My JKD Class started!

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Light123, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Hey, y'all! I'm back and I hope you weren't too worried. :D

Anyway, my JKD class at college started. YAY :D I was wondering if anyone has any advice since i have both arms on my walker holding me up.

2. fruitjuice!

fruitjuice! Banned Banned

Bruce Lee did say a Karate punch is like an iron bar and it go Whang! A JKD punch is like an iron chain with an iron ball attached to the end and it go ShaBang!! And it hurt inside.

The advice in that? Get a mate to tie 2 iron chains with balls to each end of your walkers and let the class continue. :D

3. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Welcome Back

Greetings. I'm glad you've found a place where you're happy training. Are you able to stand at all without the aid of your walker? If you are, I would recommend doing exercises that strengthen your legs. There may come a day that you won't need the walker. While working on leg strength, work your JKD techniques with one arm, while holding on with the other. Don't forget to work both arms. HTH. Best of luck to you. Keep us posted. :D

4. Light123

Yeah, I can stand without it by leaning on a wall. But I doubt I'll be able to walk without it, my disability is neurodegenerative, y'know?

Anyway, this guy named Don came to the class last week. he was in a wheelchair, a low-back one. He got me in a low-back wheelchair as well. I didn't want to at first, because what if I got in a real fight? I wouldn't have the wheelchair, I'd have the walker. But then I was thinking "If you can learn in the chair, you could do what you learn on your knees." :D So I gave it a shot. We worked on punching, catching, parrying, hook, and salute block. Man, I was picking it up like crazy. :D At the end of the class, my professor, Mr. Tuttle, came over and did all 3 defense drills with me defending. Faster each punch.

They said I had a hard fist :D

What's more, Don and Mr. Tuttle told me at the beginning of the class they werer going to start an Academy for disabled MAists.

5. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

Way To Go!

It sounds like you're doing great. I'm glad to hear that your instructors are willing to work so extensively to help disabled martial artists. How's your upper body strength? What types of conditioning do you do? Do you plan to cross train any ground work?

6. Light123

My upper body strength is as good as heck. It hurts you when I hit ya. :D As for your other questions, I don't think I know what you're asking?

7. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

The Toolbox

I am always interested in what types of strength and conditioning various martial artists employ. I am especially interested in how other disabled martial artists train. My instructors and I have made some simple modifications to kettlebell routines, and achieved tremendous results. I also do lots of BWE, work the heavy bag a lot, and I love to spar. I was curious as to what kind of workout you do.

8. Inner Qi

Inner Qi Banned Banned

good luck with your future training :)

9. Light123

Well, I dunno how to do the kicks from the wheelchair. We did a bunch of punching/catching drills.

They want me to participate in some stuff that will make the materials for the academy. Some videotaping and some stuff outside of class. The aademy is supposed to teach MA instructors how to w ork with disabled people as well as help the disabled find MA dojos, etc.