Most complete Martial Art

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by humblegojuguy, Dec 19, 2003.

1. humblegojuguy

humblegojuguy New Member

What is the most complete TRADITIONAL martial art to defend oneself from an attacker ? Keep in mind that most attackers do not know a Martial art. I want only traditional martial arts not Mixed martial arts or some martial art that some guy made up that no one has ever heard of. When i say defend oneself I mean save your own life in a fight, not controlling a friend who is drunk or anything like that. This attacker wants to kill you or at least hurt you very bad. Give reasons for your choice of which Martial art you choose. Put in any links to your sites if you have any I would love to check out your site no matter style it is. Goju-ryu rocks. Thanks

2. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

Unarmed: JuJitsu.

Armed: Kali.

*If I were to choose just one.

3. kempocos

kempocos Valued Member

Any of the core OKINAWIAN kararte styles, They have the striking as well as the grappling, wrestling from the original OKINAWIAN TE . The Chinese influences such as WHITE CRANE that is at the core of many OKINAWIAN styles such as GOJU helps with the movement keeping it fluid and not so stiff. The concepts of KYUSHO ( PREASSURE POINT / VITAL POINT ) , TUITE /TODI ( grab hand / joint manipulation). It also depends on the INSTRUCTOR have they keep true to the old mind set of training for combat, or has the tournament side caused the style to add flahy kicks and reinvent the KATA to look good for the judges.

I currently traoin in RYUKYU KEMPO , but we work with a GOJU instructor who is very good his site may interest you since you study GOJU http://www.uskenshikai.com/

4. Disciple

Disciple New Member

Hap Ki Do

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

With no disrespect intended, I don't think you can take the easy way and say that any particular STYLE will help you beat people, protect buddies from drunks, or save your life. In the end, it comes down to you and how hard you prepare yourself.

If a person thinks it is as easy as finding one super style, check out the ads in some magazine... ranging from mountain man fighting styles to famer joe boxing (or whatever)... they all promise "no-nonsense techniques that will let you wipe out any opponent".

The responsibility is on you. Find a school that teaches effective, practical skills and tests them. Find a school that encourages testing your abilities and when you find deficiencies, learn the skills you need through cross training or harder practice in your own system. It doesn't matter what the name of the style is, what matters is how hard the practioner trains him or herself to be ready.

6. ptcruiser

ptcruiser New Member

Re: Re: Most complete Martial Art

7. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

I'll refrain from answering this so i dont cause an argument.
    most of us are probably just going to say our own styles anyway

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

You don't actually need to do a Traditional Martial Art, you should find a teacher to teach you Practical Unarmed Combat.

Nice and Simple, straight to the point, doesn't take Five Years to be able to work the basics etc.

You see the two things, Self-Protection and Martial Arts are often seperate entities.

Alot of 'Martial Arts' are pretty useless for defending yourself with, because they make Rocket Science out of something that is relatively simple.

In a self-protection scenario, you'll only really be able to use basics anyway, as you'll be so shot up with adrenaline that you'll be flailing about like a Jellyfish on a Bar-B-Q. So core techniques are the thing for you, for Survival that is.

There are many reasons other than purely self-protection to study a Traditional Martial Art, but you don't seem to want those, so I won't go into them here.

9. shunyadragon

shunyadragon New Member

Frank

The purpose of the most complete TRADITIONAL Art of the Way knew nothing of Martial Arts but taught the disaplines of simplicity and the stances, movements and mudra of Buddhism to avoid violence not to confront violence with violence. There was no name for these Arts. Later they were called Chuan Fa, the Way of the Fist.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  10. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I may sound conceited, but I must say Tang Soo Do. Yes, I practice that, but it's also very good. It teaches simplicity and logic in its moves. I've learned punches, kicks, blocks, a few ground moves, some locks and holds, and weapons.

But, Tang Soo Do teaches, as with any TMA, to AVOID a confrontation. I've been taught to run from a fight if at all possible. Not to stay and fight.

11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I have to respectfully disagree with that. Kali teaches both of those. When it comes down to it Kali (and most of the FMA and Indonesian Martial Arts) are amoung the most complete systems out there.

Most lay folks think of Kali as a stick based system. More experienced practitioners think of it as blade/knife based. But man, it's empty hand stuff is equally good. Because all if it's weapons work is training the practioner for open hand attacks. Plus the mindset of training prepares the person for facing an armed opponent right from the get go.

Add in the fact that the FMA's at high levels treat the leg just like an arm (ie. if you can apply a lock with your arm, you can do it with your legs) and you've got a system of grappling in there too (man do those folks love to break necks).

If I wasn't studying what I am now, I would have no problems learning Kali for the next ten-fifteen years. And if I did I'd be confident that it would give me everything I need to survive just about any conflict scenario I could be put into.

- Matt

12. TenaciousD

TenaciousD New Member

My thoughts would be on Ju-Jitsu. I've been taught it was the 'original' cross-training system. Covers all ranges, standup, standing clinch, ground. Has excellent control techniques as well as superb finishing techniques.

13. RobP

RobP Valued Member

I've not trained in or seen anyhting as comprehensive as systema. It works from a base of principle rather than technique so is very adaptable. All types of work are covered, plus it is very good vs multiple attackers. Add in weapons work, health exercises, psychological work - and the fact that it is very much still a "living" art practiced by people at the sharp end.

14. Naked Weapon

Naked Weapon New Member

hey guys. i would have to say jujitsu as well, even though i study it i may seem a bit ibas but i beleive it holds the key factors to main self defense. If i was armed it would be iaido for me. any of you seen 'kill bill'? i have alot of confidence when it comes to my jujitsu style, i also do kung fu wushu but i hold my jujitsu in good stead. thanks!
    -----
    Lex williamz, live by the sword,die by the sword!

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Ummm... ok... I'm just in a mood. Iaido is a great art. And I know you said this was for you. But please understand that Iaido is not a complete weapons self defense art. Not at all. Not even close.

The reason I had to write that is just so that is just so you don't close you mind off to other martial arts and think you've already hit the pinnacle. Weapons don't start and stop with the Katana (and even if they did there are other Katana arts in which the training is more complete).

- Matt

16. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Iaijutsu and kenjutsu together would be good for a non-projectile weapons art, but let's face it, if we're talking about modern day weapons the best thing to learn would be pistol marksmanship.

17. Olorin

Olorin New Member

Hwa Rang Do.

Comprehensive martial art. Punching/kicking, joint locks, weapons, ground work, and basically everything else in any martial art.

18. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

May I suggest.....

Pencak Silat - Punching, kicking, sweeps, traps, locks, going to the ground, and lots of weapons. :D

19. dustIn credible

dustIn credible Valued Member

Chin Na, Hapkido, or hung gar

20. Topher

Topher allo!

I think the only was you can determind if an art is complete is to look at what you want out of it. JuJutsu may be a good grappeling art, but if you want a weapons training, it useless.