Mormonism

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by vampyregirl, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Belief has little to do with it. There's an official story which is supposed to be the truth, but then you have other versions written by Smith himself that are dramatically different.

2. vampyregirl

vampyregirl Moved on

Lanny Bell, a non LDS Egyptologist agrees with Joseph Smith in that it is indeed a live body on the alter. Bell points out that the "Egyptologists" who denounced the Book of Abraham as a fraud had no credentials as Egyptologists. However he can't confirm that it is Abrajam on the alter, only a live body. LDS critics got it wrong when they found it to be an Egyptian funeral procession.
    Who told these different versions? Joseph Smith himself only told one version. Other versions told were rumors or propaganda started by his enemies.
    Joseph Smith was not perfect, he was just a man. He could be disobedient, and that was before he was shown the plates.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

So much fail in one belief system.......

Searching for proof of faith is actually heretical you do know that don't you? "God says so ergo it is" does not require proof, especialy not the desparate weak justification on very minor points whilst ignore the massive holes

But hey, if you want to follow the made-up teachings of a fraud then I can't stop you - just don;t expect the poor level of proof that you offer to satisfy anyone that has not put their reason on hold

4. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Kuma, I don't agree with what is being said, I am simply explaining how in the minds of believers you can have more than one version and each of them is true.

Orwell defined it best in 1984 in the newspeak word doublethink.

5. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

No credentials as Egyptologists, really? Theodule Deveria was considered an expert on funerary texts of his day and was the head Egyptologist at the Louvre, which doesn't just take anyone off the street and give a department. Most of the other critics were Egyptology department heads all over the world. And who exactly was Larry Bell and his stellar credentials?

http://bibtruth.com/abrah.html

Why is the Book of Abraham also dated over 1500 years after Abraham supposedly existed and wrote it? One example from the above page:

Then too, there are several proper names mentioned in this book that only came into being after Abraham's time. The title "Pharaoh," (used in the same way as we use the title "King,") is mentioned in Abraham 1:6. The problem here is that "Pharaoh" was not used as a title for a ruler of Egypt before 1504 BC, during the reign of Tutmosis III, which was after Abraham's time. The LDS argues that Joseph was merely using the word "Pharaoh" as a direct translation of the word "king," but this could not possibly have been the case because he obviously thought that Pharaoh was actually the king's first name, according to Facsimile 3, Figure 2, which reads, "King Pharaoh, whose name is given in characters above his head."

There's evidence in his writings that the vision he claimed to see is dramatically different from the official version of the LDS. If you had read the first page I posted (which you claimed to) you would see where these different versions come from. I thought you said you investigated their claims, yet now don't know?

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Are you a Mormon Vampyregirl?

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Oooooo religion! One of the three topics one should not engage in polite conversation. The other being politics and the other is income.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

She'd be behaving very oddly if she wasn't.

10. SamW11

SamW11 Valued Member

Are Mormons allowed to practice martial arts?

I'm not an expert but I'm sure our neighbours said they weren't allowed when they found out my husband is an instructor!

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Vamp is alright then as she doesn't actually do any martial arts

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I'm not trying to jump on the bandwagon and attack you here, but it is ironic that you accuse Hannibal of being a conspiracy theorist given the tone of the numerous threads you've created here recently. It seems you are the more likely candidate for wild conspiracy theories.

I don't understand what you hope to accomplish with threads like this one. Are you purposefully trying to be objectionable? By now you must realize this community isn't open to many of these ideas.

13. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Ed Parker was a mormon, and I believe he dabbled in martial arts :p

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There are a lot of parallels between the Dead Sea scrolls and the Bible. Given that they tackle the same subject matter, were written by the same sort of people at around the same time and were basically books deemed heretical after the Bible was compiled. This parallelism is hardly surprising.

Maybe he just read the Bible and some scripture.

15. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

16. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

You are so wrong on that front. It took me 5 minutes of research on the official LDS website to find the answer. So could I respectfully ask that you at least do some research using valid sources before inflicting any more of these threads on us.

http://www.lds.org/study/topics/polygamy-plural-marriage?lang=eng&query=joseph+smith+polygamy

17. finite monkey

finite monkey Thought Criminal

Nice theory you got there John. Who's she working for?

But tell me this why would any man in his right mind want more than one wife..?

WHY?

18. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Masochists might enjoy it.

19. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

on a serious note, The main reason mormons are not well thought of is the out thereed ness of their religious views (racism, polygamy, the whole guy who says he is the only who can seee the gold tablets from god , native americans being evil and semi Jewish) the fact that they bother people in their homes etc.
    like other religions of that ilk i avoid them like the plague.

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Cooking, cleaning etc. Many hands make light work. I'm also fairly sure Joseph Smith had cottoned onto the fact that people tend to follow the same faith they were born into. For example if you were born into a Catholic family, the chances are you'll be a Catholic your whole life. So many wives equals so many more children. More children equals a bigger following.

It's how you lay the foundations for a major religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.