Mozilla Firefox 0.9

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by hongkongfuey, Jun 26, 2004.

1. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

Just a shout to anyone out there not currently playing with the Firefox browser from Mozilla.

It's better than IE in so many ways that I'd really recommend anyone that spends time on the net checks it out. IE 6 came out around 3 years ago, and has not changed an awful lot in 3 years - Mozilla is at the cutting edge of browser technology.

In particular if you are a bit of a geek at heart, then there are a whole series of extensions to add powerful features to it. For example there is a developer extension that is just fantastic for anyone working with HTML.(One of it's features is allowing you to change CSS in the page you are currently viewing and see the results instantly.)

There is also a lot of stuff for non geeks, such as being able to change the look of the browser through skins, and opening new windows in tabs. It's also a reasonably small download at 4.7Mb. Best of all, it's completely free.

If anyone else has been using it, then add your comments as well.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

2. Shou Tu

Shou Tu New Member

OH man i have been using it since it came out. I love the Auto pop up blocker.

it speeds up internet experience. loads pages quicker without the whole internet speed up program thing a ma ghigs.

I give it a 10 out of 10 for whats on the market today.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

definately better than IE, pop-up blocker is cool, so is the search box thing next to the address bar :)

4. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

submit that to bugzilla so someone can do something about it. i had a similar problem with a specific extension in firefox 0.8 on my linux partition. i couldn't find the program directory to manually remove the extension so i gave up.

5. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

My god i'm jumping to the defence of IE but it now supports pop-up blocking with msn toolbar it also has the search function there

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Uncle Bill would be proud of you. :D :eek: :D

7. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

nah...too busy counting money to notice that we have been able to put other companies' toolbars onto IE for years that do all that and more. still, it's a start

8. Mo Lung

Mo Lung Hard work!

I'm a new convert. IE also bugged me and now I wish I started using this browser years ago. I especiialy like the way you can bookmark a whole collection of tabbed web pages and open them all with a single click. Top stuff!

9. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

I've just installed it today ...... and I like it! :cool:

Cheers. :)

10. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

My god mate - You've just taught me something new about IT! That's a fantastic feature - well spotted. It could really change how I use the web.

You can fix your own PC from now on! ;)

Now at version 0.91 for all you converts.

11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Well spotted! I only installed Firefox yesterday and it gave me 0.9.

Just downloaded and installed 0.9.1.

Cheers. :)

12. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

I downloaded it yesterday, and I think I like it best of all the browsers, after making it a little bit prettier with a nice theme. I just discovered that I can have a shortcut to MAP on the links bar :D My favourite site is now just one click away :D

13. WhiteWizard

Isn't it your homepage anyway :eek: :D

14. booksie_girl

*looks ashamed* It's a family computer, and the rest of the family doesn't quite see MAP the same way I do...

15. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

User profiles? :eek:

16. booksie_girl

Yeah, everyone uses mine :(

17. WhiteWizard

passwords are wonderful things :D

18. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

nar, set the taskbar to auto-hide and hide the desktop icons, then wait for the fun to begin :D

19. booksie_girl

WW, I'd actually have to make my parents' logs work, and then log out every time I left the computer, way too much effort.

Gaskell, hmmm... now that's an idea :D:D

20. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Even better,,, go into the Graphics card settings and set it to rotate the display 180 degrees, then set the mouse to Super fast and switch the left and right buttons round...

Sit back and watch Chaos unfold :)