My Competition Video Collection

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Stalkachu, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Stalkachu

Stalkachu resU deretsigeR

For those who are interested in watching the progression of a BJJ player over time and those looking to criticize my passive hugging style. Or just, y'know, anyone who wants to mock me for whatever reason they make up. ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/thejiujitsugame

Enjoy!

Take care,

Stalks

2. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Those are cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

3. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

You seem to always pull 1/4 guard? Why would you do that?

4. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Don't know about you. I end up in half guard because they pass my guard and I manage to stop them half way!

5. Stalkachu

Pretty much the reason Ghost Frog gave. I pull half-guard (and a loose half-guard at that) because I don't want to risk the takedown. If I get a grip on one collar (you need the grip in CBJJ rules, you can't pull guard without a grip), then I'll pull half-guard as best I can. I'm confident enough in my half-guard that they won't pass, but if they do they do and we can work from there. Not a very proactive tactic, perhaps, but still reasonably effective. It's also easier to pull half guard then to pull a good closed guard, although I admit my pulling technique (boom-boom) does need a little bit of work. Probably going to switch to foot on the opposite hip and then pull a bad closed guard and drop to half-guard. The same as I do in...Britsubfight Absolute Semi, if memory serves.

But I'm always evolving. ^_^

Any, uh, criticisms?

Take care,

Stalks

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

I'm almost positive the guy you are fighting in the absolutes semi final is from my bjj class.

Whens it from? If its the one from a week or so ago its definatley him.

Anyway, if its recent, you really need to be more proactive in your half guard. If its not recent, then you probably know that by now :D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  7. Stalkachu

Which Absolute semi-final? The recent one with the, uh, very large dude? Yeah, that was a couple of weeks ago now. And I try to be proactive in my half-guard, just people keep trying to stop me. Spoilsports. -_-

To be honest, my half-guard game is pretty solid in the sense of it being fairly hard to pass, but I'm always adding new aspects to it. I'm a very slow developer in terms of adding new techniques to my game, but as a result I drill the hell out of the things I DO use a lot of the time. So give me time to develop a little better. ^_^

...but, uh, what precisely do you mean in terms of proactive? I like my specifics, yasee. Try to go for all the sweeps with more speed and power, so more like takedowns? Or?

Criticism always welcomed!

Take care,

Stalks

8. JayKayD

I was refering to the big blonde guy who fought shirtless. Yes, he is freakishly strong.

I was mainly going off that match, there seemed like a lot of opportunities for you to sweep him, for instance sometimes his free foot was right by your head. It looked like you just needed to go for it.

Anyway, i just watched a few more and your half guard is pretty solid (im only picking up on it because its one of my favourite positions too), it just seems to be in that fight you're quite passive.

9. Stalkachu

I hear you on the 'freakishly strong' part. My teammate (who fights Middle-Heavy) told me before we fought that this guy was really strong. And this is coming from a strong guy two weight classes above me. @_@ One hole in my game is the sweeps when the free leg is up there. Everytime I go for them, I end up back in some stupid position having not achieved all that much. But need to drill that one a bit more too.

And in that one fight I was passive because I was worried about getting passed. I never had him under real control, so I didn't wanna go for a sweep I didn't think I would get. Although towards the end I let him pass so I could try for the armbar from side control (since at that stage, positional points didn't count) which nearly worked, but...no. Sniff.

Cheers for the comments. See you at SENI? ^_^

Take care,

Stalks

10. Stalkachu

*bump* for Coupe Suisse videos.

Take care,

Stalks

11. Stalkachu

*bump* for Combat Academy videos and gogoplata. ^_-

Take care,

Stalks

12. jamie1976

jamie1976 Valued Member

love the hugging!!

dont worry about the hugging hugging is a good thing i do lots an lots of hugging if i dont know if a can beat my apponent it jus wears them down then when they're weak and tired go for it the only thing i can see that needs brushing up is keeping the guard or just improve on keeping the half gaurd and work in that instead of from anywhere else but remember keep up the hugging lol :love:

jamie :woo:

13. Agutrot-

Agutrot- Jack of all Trades

The matches I watched you looked tired already. Work conditioning so you can have an active guard.

14. Stalkachu

I looked tired? Wow. I don't think I've ever actually been gassed in a competition fight ever, so I must look really uninspired out there. I think the problem is that I'm not much of a risk taker, so I'm not going to be throwing out wild triangles and armbars then spinning to the back. It's just not my game. I'm more methodical than that (s'why I like rubber guard so much, the stage progression etc.) so, in turn, probably less exciting.

Sorry. ^_^

Take care,

Stalks

15. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Nice one for posting those Stalks...

What is the move you keep going for here:

Combat Academy - Repechage - Final

Where you look like you're figure four'ing his arm? I've not seen it before. It looks like it somewhat nuetralizes his attack but it also looks like it leaves you in a terrible position.

16. JayKayD

I think everyone is more risk-adverse in tournaments to be honest.

17. Stalkachu

Do you mean after the omoplata where I grab the other arm and end up in the sort of crucifix position? Or?

A little confused.

Take care,

Stalks

[Edit: Or do you just mean the omoplata position? One a little while in, and once when time ran out the second time? I never got confident enough there to sit up and try and finish it, but it's a pretty solid control position if you get it in tight, and you can sweep from it or go to a number of other submissions, too.]

Last edited: May 16, 2007
  18. Stalkachu

*bump* for SENI '07 Gracie Invitational Videos!

Take care,

Stalks

19. JayKayD

Is it me, or did that guy in the semi-final try and triangle you with his legs/feet the wrong way round? He also missed an easy omoplata attempt when you were defending the triangle by wrapping your arm around his leg.

20. Atharel

Atharel Errant

the reverse triangle is a legit, if difficult, technique. Just have to finish it differently.

Nice work, Stalkachu. How do you feel about how these latest vids compare to the first ones?