’t too happy I want to come to this class in particular as there are quite a lot of people, but ok, but I should be considering it an exception this time. I don’t unfortunately, have much of a chance to make it to a different one. But when I came last time, the morning instructor was very welcoming and told me to come again. So I didn’t mind too much. What was my surprise when I saw the head instructor there today again! Good think I asked him before, phew.
    I thought I’d do my best not to take up much space and be in anyone’s way. So after the inicial mobility and stretching, I waited for everyone to pick up their kettlebells for a warm-up, as I know there aren’t that many 14 kg ones and quite a few people would use them. As expected, when the final person picked his, there was none left, so I thought I’d use a 16 kg one, rather than 12.

TGU
    Then, as usual, most people, me included, would do their TGU. On Sunday I tried the 24 kg kettlebell for it and did two reps, so by my math, as the progressions go, I guess, today I will try for 3. But I am still not feeling very familiar with the weight, so I was a bit worried, even though there was no problem last time. The instructor came before I had a chance to even starte with the 20 kg one and asked if I wanted him to spot me again, he’s free. Oh! Yes, please! I expected there to be the small woman as an instructor, but this was an unexpected boon :)
    He helped me with the inicial two reps with the 24 kg and gave me some tips for the technique - on how to puck from the leg and move nearly sideways and do that on the way back so that I wouldn’t just fall on my back, which I was sort of doing. He then went to check on others while I was resting. I wanted to try the third one, I still felt like I had enough strenght, but didn’t want to bother him, so I did that one alone. I tried to use his tip, but the heavy bell quickly reminded me I’d better leave the unfamiliar technique stuff to when I use a lighter weight.
    So I tried with the final rep for which I went back to 20 kg.

Deadlift + horizontal bar hang
    I repeated the exercise from Sunday. Since I was able to consult with the instructor then, I could just work on it today. I did, as usual, 5 rounds of: 5 deadlifts with 68 kg kettlebell and 10 s hanging in a chin-up on the bar + slowly lowering myself down.
    Considering I just had two days of 4 hours or Taiji and not such a long sleep in between, I started feeling a bit sluggish at this point.

Double kettlebell squats + push-ups
    The morning class in only one hour - half an hour shorter, and I didn’t feel like doing the dynamic swings and I didn’t have much time anyway, so I did 5 squats with 2x16 kg kettlebells and 5 push-ups. I did those on the floor and tried to do them slowly, focused, with the bet technique I could manage. I was tired, but I knew I had last couple of minutes and only had time for 2 rounds.

Frodocious likes this.
  10. Nachi

Sunday, June 3

CROATIA TRAINING CAMP 2023

Friday evening we left for a karate training camp to Croatia. This is my 6th or 7th time.

We arived Saturday at noon and had no training, I only went for a walk.

Sunday was originally supposed to be no official training, so the two of us wanted to help a friend get ready for her grading and practice Seiyunchin bunkai with her. Another frined joined us and we practiced for 2 hours in total, I think. I also did one taiji form - Laojia Yilu, I am waaay behind with our ongoing challenge.

Sensei also promised a black belt training, which was later moved to the sea. Two senseis and the two of us got to practice all Sepai bunkai. Including all the takesowns and throws and whatnot. I had my goggles ready for this, luckily. Sensei enjoyed this way too much, so when it was my turn, I made sure to add a little stomp when I got him to the sea floor :D Glad we got to practice bunkai, though! I still don’t remember them too well.

In the afternoon we had an hour long general training in the sea. We did mostly kihon and also three easy takedowns in pairs at the end. Right after sensei held a 20 min core work-out on the terrace.

Frodocious likes this.
  11. Nachi

Monday, June 5

CROATIA KARATE TRAINING CAMP 2023

Morning birdwaching: I got up at 5:45 to go birdwatching with my dad. It was raining, but we still went and apart from watching birds, it was also a nice, 6 km walk.

We managed to be ready for karate training at the beach at 8 am. It was still raining, but not too much and we were hidden under pine trees. Most of the people went to a trip to a national park, so there were not too many of us today. We did Junbi Undo, Kihon and some sayu - footwork.

When the training ended, the sensei teaching it - from a sister dojo asked if the two of us wanted to work on Sepai kata and bunkai. Absolutely! We went through both and I got corrections.

It is just that my back hurt from the morning and my injury on the hamstring from several years ago - it got aggravated by the training in the sea last year and it looks like it was the case this year, also.

We did pretty much nothing for the rest of the day as it was raining all the time. It stopped after diner, but it was still rather cold. When my dad had the great idea to go swimming. And I was sort of forced to. Along with Sett and another friend. It was getting dark, it was cold and nobody was in the sea. It’s definitely the coldest day I have ever experiened here. The water was cold, but when we were swimming, it was bearable. Of course, it was no extreme at all, probably 18 or 19 degrees C, but I am not the typed of person to enjoy cold baths. Not one bit :D

Still, the swim was rather pleasant, there were no waves at all. We swam 700 in around 30 mins. We got out of the sea at 9 pm, it was already dark.

Frodocious likes this.
  12. Nachi

Tuesday, June 6

Morning karate training

We started at 7:30 with black belt training. Sensei worked with us on Tensho kata and bunkai. That was nice.

At 8 am the general training started, today with many people present - around 40, I think.. We warmed up with a variation on a game of tag.

I was then asked to do Junbi Undo while the senseis used the while to practice their bunkai, I guess.

We have two senseis here today - 5th and 6th dan (our sensei, who organizes this). Since that would only make two groups, Sett and I were asked to teach, too.

We wanted to make two teaching blocks today by roughly 20 mins, but it always turns to be longer. I started at the most advanced group (and the smallest one) - from 5th kyu to 1st dan with 6 people. I was tasked with teaching Seiyunchin kata nad bunkai, which teh brown belts and kata also for the blue belts) will need for their upcoming grading.

I had them do the kata 4 times, each time with some explanations, then we covered the firt 3 bunkai.

My second block was at the least advanced group - beginners to 10 kyu. It nmostly had the children and the parents or grandparents, even, who wanted to try. So the group was rather diverse. Sensei did sayu - footwork with them in the previous block, so I taught how to do tsuki and age uke - basic block and had them do combination using the slides sensei taught. I had them try in pairs, alone and thought up an exercise to make it more fun for the kids who’ve been doing karate for maybe a couple of years and would roll their eyes at me starting with: “So let’s learn tsuki!” Damn them :D I tried to motivate them with words, but then used them one by one to direct the group - a step forward or backward with either tsuki and block, which seemed to be fun for them.

Like yesterday, the sensei from the sister dojo again offered additional 30 mins training for black belts and we practiced Kururunfa kata. I am not too good with it and this was a great opportunity to practice and learn more about it.

Before leaving I did one taiji form.

Saifa kata training

At 2 pm this sensei also wrote into a general program where anyone can organize anything, a Saifa kata training, and I went. We went through the kata step by step, sensei mentining details and he also had us practice some particular movements in interesting exercises. Nice!

The training was supposed to take 20-30 mins, but, as expected, took nearly an hour.

Swimming

I did one Taiji form and wen to swim a little - perhaps 400-500 m in the sea. I skipped the sea training today, as my hamstrin hurt and I had trouble kicking and wanted to let it rest. So I at least went to take some pictures of the group.

Frodocious likes this.
  13. Nachi

Wednesday, June 7

Morning karate - black belts

As usual, 7:30 on the beach. We started with one Tensho kata and as sensei promised, he started teaching us Sesan (Seisan) kata. This kata is way beyond our grade, if we would take the route of only learning the kata for our next grading. Which, for me, is Sepai, then for the 4th dan grading there's Kururunfa, of which we "know" the kata, but not its bunkai and this time, sensei decided to teach is Sesan kata, which is a kata for 5th dan grading. I think some years ago, he wouldn't do so, but his teacher said he sees no problem in teaching prospective black belt students even all the katas, especially the dojo instructors, etc. Since then he taught us Kururunfa nad now Sesan. It is generally now in the Croatia training camp or in the weekend national training camp in two weeks where we get to learn completely new stuff.
    I still struggle a fair bit with Kururunfa and have ways to go with the previous katas, so it is not like I have nothing to work on, but learning a new kata is rather exciting. Especailly now a thte black belt level, the new katas are not taught very often, since there is one per grade and the higher the grade, the longer it takes to reach it.
    I only had a rough idea about what Sesan kata looks like. I had an impression of a few techniques there and it was really completely new to me. And right from the start I found out this kata is quite cool. :)

Morning karate - all grades, teaching
    Warm-up with Sanchin and Junbi Undo was done by Sett today. Then we again split everyone into 4 groups, each instructor teaching two 20 min blocks. I would get a group of yellow and orange belts today.
    We wanted to focus on grading stuff and I decided to work on Renzoku kumite with both groups as it is an important part of syllabus for them. The yellow belt group consisted of a fairly homogenous group of teenagers of, I guess, 11-13 yo, so it was easy to adjust the tempo etc. to everyone. I only had time to do the defending side, did it step by step, but it wasn't new to anyone and everyone caught on quickly. It was, unfortunately, only when we got to the final two steps, that my suspicion something is strange rose much higher. And I asked a boy to be my sparring partner to figure out if I did anything wrong. Sure enough, right from the first step, I seitched the sides :eek::oops: Oh my, this was embarrasing. The Renzoku kumite starts with right foot stepping and left arm blocking. And I switched that. Each sequence of techniques, however, is done forst for one side, then the other, so doing this, I only switched which side always went first. But it wouldn't work for the ending. Ehm. So I told everyone they at least got to practice in a slightly different way and we adjusted it, which, as mentioned, luckily wasn't difficult and shouldn't feel much different. I promised I'd do push-ups in the number of techniques Renzoku kumite has (which isn't much) :oops: I just hope sensei didn't notice :D
    The next block this group would have was taught by Sett, who would teach the attacking side, so I told him my error and asked him if he could stress that no matter which hand starts in Renzoku kumite, it all works the same, and it is, in fact, a good exercise! :D:cool:
    He didn't, though :mad:

The next block I had the orange group, with a fair number of really good students from ours and other dojos. This group had just been taught by sensei, also working on Renzoku kumite. He didn't have time to work on it in pairs, as it is supposed to be, so he told me I should cover that quickly nad then perhaps move onto something else. So that was what we started with and actually worked on till the end. A few people always messed up somewhere in the middle, or got stuck. How much depended on their partner who would help or got stuck, too. I had them switch partners every round. We first went slow, then faster and faster to full power. I asked everyone for the several last rounds to do kiai - it should be done twice in both the attack and defence. Everyone struggled to keep that in mind, though. For the defending side the kiai is the same as in kata, for the attacker, it doesn't really matter where exactly one shoults, but we want at least two kiai wherewer. If anyone failed to do so, I'd give push-ups.
    As for the very last round, full effort, first attack then defence, I reminded about the kiai yet again. When finished and the block was over, I told everyone they had a break, but to do 10 push-ups for each missing kiai. Leterally eveyone started push-upping.... Sensei from the sister dojo came by and wandered what in particular earned one of his students push-ups. I guess he doesn't often get "punishment" push-ups, so I felt a liiitle awkward, but I explained. :oops:

Morning karate - black belt session
    This sensei form the sister dojo asked us three black belts if we wanted to stay and have a 30 mins technical training with him. Yes, yes, please! He asked our sensei if he was alright with him continueing with teaching the next steps of Sesan kata and we did just that. A complicated technique followed, but we got very nice explanations and simple exercises in pairs to figure out what some moves were supposed to look like. It was a great session and we learned quite a few more steps.

Late morning Taiji on the beach - teaching
    We had a paper for the next day ready on a table in the accomodation, where anyone could write an event they are organizing. We thought it would be nice to add some activities, and I went for Taiji shortly after the karate morning training, meant mostly for the parents, who might appreciate an easy exercise, as some were also joining our karate sessions. Around 7 people arrived, I think, which wasn't too much, but I was worried if anyone would arrive at all. I wanted to only do wuji meditation, help people do the wuji stance and then an introduction to silk reeling, which was exactly what I did in roughly a 40 min training session.
    Later I met several (5 or more) people who asked me about the Taiji, that they planned to come, but got caught in something, overslept or whatever. Some asked for another class, perhaps, but I knew sensei had some plans, too, and we didn't want to overlap stuff + I had also some work I needed to do in the afternoons. So maybe next year, sorry. One young guy, however, seemed really down about missing my session and asked where I was learning Taiji, he might want to come. He saw me practice the beginning of the sword form last year and seemed really interested since then.

After lunch we went for a 6 km walk to a supermarket. and then right to Sett's Saifa bunkai trianing, which may have lasted around 45 mins, too, as he promised it to a few people. I went there with the intention to either practice or assist depending on the number of people present - whether they would make an even or odd number. People were coming throughout, though, so I practiced, then not, then again, etc.

Then I, unfortunately, had some work to do and missed the water training (and my leg still hurt) with the intention to coming to a friend's organized swimming in the evening we did before. Unfortunately, I hadn't finished the work, yet, so I skipped it. I felt a bit bad about it and got a talking to by said friend :oops: But we just planned way too many things for today.
    Later another friend was organizing a barbecue, which was great. We also went to the more distant supermarket to get some meat and it turned out to be really, really, delicious. It's just that there were a lot of people, so it took time before we got our turn at the grill and before that we drank wine. There were four bottles on out table, 4 people drinking it. I didn't feel like it was such a great idea on an emty stomach, but we brought crisps and I ended up drinking probably nearly a bottle - I think we didn't open the last one in the end, but I am not sure.
    We went to rest quite early, though, before midnight.

Xue Sheng and Frodocious like this.
  14. Nachi

Thursday, June 8

We started with Sanchin and Tensho katas, then sensei taught us the rest of Sesan kata.

Morning karate - all grades, teaching
    Junbi Undo was led today by a frined with a fresh shodan. Then we split everyone into 4 groups today. I started at the most advanced one - 5th kyu to 1st dan. I had them practice San Dan Gi 1-4, which is also needed for grading. Some were doing well, some were a little lost sometimes, some did a couple of mistakes they struggled to get rid of. I did not exercise, only watched and corrected. I wanted them to go full power later, with kiai. Again no kiai in the whole San Dan Gi (there should always be 6) = 10 push-ups. At least one, but less then 6 kiais = 5 push-ups. I wouldn't have everoyne do push-ups all the time and I soon tended to forget about it, but one friend always asked if he should do his punishment push-ups, so there they were. In the end, as there were things to correct and work on just a little bit more, we spent the whole block on this.

For the second block I had the very heterogenous white belt group. They had done a basic kihon combination of four unches with sensei, but had done no kicks, so I wanted to work on that, but ended up with only different group exercises for hiza geri. These usually work well, but there was a couple of kids, who would be loud and doing anything else, not just now, but during general warm-up and anything. Today they seemed to be particularly uncooperative right from the starts. I guess it was a miscalculation on my part with an exercise where they had some time when they were supposed to just wait. I should have known better. A couple of other children got carried away together with them. This time, to be honest, I was happy when the block was over. It is just too hard to figure out a good exercise for both older ladies and little children. This probably wasn't one of those. Or at least not for today, otherwise we do this type of training regularly and it works with children fairly well, too.

Morning karate - black belt session
    The second sensei again asked us three junior black belts if we wanted a bit more trainig with him, and of course, we would not skip that opportunity. We worked on Sesan kata again - practicing and learning more details.

In the afternoon there was no sea training today, there was a football match instead - a second match. I didn't participate in the first one, so I didn't go to the second one, either. Instead, Sett and I spent some 1,5 or maybe 2 hours with a friend getting ready for her 2nd kyu grading, helping her get ready. The original plan was to cover the whole syllabus, if possible, but she went for an evening trip and there wasn't enough time as we got stuck at kata and bunkai. I think we gave her some insights. Maybe too many details a day before the grading, but we mentined whta we saw and gave her two general tasks to focus on throughout her kata.

Frodocious likes this.
  15. Nachi

Thursday, June 8

Today we started with Tensho kata and then were tasked with demonstrating our 3 highest kata. Which for Sett and I were Sepai, Kururunfa and Sesan, the 1st dan friend had Shisochin, Sanseru and Sepai. Sensei would give us a few correction and I used the opportunity to ask questions to confirm what I was doing here and there or if the version we heard at a seminar, for example, from a foreign sensei, was the same one we were doing, etc. Sometimes there may be some nuances.

Morning karate - general training
    It was the last day today and we put on our gis. Sett was going to take pictures, so he would need some free time. Therefore we asked senseis if we could only divide the students into 3 groups. Sett would be taking pictures and I would switch with him for the second block. In the end, senseis didn’t divide the groups today at all.
    We did some warm-up, then we did some partner or 5 person group exercises. Then we stood in two rows - the front one was of those who were going to grade today, and the second of those who were not. We would do kihon - basic techniques on the spot. All full power, every tenths technique would be with kiai.
    I was called over to the front and sensei told me I was going to be there as reference, so the two senior senseis could just watch. It looked like the grading had probably just started. Since it was full power and I was to be the example, I did not dare to hold back and did everyonthing as strong as I could, though I didn’t do everything in too quick a succession. I know how this works. I’d tire myself out too fast. Mostly everyone was going faster, but it didn’t take long for them to slow down and ease up, out of strength, while I, as I was getting into it, was speeding up a little. After all the tsukis my shoulders didn’t listen to my commands that well, but I did my best to stand straight and do everything with as much speed and power as I could muster.
    I originally thought I’d switch with Sett in taking pictures, but there was no opportunity now.
    Kicks were harder as I was standing down on the slope of the beach, near the sea and the pebbles under my feet would slide down. I tried to make a little flat spot for myself, but my feet would bury deeper. My hamstring also still hurt and I had trouble straightening my right leg in the front kick, so I didn’t. And I found out back kick was a problem, too. So I went light, without stretching my leg too far for these, and only did the kicks full power on my left side.
    We ended the session with 3 30s rounds of shadow boxing using the various technique we just practiced.

Grading. We moved to the terrace of out apartment building with nice hard flat surface. The kihon part was indeed over and now I watched and assisted a little with organization - collecting the fees, etc.

Afternoon karate in the sea

I had some work over lunch, then we went for an icecream as usual, and I finally again attended the sea training. We did some kihon and then hiza geri in one large group - the same exercise I did with the beginner group yesterday morning. It the water, however, the children couldn’T make that much of a mess or run about :D Or, well, actually, the trouble makers probably weren’t there now. After knee kicks we did a few takedowns. It was fun I did my best not to strain my right hamstring again, but from just moving in the water, I could feel it aching, but with a mild, dull pain only. Hopefully it won’t get worse in the evening or tomorrow as it tends to.

I completely forgot I wanted to try jumping from a springboard placed not too far away. I found out the English work for this is springboard, but in reality, this was just a simple board, well, a plank, or a couple, that wasn’t really springy at all. Or not so stable looking I’d really want to try. It was placed on a 3 - 3,5 m tall cliff.
    My dad had his swimming suit on when we passed by before and I kind of challenged him into doing a forward dive. He didn’t do it for quite a few years, but he was the one who taught me how to when I was little. He went there and jumped. Fairly well! I wasn’t sure if I would find the courage to jump from that height at all, I might have never done that before. Or maybe when I was tiny and wasn’t afraid of anything. And I didn’t do a forward dive for years, either. But if my dad did it, I totally wanted to do it, too :D Otherwise he’d make fun of me, I’m sure. The height felt nto very pleasant, but I decided not to think too much about it. My dad gave me advice to push off the plank properly, as hard as I could. And I did that. The fall felt too long in a scary way, even though 3 m isn’t really that much, but I am not familiar with this feeling at all and the water hit quite hard. In my face and in my chest.
    I did try one more time. But, although I didn’t realise it, when at the water surface, I bent my knees and this time I jumped far rather than straight down and as I bet my legs at the last moment, I smacked my thighs flat on the surface.
    Only then did my dad tell me that when jumping from a bit higher up, my palms should face the water flat -_- I was pointing my fingers, of course. That’s why the water hit my face and chest the first time. The thighs the second time was a different problem, though :D After the two jumps, I decided I had had enough. The height was stressing me out a little.
    The next day, clusters of small bluish bruises appeared all over my thighs. I guess I should keep my mistakes in mind next time.
    The whole experience was scary, but fun! I am also a bit proud that I found the courage to jump, and with a forward dive at the first try.

Frodocious likes this.
  16. Nachi

Saturday was a travel day, 15 hours in the bus, we returned at midnight.

Sunday 11th June

I unpacked and went to weed my veggie plot. Everything is growing nicely ^^

Kettlebell gym in the evening

The regular instructor wasn’t there today, either, the head instructor was teaching today’s class again.
    We started with mobility exercises, then, which seemed to be new for most people (while I only tried once in his morning class the week before) squats facing the wall. It’s looked easy, but it’s not :D

Then we did the usual warm-up with kettlebells. I took my usual 14 kg, but last time I used 16 kg as there were no 14s left and today the 14 felt… too easy, almost. As for the pull-over, I can feel the progress. At this point I was able to rest my hands with the kettlebell on the floor before lifting it up. I am not sure if it is considered cheating to relax there a bit, but it kind of is the goal of the exercise and the instructor probably saw and didn’t say anything. I am thinking that perhaps it would be time to switch to 16 kg, but who knows. I was told these exercises are for warm-up and are not supposed to be heavy, but it seems at least for this exercise, the same weight won’t get me much further, I think. I’ll try to ask next time.

To my pleasant surprise the 20 at the beginning seemed lighter than I remembered it. That is good. I tend to be a bit afraid of starting with the heaviest weight I am using right away, but that probably is what I am going to try next week, unless I want to add a warm-up rep.
    I took a minute or 2 min long breaks in between reps and it worked quite well. The instructor was watching, at least at the beginning from not far away, probably ready to offer assistance, but if I can't always rely on him. I think it all went quite well. The instructor told me so, too, so I was happy. Today the left side felt a bit weaker, which actually I thought wasn’t the case last time.

I repeated the same work-out again 5 rounds of:
    5 kettlebell deadlifts - 68 kg
    10 s high hold
    on the horizontal bar + slowly lowering myself down (in the duration of maybe 5 s).

I again was going for my usual routine of 5 rounds of:
    5 squats with 2x16 kg kettlebells and 5 push-ups

I started doing push-ups normally on the floor, paying a lot of attention to the technique, to do them properly. Feet together, butt tight, elbows by the body, touch nose to the floor and all that. I think I did ok, but it was quite hard. The last rep was always a bit shaky and I think I pushed harder from one arm.

But when I was going for the fourth round, the instructor came to ask if I wanted to try the push-ups a couple of guys there were learning. Sure, why not. According to google these are called pike push-ups. I never tried them before, but I did kinda watch the instructor explain this exercises to the guys and girls last time. They had trouble getting the technique right, so the instructor would explain over and over in different ways and I got a good idea what he and the students were doing differently. But I didn’t remember well, so I asked for a brief explanation, if possible.

The instructor had me try at first under the horizontal bar with a thick rubber band on my hips - to focus more on the technique. He adjusted my position and I did my best to do it the way I understood it. It actually seemed a bit similar to Neko Undo we do in Karate classes. After a few tries the instructor said that was it and time to move to a thinner rubber band or try with full bodyweight. I was all for the rubber band, though I got a much thinner one. I tried a few more times.
    I went to do my last round of squats, but when I wanted to return to the push-ups,, the guys were trying again and still couldn’t get it right, so it looked like I won’t be able to go there before it was time for swings, so I tried with bodyweight only, on the flat floor. I lowered my nose down to the floor and, oh no, couldn’t get myself back up :D :D :D Where’s my rubber band?
    While the movement looks similar to Neko Undo, there I go up in a different way - or do my best to and this time of push seemed too hard suddenly! :D It was a bit embarrassing, as I couldn’t get my head off the floor and had to put my knees down. I tried again, but didn’t go as low - I stopped, idk 10 cm from the floor and with all the effort pushed myself back up.
    Now that I look up the pike push-ups online, I think I kept my hands probably too close. I put my hands and kept also my elbows shoulder width apart, as I would do in regular push-ups and in Neko Undo. And as the instructor demonstrated. At least it looked the way to me, that’s why I made a mental note to push the elbows back. But the instructor is (by my standards) super strong and even though he did tell me to put my hands further apart, I later tried with shoulder-width. And I am apparently too weak for this.. But I liked the exercise, it was new to me and I should practice at home a bit. It would be a nice push-up variation to try with the class in the dojo, too Once I understand the technique well.

10 mins x 10 double-handed swings. I used the 28 kg as usual. I can feel that I could handle a heavier weight at this point, it doesn’t make me breath hard at all, but my hands can’t take it and prevent me from doing so. I try to hold the kettlebell more toward the fingers to avoid pinching and tearing the calluses, but the later reps in most rounds still hurt and I tend to try to compromise the technique to lessen the strain.

Was going well. Then the instructor asked: “Is it too hard to go for the flats?” - Meaning the position with spreading the legs toward a split and lowering the body in between, flat to the floor. In the end he decided we should try. Lately I am doing better at this, I am regularly able to put my chest to the floor, but today, when I tried, I think it was for the first tiem ever that I was able to really lay flat - from the face, to the chest and even belly. Yaaay! And I was also able to hold the position for some time. The instructor was helping the less flexible ones to stretch also on a couple of steps and then he came to me, with a bit of an uncertain advice. Since I couldn’t really go any lower, he said I can try to increase not only flexibility, but the strengths of those muscles by putting my arms behind my back, taking my lags a bit closer and try to lower my body as low as I can, hold and lift it back up without pushing off of the floor with my hands. He said he’s no expert in this, but was giving ideas. I am no expert, either, but this sounded like a logical step, building strength in the furnest positions is something I would definitely like to work on. So I tried a few times, stopping Idk, 10-20 cm above the floor before getting back up. I like it! I’ll definitely be adding this to my routine. I am very happy to pick up odd exercises like this one here and there. This is what I liked about crossfit and about here - learning cool stretch/mobility//stability exercises.

Frodocious likes this.
  17. Nachi

Monday 12th June

I am sore from yesterday. I guess 10 day between weight training is too much. Mostly my lower back and hamstrings hurt. Oh yeah, I haven't doen the swings properly in a while, now that I think about it.

Home solo training throughout the day
    During the day, when heating up lunch, in the morning, etc. I wanted to review my new kata and do at least a couple of Laojia Yilus. To be able to complete our challenge till the end of June, I’ll need to do two of them a day…
    So I did:
    4 Sesan, 1 Kururunfa, 1 Sepai
    Double-fan: 2x
    Laojia Yilu: 2x
    Then I did the double fan form twice, not completely sure about the last move.

Karate kids
    We were training outside, on the grass today. I thought we'd have the kids do lots of running as they do like to run around at all times and it would be pointless to have them stay in one spot while outside. To our surprise, though, when we wanted them to run across the grass a few times, three out of 8 did not and only walked, unless really urged. What is wrong with them today? Anyway, that basically concluded our running and we did footwork in a game, then a bit of kihon ido and finally kata. I think.

Karate adults
    We were outside, too. Sanchin kata to warm-up, Junbi Undo, then Sett prepared several easy combinations to practice in pairs quickly. In the end, the practice wasn't too quick, though, and it took most of the class, with the last 15 mins for kata practice - Gekisai Dai Ichi, Ni and Saifa.
    I mostly did not exercise. I got to partner up for a couple of combinations briefly, but that was it, unfortunately. Ohterwise I was helping and correcting.

Frodocious likes this.
  18. Nachi

Tuesday 13th June

In the morning I did one Laojia Yilu and quickly just went through the fan and double fan form to make sure I remember.

Taiji fan - teaching
    The summer regime is basically here, people going on holidays (I am one to talk, I just returned from one) and only 4 people arrived. We started with meditation and reviewed the fam form. We spent a long time with the last two moves that are complicated for those who don't learn Laojia Yilu, which was half or most of them here today. One girl also missed 5 classes, so I explained the last move from the beginning for her. At the end of the class she asked about a private class so she could catch up. I offered next Wednesday. Just when she left the teacher approached and asked if I remembered he'd be away next week and I promised to help with the Wednesday courses. ....Dang! :eek:
    I ran to the changing room to see if I could catch the girl and move the private lesson to Tuesday when the teacher said they can move the class from the smaller room so we could use it. She was the last still there, and Tuesday worked for her. Phew. :oops:

Taiji sword and sword applications
    We usually start this broadsword class in two groups. Those who know the sword form and practice it for half and hour and those who don't and are generally new to weapon forms and practice the broadsword fomr the beginning. There was no one from the latter group today, so we used the whole gym. I only did 1,5 forms, though, as I was solving the private class times.
    We didn't even pick up the broadswords today, and after some sword practice we started what was supposed to come next (I suppese the group learned the final broadsword move last week) - which is sword applications :) It should be fun. We were gived wooden swords, were taught how to hold it and some etiquette to follow when practicing in pairs and then we tried the first technique which I think can be found many times throughout the form - I cirsle with the sword where part is a block - or redirecting a stab and a slice. We tried solo then in pairs, as well as how to stab and turn to avoid the thrust. Instructor L came to be my partner. She had already practiced this stuff in her private classes with the teacher, so I was lucky to get an experienced partner :)
    It was nice and basic move. I think it is a great thing to learn this in order to improve our form - to understand what the moves are about.

Taiji - Laojia Erlu
    We started with meditation and Laojia Yilu under the lead of the usual instructor. He sped up a little! Yay! No painfully slow form today. ... I know they are technically supposed to be, or I am supposed to be able to ddo it that way. But I just can't. I can't even make my breaths so long. The previous class wasn't particularly exhausting, so I still had strenght left adn went for low stances. However, althogh we did have some trainings last week, I was teaching some of them and the rest weren't exactly too hard, either, so my tolerance went down. As my Polar app shows mercilessly. Just how can it plummet this way in a week, even if I am actually training?! True, I didn't have my watch for the water trainings and swimming, but... I didn't do too many of those, anyway.
    And thus, when we followed up with the Cannon Fist form, I could feel my energy leaving. I slept badly today and of top of that it started raining in the afternoon and the air was hot and damp and I was uncomfortably hot and a little lightheaded. We worked on the Cannon Fist form - the later part, bit by bit, until we got to the end of the form and then ddi the whole form once again. I was really tired. Not that my muscles would hurt or protest, but I just felt generally too sluggish.

After the class I did my stretching routine. My hamstrings are still tight and a little sore from the Sunday kettlebell class, so even though I didn't feel like it, I did stretch them and planned to join the class then. But when I finished stretching, I suddenly didn't feel like doing anything. So I went home. At least I should be fresh for tommorrow.

Over 1200 kcal today. Less then usual, as expected.

Frodocious likes this.
  19. Nachi

Wednesday, 14th June

Taiji fan
    We started with the form, once alone, once with the teacher, and then we went through bits trying to improve our techniques. Later we picked the double fans and practiced bit by bit, too. Two weeks ago, the teacher taught me two moves ahead, but the last one was complicated and I didn't really get a chance to practice. Or I did try a few times since Monday, but was a bit lost and didn't take out my notes. Today, the teacher taught us exactly these two moves. But as for the second, he started moving the legs in an unfamilliar way or in a the other leg than I thought and it felt strange. So he left us there with: "Yeah, keep trying it for now, I'll check how it is and I'll be back." What are we supposed to practice, though? :D Anyway, this was incredibly funny as this was the second time the tecacher left durign the double fan form and I found out everytime he does, I get showered by questions. There were probably 5-6 other people today (only) and three of them asked me about the moves we were practicing. Unfortunately, I really didn't learn more about them then they did (with the exception of the last one, which I didn't remember, though), but I did my best to explain. When the teacher teaches, no one ever has a question! This is starting to be rather funny :D I wonder if people are afraid of him or what. He's always ready to answer any question we'd have.

Taiji - 33 moves
    Silk reeling on the terrace - which I skipped. I did one Laojia Yilu (for the challenge) and one Laojia Erlu (since I had a bit of time and I really need to improve, or at least ingrain it into my memory, for starters). There was one other instructor practicing his double saber form for the upcoming demo. Even while he did, he shouted some corrections my way. How? :D When he finished, and I did not, he was watching and kept reminidng me not to look down. Easier said than done, though! Especially when I was trying to recall things. And I think a couple of times he accused me of looking down wrongly. Hmph! But at least he helped me with one move at the end :)
    When people came in for the class, we did one form up to the 33rd move. And worked on the latest moves a little. The teacher wanted us to go through one spot without stopping, with proper movement in the hips. I had to think which way to send the hip joint and realized it is not too complicated - just relax it, it'll move down and I can turn and continue smoothly. I was fairly happy with this, why wasn't I doing it before? The answer came right away. The teacher watched me from about 1 m distance and as soon as I finished this move, I heard him breath out in a way that didn't signal his satisfaction. "Was it wrong?" Instead of answering, he decided to give a general lecture from a very general perspective at first. But as soon as he started, I knew he noticed me relaxing my hip going in the aimed direction right away and he did not like it. He decided to explain to everyone so that everyone can try and so he doesn't hold any ifo back, but form the looks of people, most had no idea what he was talking about, I guess.
    So to demonstrate how the motion needs to be done, we were to try each step with a fajin. And when we finished, the teacher would call from a bit further away: "Hey, Nachi, there you have your karate! See, we can easily do it here, too!" I would have said something clever in retort, but... he was basically right.
    We did some stretching at the end of the class.

Taiji - 27 moves
    I led the silk reeling on the terrace, today I was able to do the movement rather well, I'd say. I had some probelms, but I think the gist of what I was trying hard to do and always find hard went quite well today! :)
    Then we did the 26 moves inside. The last being Cloud Hands and the group had already learned the longer verison with turns, which we practiced, then, over and over. A friend asked abotu the turn, she wasn't able to figure it out. Basically one crosses treir legs and turns around, 180°. And then step sideways, for which the ideal position is when the feet are side by side - as in in one line. And that is hard to do, unless you have a clever trick for it like I do - turn on heel of the front foot, and on the ball of the rear foot. Ta dah! feet side by side. The friend, as usual, was asking me aboutt he turn when the teacher left and I was just imparting my wisdom, when the teacher returned. So I just said we are working on the turn and he showed how it should be done correctly - on heels. Without my awesome trick, though. He just wants to rob my cool inventions from me today! :D But when I asked about this, he didn't completely diss it. He said it would be wrong in a fight, but when we practice the form... basically: "Do whatever." Yay :)
    After the class, another friend told me that he had some trouble with the turn, too, and he looked my way and noticed I somehow made my feet end up side by side, so he quickly stole my trick. I wonder if he'll keep it now. :)
    We also practiced some movements from the next move. high patting on horse. Cloud Hands and High Patting on horse, are - in my book - probably the hardest moves in the whole form.

Taiji
    For the last leson I stretched a bit, but my hamstrings are still tight or sore and my injured hamstring is still hurting from overexerting it the first day in Croatia :/ So I didn't overdo it. And didn't feel like stretching much. Since everyone was on the terrace at first, I instead took my double fans to go through the form a few times. The teacher made fun of a friend that in the weekend demo, she could show this form. And in fact, he wants to see the video of it (the head teacher won't be there). Or course, she was looking for a way out, so she pointed out I'll be there, too, so I quickly offered I'd record her on the video :D The teacher was obviously jesting, but I am not sure if the teacher organizing this demo possibly took it seriously - at least the part where the double fan should be demonstrated. Hopefully not. Not if he doesn't want to embarass our school, hahaha :D This form is very hard, we haven'T been learning it long and we're all very clumsy with it. I had a lazy grip today and even dropped the fan like 5 times. :oops:
    Tje teacher also told me we won't have the private class/bit with the double fans today as he is tired. I quite expected that and there was no need to apoligize for it. Actually, I was pretty tired, too, I didn't sleep well the past two days, but I originally didn't think of leaving early if we would have that class. But since it was cancelled, I joined the current class for a tiny bit, but left half an hour earlier. I was out of energy nad therefore also mood for exercising any more.

1200 kcal today, 3,5 hours.

Frodocious and axelb like this.
  20. Nachi

Thursday 15th June

I was a bit busy, but did all I could to get to karate. I was running... not late, but right on time provided sensie would start a bit later than usual. Unfortunately, one tram on the way had some trouble and mine and others could not go. We got stuck at a stop, where there was really no other way to the dojo. I would have to go a long way back to get on the subway of something. After some time we were told we should continue in about 10-15 mins. Awesome.
    After about 25 mins of waiting, I decided to call it a day today, and got on a tram home. Right before the trams to the dojo actually did continue. But I was in a bit of a passive mood then and thought I might as well get home eralier and do some stuff I planned. It turned out to be a pointless, 2 hour trip that got me nowhere :rolleyes:
    Sett later told me sesnei actually did not arrive to teach, and he had to quickly think of something to do in class. I was feeling a bit bad I didn't come to help, but I would arrive 30-40 mins late, anyway.

At least I did y daily 2 Laojia Yilus and at least 1 Sesan. I was feeling tired, as I am all week, when I came home.

Frodocious and axelb like this.