MT, Karate, and Kung Fu

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Wilson, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

hello everyone.

A couple buddies and I are setting up a sparring match for my friends birthday hes turning 16.
    I do Muay Thai and MMA (I wiegh about 150 lbs and counting, and have been doing MT for about 1-2 months)
    My friend has been doing Kenpo for 4 years (purple belt) and wieghs 210 lbs but mostly fat
    My second friend has been doing Shoalin Chuan Kung Fu and wieghs about 160 lbs

I have sparred with my Kenpo friend 3 times and he loves to use his legs, however i feel he is weak in his punches and If I train hard enough I could beat him. I have not yet sparred with my Kung Fu friend but hopfully next by next weekend that will change.

now on to the point, my friends and I are very competetive so I was wondering if somone could give me some pointers such as what to watch out for in each style. maybe point out a somthing in a style that i could take advantage of and or watch out for. When I was sparring with my Kenpo friend I noticed in his stance he leaves his face WIDE OPEN he puts his right hand in his chamber (slightly above his waste line) and his left hand above his lead leg straightened out. as for the stance for my kung fu friend, i have no idea what to expect so yeah... I also have a hieght/reach advantage too (I am 6'2 and am at least 2-5 inches taller than my friends) and along side of my hieght and reach advantage I am a southpaw so if there are any strategies that anyone could possibly think of that would be great.

-thanks

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

wait isnt this an exact copy of a thread you posted a little while back?

3. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

not quite, in that thread my Kung Fu friend was bashing MT and I was also asking glove/rules and protien shakes.

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

So it's not a sparring session, it's a fight. You don't 'win' sparring, well, unless you count learning stuff winning.

5. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Your 6'2" and 150lbs!? *EDIT- Oh right, you were the guy asking for advice on weight gain a while ago...*

What MMA training have you done, any takedown/groundwork?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  6. Just make sure you film it and post it. That way you win! our friendship

7. rex00

rex00 Banned Banned

If you have any grappling or ground work experiance just take him onto the ground (if your not fighting on a pavement) and finish him off, you don't do grappling or grappling defence in kung fu.

8. Wilson

Wilson Valued Member

we plan to be on grass unless he cleans out his garage and puts mats down.My mma training has taught alot on what to do from gaurd and side mount, I'm not to familair with takedowns because they have a special day for takedowns which I usually won't be able to make it too, however we did work on a few takedowns which I do remember fairly well.

About the not being a sparring session I dont know what to call it, but were not trying to knock eachother out so I really wouldnt consider it a fight.
    Anyways my karate friend for some reasons tells me I am not allowed to go to the ground? I am sure my Kung Fu friend wont mind if we go to the ground. So I am suppose to do standup with my karate friend which he loves to use kicks, anyone have any advice with him?

9. New Guy

New Guy I am NEW.

Organising a "sparring session" at YOUR FRIEND'S birthday and you would want to BEAT them?? You want to **** off the birthday boy or something? If that's the case, do GOTO the ground, that's surely ****es him off!!

10. chrispy

chrispy The Hunter

if the guy has good kicks but weak hands I would suggest getting in too close for hiim to use kicks and beat him with punches.

11. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

I don't think you need to worry too much about your Shaolin Quan friend. Unless he has another name for it, I suspect he does not train a legitimate traditional system. And fraud systems rarely pressure test their skills, because that make their shortcomings too apparent.

Your Kenpo friend uses his legs at lot? That might be a problem if you attempt wild takedowns. You need to be careful there not to stay in his kicking range too much, yet you need to be certain not to end up too close, as he is a lot heavier than you and can probably shove you quite a bit. Basically, I suggest you remain outside his kicking range and learn to bypass his kicks to get into punching range; kinda hit-and-run. Good ways to bypass kicks would be counter-kicking, lifting the knee and going forward, having a forward guard (with the kind of guards you might use in Muay Thai, this is not very convenient. Having your arms in front of you help if you want to stop his kicks before they gain considerable momentum. The time before he recovers from his blocked kick is enough for you to move in to punching range or attempt a takedown if he allows it).

If he allows takedown, catching his kicks might be worth it. I seem to recall it being trained a bit in Muay Thai, isn't it?

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

you've been doing MT for 2 months and your mate has been doing Kempo for 4 years...I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you are gonna get pranged.

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

YEP :D

For the kicker - work on your kick checks, and work his thighs. Get to a range where you can use both leg kicks and punches and stay there, and batter him relentlessly.

Just find your range and use it, and play your game no matter who you are fighting.

14. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

RFOL Lhahahahah most definately RFOL :D

15. Kintanon

Kintanon Valued Member

vs kickers

Either abuse your reach advantage by keeping him back with kicks of your own, or get kissing distance and punch him repeatedly in the head. Or both.
    What you DON'T want to do is stay in his range and let him direct the match with his kicks.

Kintanon