Moon Knife

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by hwarang cl, Mar 14, 2007.

1. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Anybody know where a moonknife may be purchased, I am also looking for a cutting one as well.

2. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Some knives

Not exactly perfect but cool.

Good luck on getting a cutting one. You'll probably have to go custom for that.

Is KJN Harmon teaching this now?

Edit: look for "Kwan Dao Swords" on the site. Listed under weapons.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  3. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

4. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

ImaJayhawk, that looks sweet. How could we get it here though?
    The price isn't bad, about $475.

5. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

We could take a trip to Korea. :D Maybe they will ship overseas, if not you'd have to make a Korean friend. :)

6. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

7. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

Definitily need a Korean friend. The swords on there look just like the cutting swords we have, but a hell of a lot cheaper. I wonder if these guys make the Kuk Sool swords.

8. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Thx.
    Um no, but does that mean I cant make one up. :D

9. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

10. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

Ok I went back and read an article by Jane Hollander on the "chung jung whule do" and it seemed to indicate that it was the same as the Chinese kwan-do. And of course there is a debate over where it originated...China or Korea. This is the article with Chun Duk Lee in it titled "Korea's Moon Knife or ... a Chinese kwan-do by any other name".

So if you are looking to buy one search for a kwan-do since they are easier to find...

11. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

Im sorry I didnt see the difference. I have seen a weapon that looks like a regular sword attached to a staff. Not sure what its called. The only reason I could give you for the difference in blade thickness would be it was designed for a different target, Horse vs. human, but IDK.

12. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

Great article. Of course, I'm partial to that particular master. :)

13. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

There really is no difference. What is debatable is where the weapon originated. Koreans will say it was part of the Korean culture first and Chinese will say it came from theirs. The moon knife is represented in the Muye Dobo Tongji.

14. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

There's a japanese version of this called the naginata. I think.

15. KSW_KJN

KSW_KJN Valued Member

There are a few differences between the moon knife/kwan-do and the naginata. First, the naginata is thinner and usually longer than the moon knife. Second, the ridges along the back of a naginata all face downward. There is a upward facing ridge on the moon knife typically which is used to catch a weapon along the back side of the blade should an attack occur. Additionally, I haven't seen many naginata that have spear points at the base of the shaft, whereas the moon knife often will. Hope this helps.

16. Choiyoungwoo

Choiyoungwoo Guest

naginata is significantly lighter than moon knife. it is often practiced by women in japan as the alternative to kendo. it is very cool to see traditional naginata, every bit as compelling as trad kendo. but the ladies really make it more fun to watch. it is stirring to see such beautiful women training like that. :rolleyes:

moon knife is MUCH heavier

17. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

18. ImaJayhawk

ImaJayhawk Valued Member

19. swntzu

swntzu has left MAP for a bit

Naginata looks really cool. I may start up kendo when I have more time in the following year.

In that case what is the difference (if any) between the Guan Do and the Moon Knife?

20. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

thx for the clips jayhawk, nice to see something differant.