Mushroom workout LOLs

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mushroom, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

(OK not in order)

Leg squats (machine) 10bars.... x10x3
    Leg squats - 50kg x8x3
    Calves - 25kg x15x3
    Hamstring curls x 10 x3

Tricep curls 7.5kg x10x2
    Individual bicep curls 10kg x10x3
    Double becep curls 10kg x10x2
    Olympic bar only curls x10x2
    Tricep pull downs ( ^ bar) x10x3
    " " " individual, narrow grip x10x3

ruined with 1/2 chicken nandos, halumi cheese, chips and coleslaw. (didnt have breakfast)

2. Mushroom

OK, only NOW my calves hurting......blows

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The chips and coleslaw combined are much less fattening than the mash (trust me i worked there).
    you should have got corn and peas.

4. Mushroom

last couple times I ordered corn, I got charcoal...

5. Mangosteen

Really? usually they dont even get even some char on it?

6. Mushroom

personally I think the microwave was just on too high :p

OK, back on MT today!

7. Mangosteen

How was MT?
    Heavy conditioning or skills today?

8. Mushroom

First time since January due to injury. Knee wobbled again a bit, which freaked me out and is still sore.

Just went over basics again and a bit of sparring.

9. Mushroom

Bench Press - bar only 20x2
    Bench Press - 40kg x15 x2
    Bench Press - 50kg x 8 x3

Incline Chest Press - 10kg x 10 x3
    Incline Chest Press - bar only x20

Standing Cable pull (downwards) - 12 x 3
    Standing Cable pull (upwards) - 12x3

Normal push ups, laddering totalling about 50.....that was a killer.

10. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

What's your rationale behind such a high number of reps?

11. Mushroom

It's a good round number?

As said before, I've got a lot of strength to catch up on and also getting the technique in. The weights at this weights also is when I'm failing at about 10/11.

People I can throw, weights not so much, so bare with me. Soon I'll do short reps at max. But let me get my base in first ;)

12. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I would highly recommend you consider a lifting program like Wendler 5/3/1.

http://www.strstd.com/

When you train, you need to think of the energy systems used in the muscles and the type of muscle fibers you are training. I am not sure that your current lifting program is the most efficient time spend for you. A program like the Wendler one is awesome. It is simple, takes all the guess work out of training and if followed to the letter will provide you with much more improvement than you probably can do on your own. It will also force you to train in a periodized method specific to your current level of conditioning. It is like having a lifting trainer without paying for one.

I assume you are lifting right now to improve your total body strength. If not, I would be curious to know your specific goals.

13. Mushroom

Cool thanks for that.

Yes I am just generally trying to improve strength. As said I am up against big wrestlers, and its hard for me to cut size as I normally walk around at 85kg (have gone down to 79kg once but that was with 30days of living in 40' heat).

I am essentially experimenting what works for me at the moment. I have my MT coach, who is also a good friend of mine training me. So he has a personal understanding of my diet/schedule/general health, so I trust his decisions.

In hindsight, I really shouldve started weight training years ago, I've done some but not as much as I should. Always relied on technique and speed. I'm not a small build either (5'11) and never really been overweight (ie fat).

Essential goal is to obvious put myself in a best physical condition I can to step into a ring and start competing again. Especially in regards to my injuries....I also have a little physical project planned which would test me to the limit. But keeping that hush hush at the moment ;)

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Well if you compete in weight classes, things get tricky. Generally speaking the first gains you get in a strength training program are neuromuscular adaptation. Basically your nerve system learns to recruit your muscles in a more efficient way and you can lift more and more weight in this manner. There comes a point where you need to physically grow your muscles to get stronger. If you do that, you need to eat enough to support that growth. You will also put on some fat by doing this "bulk". So you need to decide your weight class. If you are in the largest weight class, then go for it. If you want to drop a weight class, then you need to eat less and train to lose weight. They are two opposing things.

I would once again strongly suggest you try Wendler and do so at maintenance calorie levels over and over again until you find that you can't keep up with the program and are not making strength gains (then you will need to eat more). You may very well be at a point where you can get significant gains in strength while staying at the same weight and Wendler will do that for you. Here is a calorie calculator to help:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  15. Mushroom

Yeah I already compete in Freestyle Wrestling at 84kg, missed out this year's comps due to injuries.
    Had initially planned for 2 class B MT fights for roughly this time, but injuries etc screwed me over...

16. Mushroom

didnt post yesterdays an stupidly havent noted down all the work.

(Back)

Chin Ups
    Bent over rows
    Individual pull downs

Theres one training...you place the Olympic bar on the ground, all the weight is on one side and you bend over and pull > chest. Whats that called?

17. Mushroom

Today ( shoulders )

Seated military press - 10kg x8x3
    - 7.5kg x8x2*

Shoulder shrugs - 80kg(with bar) - 8x3
    Lateral raise - bar only - 7x3
    Cross over cable pulls - 5kg 10x3
    Standing Flies - 5kg 8x3

*my left shoulder gave up on me for some reason so had to work through it. All good now though

18. Mangosteen

I cant remember either but its similar to a deadlift right?

http://photobucket.com/images/Powertec+T-Bar+Row+Deadlift/

Like that but with a barbell?

i think its called a dead lift row

19. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I think you are talking about the T-bar rowM. Injuries suck, hope you are doing better.

20. Mushroom