Music in Other Languages, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anomandaris, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

I have recently begun listening to music in foreign languages(anything non english for me) and found some of it to be quite good, even if I dont know what is being said(see black metal broadens your musical horizons, listen to some of it and tell me in all honesty that the words bineg 'sung' are descipherable(?))

I'll admit that I have a soft spot for German lyrics(I speak some German, aber... mein Deutch ist nicht so gut) but I managed to find a band whose Lyrics are in Latin(Era) on at least some of their songs and that was...interesting...

some japanese songs are also on my playlists(anime strikes again)

to give this thread a point...

what languages do you listen to and any particular favourites for music?

2. samurai69

samurai69 New Member

I live in portugal and a lot of the music isnt much cop, but their rap type music seems to be quite good and some good stuff from brazil

Traditional FADO music is depressing

I like japanese drums (Daiko - Taiyko [sp])

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

A few years ago Japanese friend gave me a tape by this Japanese guy called O-Sama, who did a load of covers of songs by the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jimi Hendrix etc. Musically they were excellent, but the lyrics are very literal translations of the original. Which is apparantly hilarious. I don't speak Japanese, so it's a bit lost on me, but they still sound funny. After listening to it regularly for a while, the songs started to sound weird in English!

4. Tyranith

Tyranith New Member

Rammstein

5. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Sevara Nazarkhan - Uzbekistan
    Oumou Sangare - Mali
    Bjork - Iceland
    Darkthrone - Norway

Hmmmm...that's about it. Regardless of language, good music is good music.

6. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

Ffa Coffi Pawb / Super Furry Animals.....Welsh

Rammstein........German

Tidy! :D

7. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Instrumentals of course are fine, but listening to music in other languages sucks I think. (My own personal opinion)

8. Martial Alex

Martial Alex Valued Member

if you wanna hear a tune listen to tribe by the mad capsule markets AWESOM !!!

9. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

German is generally ok, not the schlagers though... I hate those.

10. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I quite like a few foreign-language bands. Loads of industrial bands sing in German; Das Ich, Wumpscutt to name just two. Other than that, I'm quite into a Norweigan black metal band called Khold right now, that's all in Norweigan. I've got a couple of No One is Innocent albums that have a few tracks in French on them too. Their English tracks are really cool, but I don't think thrash and French go together unless the sentence also features the words "the," "at," and "everything" :D

11. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Maybe you just haven't found the right musicians :D I think some music can transcend language.

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Defiantelly... I have some Russian Ska, and my English/Scotish mates love the stuff.. a band called Leningrad/Ленинград..

13. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Rammstein (German)
    tATy (Russian)

used to have some Japanese stuff floating around somewhere.... although do NOT give me the 5,6,7,8's..."Woo Hoo" from the KBV1 soundtrack has got to be one the most irritating songs of all time.

14. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Woo Hoo, Woo Hoo Hoo... LOL.. yeah, tell me about it..

15. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I think you mean, tATu (2 girls right ???)... ;)

16. Anomandaris

Anomandaris New Member

any particular reason you dislike it? lack of understanding? rythmic wierdness?

try listening to black metal in English and you'll understand maybe 1 word in each stanza...you'll appreciate foreign music far more when you cant even get music in your native toungue!

17. Humblebee

Humblebee PaciFIST's evil twin

mwng super furries welsh
    anything by sigur ros icelandic
    gorkys welsh

18. far3

far3 New Member

ram

Rammstein :)

19. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

BoA