Most Powerful Countries

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Angelus, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Angelus

Angelus Waiting for summer :D

What do you guys think are the 5 most powerful countries in the world?
    :D :woo: :bang: :woo: :D
    Please list from most to least powerful

2. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

in terms of what? military might, political sway, economics... although i would probably put america at the top of all those lists the countries coming after would be different i think. and it also depends where you live. americas power has little relevance to those who are not affected by it

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

This thread could quickly go down hill.

Though, just my two cents- you have to put China somewhere in there. They are definately starting to throw their weight around more effectively. Too bad about that whole organ selling scandel starting to blow up in their faces finally though.

4. Angelus

Overall - including military, economy and political sway.
    I was gonna say military power only but economy and political influence is just as important.

5. Angelus

Lol i hope it doesnt lol i just want to know what ppl think...there really isint anything negative in it :D

6. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Could probably start with the G8.

Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, UK, US, Russia. China would have to be included.

I'd put it down to;

US, China, UK, France and Russia.

Bear in mind that Japan, Canada and Germany have little or no military power.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  7. DragonSpawn

DragonSpawn Ronin

United States (first only bc of political influence)
    China (military, and now economic)
    Russia (still up there)
    Japan (huge financially)
    India (you'd be surprised)

8. JayKayD

JayKayD Meet my friend PAIN!

Explain to me how India is one of the most powerful countries in the world.

By the way, here is a list of countries according to the highest GDP;

US
    Japan
    Germany
    China
    UK

9. Angelus

Second largest standing army in the world. Nuclear weapons. One of the worlds most powerful economies ... after US and China. Many people in America are losing their jobs... those jobs are going to China and India because of higher level of education and cheaper labor. Just do a little bit of research ... you really will be suprised.

LOL you guys should remember Saudi Arabia... they hold a chunk of American Economy. People working in the stock market will tell you that if Saudi Arabia were to sell off its share of the american market it could lead to another Great Depression.

I dont see Germany and Japan as being powerful countries.... Though they are wealthy nations, they cannot have more than a couple thousand soldiers and they dont really have the power to influence other countries very much.
    Japan is unbelievable rich though lol.... however all the tech advancements in japan - eg. robotic tech. are funded by japanese companies but are developed in the US. Toyota and Honda have been unveiling alot of their prototypes ...almost all of them were created in US universities like MIT.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

They have TONS of influence, and Japan has the US (and a good deal of European) manufacturers running scared.

But look at what companies funded the research and the nationality of the students who carried out said research (I'm an Engineer, I notice these things).

11. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

America
    Japan
    China
    Uk
    Germany

Australia and Newzealand will one day take over the world though ;).

12. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think china comes directly after america (and will soon be ahead of them) whatever criteria you set. this is why our govt is getting in bed with the chinese instead of the americans.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

This thread is pointless unless you clearly define power and list each country accordingly with the info to back it up.

Threads like this usually descend into rampant nationalism.

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I think you might want to readjust your timeline. There is the China of the media and PR reports and there is the reality on the ground in China. The two are eons apart.

Everyone at the moment is jumping in bed with China because they want access to it's consumer markets and it's cheap manufacturing labor. New Zealand is no different.

15. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

i think youll find that NZ is the most powerful country on the planet. we just havent let on about it.

yet

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

The answer is of course... Switzerland.

Think about it: a small country with great wealth that requires (virtually) no standing army to preserve it's independance.

(Although we 'kicked ass' in the Middle Ages. :cool: )

It's been militarily neutral for donkey's years, but while wars raged all round it, no one dared touch it.

Now that is real power.

17. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

yeah im not sure the fact that nobody can even be bothered invading your country is something to brag about. even POLAND was worth conquering.

18. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Looks like yet another post went sailing straight over your head. :D

Bless. ;)

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You just shot down Ikken...a new reign has begun.