My IQ Test

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Intan86, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Greetings MAPers,

I was surfing on the net looking for Usher's lyrics (www.azlyrics.com) and there was this free IQ test website...I think it's one of the azlyrics adv(in other window) so I did it. My IQ is 106. Is that bad? I think it's bad. I confess I'm not that smart and I am kind'f a slow learner(except for MA..I don't know why). I wonder what's an average person point is? I start to think that I'm stupid and maybe retarded or something. According to my result and correct answers, I'm a Word Warrior. It means I have exceptional verbal skills. I can easily make sense of complex issues and take an unusually creative approach to solving problems. My strengths also make me a visionary.

No wonder I'm a word warrior,I hate math! Math is my worst subject in school. I don't know what's wrong but I can remember events in the History text book and not Math.AAAAARGGGHHHH!!!! :woo: Sometimes I felt shy to ask for help because I'm scared that the other student would think that I'm stupid. :(

Intan :cry:

2. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

106 isnt bad...depending on the test. Each I.Q. test has a different score for average, above average. 106 is probably around average though.

I suck at math too. Im only good at basic math.

3. matreyia

matreyia New Member

I believe there is no way to establish IQ from a "standardized" test. Every person has different types of intelligence. One person may be good at math but horrible at english or art. Spatial intelligence and color understanding makes artists. While math and science makes engineers and scientists. Some scientists aren't even good at math, just mediocre. They specialize in theories and hypothesis. Then there are the proprioceptively aware. They are the super coordinated athletes and people who can learn martial arts quickly.

Think about it. Math doesn't make you smart. What use is it if you can't function in society? Would you want to be a social moron with great math skills? Emotional intelligence is one of the most contributing factors of good world leaders and company ceo's. It allows a person to be able to read and understand another person's feelings better which helps them work with those people easier. Henry Ford once said, "What do I want to study math for when I can hire people to do it for me?" That is a very rough paraphrase of his statement...

Finally, I believe that intelligence has little to do with wisdom. It is possible that a man cannot read, but still is very wise. Likewise, it is possible that a man is well read, great in math etc., but lacks wisdom completely. Just look at military people who love to fight wars and conquer lands. Hitler, Stalin, Napoleon etc...They all were at least a little above average in intelligence, but lacked wisdom. Napoleon is debatable because some people like him. Stalin too I suppose. But in my opinion, if you kill for greed or power, you are absolutely not wise. You are no different than a child who frets and beats other children for their toys. Thus no wise person may be considered stupid, but some very intelligent people may definitely be considered stupid.

Hey, don't fret dude, just don't ever compare yourself to other people. Do what you do. You are you. You cannot be expected to have other people's abilities. Appreciate yourself. Even if you are in a wheelchair and deaf and mute. You and everyone else in the entire universe has a function which must be appreciated. If you weren't in this universe, we would not be either, because everything is dependent upon other things. Nothing can exist by itself independently of other things. They all depend on conditions. Thus we are all connected.

:D

4. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

Stop listening to usher, your I.Q. will immediately jump 20 points. :)

5. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

IQ tests (and many online IQ tests) can be fairly inaccurate. They're okay for testing the norm. You start going into lower or higher score and you start loses accuracy. IQ tests score by comparing to other IQ tests, meaning that they are accurate within the norm of grades. Even then, its not testing all forms of skills that people have. Theres so many different kinds of intelligences, people are good at certain things and not others. Does a standardised test tests all of those skills? Certainly not. Don't worry about what your IQ tests says, go on like it never happened and do what your good at (and I'm not saying your IQ test was bad, I'm fairly certain that 106 is in the norm bulk of scores, its just in my opinion not to put much creedence in IQ tests)

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

You have a good point.

But IQ tests are generally a load of crap. I've gotten over 125 on all the one's I've ever taken, which is crap, because I know I'm stupid!

PL

7. Song1

Song1 New Member

hmm from what i can remember, below 80 means something like your retarded. i thought the average was closer to around 120. and anything over 150 is considered a genis. I'm not to sure about the numbers, but i'm pretty sure i'm close

8. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

the top 2% in the uk have iq's above 130, i have 132 and i know i am intelligent but i lack the ability to apply this to anything so the test is absolutely worthless!

9. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Iq tests don't mesure intelligence imo. This is coming from somone with a 130 iq. Iq tests basically mean nothing and psychiatrists would agree to that :) . They seem to be their to make ppl feel dumber. 106 is not bad at all for a iq score. You accel in things you like. If I find something boring I have a lower learning curve. This is only natural. The online iq tests are totally incomplete. Takes me awhile to learn things but when I get them I really get them and remeber em well. Nothing wrong with learning slowy other than the fact that our school systems are messed up :( . They are also generalized like iq tests. I am a 9th grade drop out and a college student now. I am doing good in college. Einstein failed math in high school and he turned out good :woo: . I never had a problem in history but I am not good at reading :( . I rarely read though. The only book i'm reading atm is tao of jeet kune do. I wing all my college classes /chuckle.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

The average score for an IQ test is 100 exactly, regardless of the test. That's part of the whole definition of the things.

11. Hugh

Hugh New Member

LilBunnyRabbit is right. The IQ system basically projects your mental age as a comparison of your physical age. Therefore a score of 100 indicates that your intelligence is the same as the average score for your age group. Similarly, a score below 100 indicates that you have below average intelligence, and above 100 indicates that you have above average intelligence.

Simple :)

12. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

Hence why it is called intelligence quota. If you're not very good at one aspect like maths, then you don't have a very rounded IQ. Having a low IQ is not saying that you are totally dumb, however it is a good indicator of your general intelligence and the way your logic works. The tests can be quite sophisticated, and can single out certain characteristics as being exceptional, even if your score is lower than you might have thought.
    Many studies show that IQ is partially related to how well you do in life. Obviously, this is a HUGE generalisation, but basically the evidence is still there to suggest it plays a pretty vital part.
    www.iqtest.com. I took a test on there about 2 years ago, under test conditions, and got 166! Apparently it should be within 5 points of your IQ, so I started wondering how good this test was. I got a few mates who got lower results than me at school to take it, and they all got around the 100odd mark. I always wondered why I could do really well with last minute revision for every exam :D

13. Zamfoo

Zamfoo Valued Member

The tests are written so that an average person would score 100 yet the American average, atleast, is 90. I wouldn't listen to online tests anyway I've seen a girl get a 189 online.

14. Chris.B

Chris.B New Member

Stupid poop loops beat me, 124. You're going down...:D

15. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

"The modern field of intelligence testing began with the Stanford-Binet test. It is worth noting that Alfred Binet, who created the IQ test in 1904, was aiming to identify students who could benefit from extra help in school: his assumption was that lower IQ indicated the need for more teaching, not an inability to learn. Indeed, this interpretation is still held by modern experts.

(The following numbers apply to IQ scales with a standard deviation σ = 15.) Scores between 90 and 110 are considered average—so a person scoring 95 is simply average, not below-average. For children scoring below 80 special schooling is encouraged, children above 135 are "highly gifted". In previous years, scores below 90 were divided into ranges labelled moron, imbecile and idiot, while scores above 150 were labelled genius. Some writers say that such scores outside the range 55 to 145 are essentially meaningless because there are not enough people to make statistically sound statements.

Online IQ tests
    Although such tests have become wildly popular with the explosion of the internet in recent years, there is great reason to believe that these IQ tests are highly inaccurate in their estimation of one's IQ. For example, by inputting random answers on one particular IQ test, an IQ of roughly 80 is obtained. Comparing results among a large set of people shows a common factor—most scores are above 110. Most of these websites attempt to sell certificates showing test results. It is therefore recommended not to take online IQ tests as a true judge of one's IQ, even when considering that people who take these tests voluntarily are likely to be above average anyway. "-Wikipedia encyclopedia

16. redi knight

redi knight New Member

good stuff nekogami13, online iq tests often try to sell somethin, so makin someone feel good would help that. also online iq tests are shorter. some real iq tests are several pages long.even so...i know people who did well on iq tests, and i tend think they are ...uh...arent the 'sharpest tools in the shed' ;) :D

anyway...people who go around breggin about their IQ or intelligence arent really that smart, just insecure because they arent satisfied with knowing(or thinking) they are smart, they need other people to think so too.

for me, intelligence =effective. and it aint effeciant to be worrying about how smart you are. just keep your head high and do the best you can, thats all you can do.

17. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I interpret intelligence as how you can apply what you know
    I interpret wisdom as how much you know.

I don't apply IQ tests as I think they are a steaming pile.

also, Intan, English isn't your first language is it? Don't worry about IQ tests or things like that.

18. Nukie

Nukie New Member

If you're talking about the Mensa IQ test I got my results back about 2 weeks ago and i'm 148, which is apparently the top 2%.. I think you mean the Beat The Nation IQ test on the bbc website which is 130 for the top 2%..
    although apparently its not very accurate for different reasons!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  19. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

No, English isn't my first language. I'm sorry if I did a lot of grammar mistakes and makes you all wonder what I'm talking about.

20. YounGrasshopper

YounGrasshopper New Member

Myabe That is why you are so smart!! lol
    jk