Most useful grappling art?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Adam, Sep 24, 2003.

1. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

DISCLAIMER: I still think Seagull would beat me. I just think I could make it a pretty difficult task for him.

2. atlien

atlien New Member

That is exactly what I am sayin'. The correct sabaki movement is imperative to unleash your tojido offensive. And what Mild7 and I know that you guys don't is that Aikido is the only grappling art where you can be trained to throw lightning and sonic booms at your opponents so you will be able to compete with good stand-up guys like Ryu and Rayden. I mean if BJJ was so could how come they never enter the WWE or win in Mortal Kombat 2.

3. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

damn straight atlien.

BJJ is a good art, but it has NEVER proven itself for streetfighting against 5 thugs armed with guns and knives.

I asked my frend who does BJJ what he'd do if 5 guys on PCP pulled out weapons and threatened him. He told me he'd either give them what they wanted or run away.

MAN, I don't want to hear that crap! That's why I did Aikido. My sensei, who has a cool ponytail told me that with good movement, it is even easier to fight multiple opponents than just one guy. And our techniqs are DEVASTATING. One turn can snap someone's limb. But it is too deadlyfying to be used normally, so we never do it for real in training. But sensei promised us, that in a real situation, I could use it to break the arm of a guy holding an M-16 in an instant. Yeah!

SO yes, BJJ is good. But only for situations where you have a reasonable chance of winning. But for guys like me who demand the UNREASONABLE, aikido all the way!!! I'm still waiting for my oppurtunity to snap the wrist of someone pointing an AK-47 at me, so I can be like my other Aikido friends who have similar street experiences. I hope my turn comes soon.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

ROFLMAO - Dude, NO martial art prepares you for that. Unless you're on a games console.

5. totality

totality New Member

actually, my martial art prepares you for that. well, it couldn't prepare any of you mere mortals...but if i were there, they'd all be dead in the blink of 3 eyes. maybe 4 if one of them was really tall.

6. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

hi guys.

As I type this I am in hospital. After typing out that post, I got psyched up so I went out by myself to pick a fight with a neighborhood gang. (just like Seagal does in the movies... SWEEET!!)

Anyway, the doc tells me I'll be ok. The bullet went through the jaw so there is no brain damage. Also, the broken ribs and arm will heal... I KNEW I should have used the shihogatame instead of the kotegaeshi against the baseball bat!! Also, my ear has been chopped off by a machete( I had bad timing with the kubi-nage) but then again, I never really liked my ears anyway.

Ooooooh... you have no idea how much this all hurts. I wish I could go into surgery now but the doc says he'll keep me in the ward for a while. At least there's internet here.

By Sensei just came to visit me. He told me that it was a close fight. At least I'm still alive, and so yes, Aikido is for the STREET!!

....... Ok I'm back again. I just threw a cup at the other guy across the ward who said Aikido was for Queer Street. What does he know about REAL fighting anyway.

My sensei promised me that after I get out of hospital, he'd show me even better moves so I can take on the other gang in the neighboorhood, the guys that all pack Uzis and Machineguns. They'll be NO match for my Aikido!!!

Yoda,
    what do you mean by games console. We practice our art like that all the time, against guys with swords even. IT is really REAL combat. Of course, we cooperate in training, but on the STREET, we speed it up and suddenly we kill our opponents. It really is Sweet.

7. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

J/K

aikido is a nice MA. just havin fun so don't ban me pls.

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Yoda, I mild was being sarastic....even more so than you :D:D:D

Damn! Mild had me going there for a whole page until I read his posts more closely :D

|Cain|

9. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

wrestling. once you learn not to belly down you'll do fine. gnp.

10. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

So was I :D

Obviously at a level above your congnitive threshold :D

11. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-Ahem, back to the topic at hand. For ground work, I personally prefer FranK Shamrock's stuff as it relies on movement and flows well to and from other ranges. Since a lot of it can easily seriously injure a partner in training if students let there egos get in the way, we mostly teach BJJ (as it is safer in practice). As far as judo goes, when I have worked w/ some Olympic team members and Mike Swain, it has been most impressive and effective. (some lesser practitioners have impressed me less).
    -For more stand up grappling, hapkido and small circle JJ.(Lately, it seems that too many lose sight of the importance of stand up grappling and redirections. I feel ground fighting is a neccesary skill, but in a real fight, it would be a last resort-and I am really good at it). IMO aikido is a good system for redirections and can be a good secondary system.
    -P.S.-Regarding the Segal/LeBell thing. Because it is bad for business (stunt men/choreographers KO'ing major stars on the set), Gene LeBell will play this one down, but I have a colleague who was there on the set; according to him, it really happened. In fact, he told me about it right after they finished shooting before any stories started circulating.

12. Sambo Master

Sambo Master Banned Banned

Sambo is the best no argument because it hase pretty much everything. and in a street fight you wouldnt drop on the floor and put o street fighter in ur gurd like in ju-jitsu would you.

13. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

actually, i don't think many BJJers would just flop to the guard out of choice on the street.

it is a common BJJ tactic to use knee on stomach in a streetfight. See Renzo/Royler's book on BJJ for an example.

14. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Best use Knee on face/neck not on stomach,
    as knee on Stomach ride leaves YOU open to getting a Jubillee Twist or a staunch up and under in the Nads....Them Gracie's should know better!

15. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

Well.... the knee on stomach should be done in an appropriate way. That is, with overhook/elbow control on the near arm to prevent the jubilee twist. This is the correct posture that the Gracies emphasize.

Does'nt work? tell that to the JKD schools who have incorporated this.

Curious about the knee on face though. Could be effective, but does'nt that further expose the groin? (as you can't control the near arm?)

16. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Didn't say that it didn't work,
    just that it's dodgy and just because JKD schools adopt something only means that THEY like it, doesn't mean that it's gospel though does it? I don't believe that they have the monopoly on realism...whatever that is.

Besides I often get the impression that certain elements of the JKD fraternity are making it up as they go along.....LOL

Any one of those Knee On positions is wide open if you make a mistake, or it's sweaty slippy and you lose control of the arm (insert other scenarios here). There's that lovely Groinal walloping just waiting to happen...K On Stomach is the most inviting to a counter from below.

Knee on Face is same sort of thing as Knee on Stomach Ride, 'cept it works if you are more side on (say out in a Side Mount type position for example), gaining control of his near arm, quickly up and knee him in the head with your 'lead' leg and then bar your shin across his face, with a drop ala the Muay Thai Block/ Shin Drop strike (But from close not from high).

Only prob with that is you are off balance if you use say yr left leg and can be hauled over if you go too far across, coming in from his right (If he's on his back) and if you use yr right, you definitely must again have control of his near side arm to avoid getting your dangly bits rotated.

But Hell, why bother, why not just be up on your feet and kick him a few times, then run away?

Best Grappling Art-Cumberland Wrestling,
    they've definitely got the best Cozzies.

17. atlien

atlien New Member

Holy Sh1t!!!
    Mild7, you must have a really bad Aikido teacher because after one year of training he should have taught you how to catch bullets in your teeth. Obviously it wasn't the Aikido that failed in this situation, it was your lack of practicing the basic Aikido technique of defending gunshots with your teeth.

18. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

LOL @ atlien!

Sokklab,
    good points! whatever the case I do feel that whoever does use Knee on stomach MUST be prepared for an attempted groinal smack.

However, having been the recepient of the knee on stomach, I can see how when in the right hands, it is incredibly effective. We had a guy who came in once who'd competed in the Mundials, when he put me in it there was no way in hell I could wriggle my near arm out (the counter requires the near arm to push away the leg, he was'nt going to let that happen!!)

Knee on stomach is an incredibly punishing hold down. I feel that it is worth using, but you need to have very solid skills and basics.

But you're right, kick downed guy and run is probably what I'd do in a dark alley.