Music benafits?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by kyokutsuki, Jun 24, 2006.

1. kyokutsuki

kyokutsuki Valued Member

Is it true that listenin 2 music can improve your proformance?

Weather its kata, kumite or just before a game of footie with the lads ?

I see music being brought into all aspects of fitness these days, from dance music at the gym or just the odd runner with a MP3.

When i was at a karate tornument i noticed that all the adult fighters that wer warming up , were listening to music!

Soo whats the secerate?

And if it i really benifical what kind of tempo is better, fast? slow?

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Doing a pilates/yoga workout maybe a slow tempo with holding the last possition till the music finaly peters out. We usualy have new agey tipe music in the dojo when training but it's just a background. Doing weights in the gym a good rock station or something with loads of women on it keeps your mind on track for pushing out that last difficult rep.

3. I always train to music at home. It takes my mind off how tired I am. It makes me feel energetic and it just makes the time fly. Before you know it you've been working two hours and your exhausted.

Before "fights" [Term used loosely considering TKD is probably closer to ballet than fighting!] I listen to anything with strong lyrics and beat. Eye of the Tiger is too cliche. :p But Europe's "The Final Countdown" and Queen's "We are the Champions" are songs that really get me ready to take my foot and tap somebody lightly on the stomach and score 2 points! :D

4. ReeceM

ReeceM New Member

We listen to rap or thai music when we train at my gym. Music can make me feel loads of different ways some songs can make me happy and stuff like that but some really seem to get adrenaline flowing and can make me feel indestructible that can't be bad before a fight. Stuff by Muse is good for that especially the song hyper music.

5. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

I think music helps a lot I mean if you look at pro MMA fighters their always listening to music before their fights. But you got to find music that is right for you and gona get you in the right mood.

6. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

I don't listen to music when i train. It takes away from my practice. Music is for aerobics or tae bo.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Music is a traditional aspect of several martial arts practices, including but not limited to arnis and capoeira.

So while it may take away from YOUR practice, it's NOT just for aerobics or taebo.

8. hunter_kaval

hunter_kaval The Ronin

Well your in the mionority then as the right a lot of people listen to music when they train. I mean sean sherk listens to music wen he trains do you whant to tell him he does aerobics or tae bo :D

9. mai tai

mai tai Valued Member

my gym we blare music....rap, rock , metal

good points energy and focus

bad point ...hard to hear verbal tapouts

10. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

To be honest, I'm pretty much oblivious to what's going on in the background when I'm sparring so any music would be wasted on me. Same for training generally. I don't really get "pumped up" for training or competition - I just train or compete.

11. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Valued Member

I don't normally listen to much music before a fight or anything. I normally can just block everything out and i will go into almost a meditative state. But i think i might need something at the world champs coming up. I'm gonna need something to stop me from freaking out.

12. TraditionalTKD

TraditionalTKD New Member

We don't use music in our classes because you need to be focused to prevent accidents. Hard to concentrate on the other guy when you have music in the background. Our demo team uses music, but that's the Hollywood aspect of Tae Kwon Do, not traditional training.

13. Sever

Sever Valued Member

My kickboxing club has music on - usually the local dance station or something :mad: I don't find I get "pumped" or anything while we have music on there and my concentration doesn't suffer, my instructor basically has it playing quietly in the background to help keep the class feeling informal which he's very big on. My ju jistu class sometimes has music on, but that's entirely dependant on whether the instructor remembers to bring the CD player
    Before demos or competition, I'm always sat down with my MP3 player, usually with some Lamb of God, Caliban, Hatebreed or American Head Charge playing; anything loud, angry and with a groove to get me in the mood. I tend to listen to metal or industrial while doing bagwork (Front Line Assembly's "Civilization" and Hocico's "Odio Bajo el Alma" CDs are the mainstays right now) and when I'm lifting weights I tend to have more ambient music playing like Gridlock's "Trace" album or Digitally Imported's Chillout station to help me relax while I'm resting between sets

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've never found music distracting. But even if I did, I think the ability to focus despite distractions is a good ability to develop in the dojang.