More of a sport than a martial art?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by MABeginner314, Oct 11, 2014.

1. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

I've read on a few different sites that TKD is taught in terms of gaining points rather than delivering KOs in the majority of schools. Is this true? It seem such a shame for the amazing kicks in TKD to be wasted in this manner. Is it futile trying to find a school where it is not taught like this?

I also wonder what you more experienced guys think about doing TKD as a first style and as someone who is tall and overweight. Do you think I should try another style before TKD? Will being tall and overweight handicap what I can do in TKD? I understand you need to be quite flexible and nimble. I initially wanted to do something like hapkido which focuses on blocks and so forth but I understand the techniques are not very applicable and so I kept looking. I think TKDs kicks are awesome and I like the application of physics in TKD.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Get to a TKD school and your flexibility and nimbleness will increase.

It's a great art and many confuse Olympic style sparring with the sort of stuff you'll do in a regular class.

I had the same when I started Kung Fu. There's the stuff in the movies, which is what everyone thought I did, and then there was the stuff I actually did.

Get to class, you'll love it.

One last thing. Don't get fooled into thinking the point scorers aren't powerful.

3. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

So you don't think my height will be a limiting factor? I mean I am damn sure I can be more flexible than I am now but does it limit it ultimately?

This is why I came here to ask since a lot of people talk about styles they know nothing about, I wanted to get to the truth of the matter.

Kung Fu gets slated a lot on various martial arts forums and stuff. Is it really impractical or is it just more of people talking about things they don't understand?

I have no idea how powerful they are, I've never even been to a class. I've just read a few stories (including one from a person who studied TKD who switched to kickboxing) about people from TKD transitioning to other styles and having no idea how to fight...

4. Simon

You can and will improve your flexibility, even though you are tall.

I would suggest TKD would be one of the better arts for this.

Power comes from correct timing, body mechanics and balance. TKD will teach you this.

5. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

Thanks for the tips. It is actually the design of the moves in TKD that take advantage of these things that interest me. The emphasis on speed for power for example.

6. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it would be more worthwhile to have say an hour of 1on1 tuition or 2 hours of class time?

7. StooXex

StooXex Valued Member

My opinion is go to the class.

8. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

Care to elaborate as to why? I'm curious about this question since I've been advised that personal tuition leads to faster progress multiple times.

9. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

1to1 is usually better if there is something in particular you want to work on. If your new to something then I'd recomend group sessions until you get to a point where your progress hits a plateau, that's when is advise 1to1 training. That's what's worked best for me in the past but others may feel differently.

Because of the expense I rarely have any 1to1 sessions any more, group training does me fine. I still feel I can get enough attention from my instructors to progress and it so much lighter on the wallet :)

10. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

I see, thanks for the input. I'd actually been told the exact opposite to that, i.e. that learning the basics really benefits from the 1on1 and then when you reach an experienced level then you should go to class so you can help others improve and improve yourself (and spar more hopefully). This is the only problem I'm having with the martial arts community, not that I get different advice from different people (that is to be expected) but that I get literally the polar opposite, do you see what I mean?

11. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

I can see how that could be frustrating for you. I'm sure other people have had plenty of success doing it that way around and all power to them if it's working. I have my way of learning and it's done me well so far :)

This is one of those things that makes MA interesting and difficult, everyone is different. People learn and progress better in different settings and it's very much a personal journey discovering what interests you and finding out how you learn best and discovering what you excel at and what you struggle with. It takes experimentation and time to find these things out.

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The first question is, "What do you want to gain from training in a MA?"

The second is, "Where are you and what's available in your area?"

Without knowing what your goals are it's difficult to answer any questions, and without knowing where you are in the world and what's available it's hard to know what to recommend.

A well taught TKD class should make you fitter, more flexible and faster. The sport aspect will keep you honest in some ways; you can't tell everyone how awesome your kicks are if you're getting hoofed round the gym every night by the other people in the class.

If you fancy answering the questions (you don't need to be too specific) we might be able to offer more help :)

Mitch

13. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

Yes, I suppose it does make it interesting! That is definitely the way I will look at it from now. :)
    I think I'll book in a private session and then discuss with the teacher (sensei, sifu or something? Sorry, I'm new!) Thanks again Jeff!

14. Mitch

It will, yes, but the question is whether it's worth the extra expense when you're starting out. Sometimes your body just needs to keep working on something, and those repetitions can be in a normal class just as well as an expensive private lesson.

More than that, you gain a lot from working with a variety of people with different ways of moving. Plus it's more fun training with a load of friends :)

Mitch

15. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

I'm sorry, I was going to include a lot of information but I thought that might be a bit demanding to ask you to read it so I figured I would wait to see if you had any questions. The answer to the first is: I want to get fitter, I'd like to enjoy myself while doing the first thing and hopefully I'd like to protect myself in a fight. In fact, it was that last point that made me seek a martial art that focused on defence since I'm really not a violent person, quite the opposite.

The answer to the second is: There isn't a whole lot available in my area, I found an academy willing to offer private tuition or classes. There is also a big kickboxing place that focuses on aggression and real-world situations but that didn't seem for me. There is a few other styles too.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to spar too - I just worry it may not be very applicable as everyone says.

16. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

So it will definitely speed my progress? If there is no benefit then I will go for classes (I mean it is really expensive). Oh and I forgot to say I live in England in the last post.

17. Mitch

Set aside the self defence thing for a moment, we'll come back to that.

TKD or kickboxing will certainly get you fitter if they are decent classes. Padwork, supplemental exercises, sparring, will all get you fitter. How much you enjoy the process to a large extent depends on the class and Instructor. If you "click" with the people and Instructor it'll be fun, if you don't it won't. As a result you need to get along to class and find out :)

Now let's look at self defence. This will depend on which country you are in to some extent, because here in the UK for example, I have very little chance of meeting someone with a gun. In America more so. But the reality is that self defence is violent. You know the quote about, "Nasty, brutish and short?" That's the physical side of self defence. There is of course an enormous soft skills/verbal side which is more important and generally ignored in MA classes.

Let's put the two together for a minute. As PASmith here on MAP is fond of pointing out, people in The West generally die of diseases related to inactivity and poor diet, not from violent assault. As a result, your best form of "self defence" may just be taking up an active sport that encourages good diet and pushes you physically.

TKD might well be that, if you enjoy it enough to do it regularly and stick with it :)

Mitch

Edit to add: Just saw you are in England, what's the nearest city?

18. MABeginner314

MABeginner314 New Member

I've seen some demonstrations of TKD and I certainly got the impression it would! :)

That is exactly my concern, I've never been a people person. I'm analytical, logical, sceptical (and according to most people, damn annoying) so I worry we won't, as you say, click.

I thought MA was going to be an alternative to the violence, i.e. just be able to block attacks and perhaps pin them until they calm down or something hence my interest in hapkido etc. As I understand it now, this isn't possible. Oh I know, it is like when people say they want to learn an MA for if they get mugged or something... You know what I'd do if someone pulled a knife and demanded my wallet? I'd give them my wallet and run away, like a little girl! I'm doing my best to become more social and I'm worried this is going to put me face to face with this kind of situation. I'd like to have it to fall back on if the situation arises and cannot be avoided.

Newcastle or Middlesbrough but neither are close...

19. Simon

Nothing wrong with this approach.

It's my experience that existing students like newcomers.

Turn up and do your best and you'll be helped along by the existing students.

20. Mitch

Your reaction to getting mugged at knife point would be mine too, plus, I suspect, that of any reasonable person :)

There is a place for defensive SD, but, in my opinion anyway, it's at a lower level when you're dealing with drunken friends/relatives rather than serious assaults.

As for the social thing? Let me put it this way. You don't spend years getting fit then go train in and art, you go train and get fit at the same time. Same with the social thing. You go train and find out if you can get on with the people there.

The commonality is the "go train" bit :D

Newcastle and Middlesbrough will have a ton of choices, for anything more local Google away! The Org I teach for has a map of schools at the bottom of this page in case that's any help :)

Mitch